Thread: Mobile Network Not Available

Feedback Score

Mobile Network Not Available

I downloaded Fishing Diary from the Google App store. While I was playing, my phone turned off. since then it has cycled on and off. I have read enough to know this is called bootlooping. I am android ignorant.

I uninstalled app and this continued.

I took my battery and sim card out for awhile and put it back and it continued.

I then went into Task Manager and forced closed apps and probably closed the wrong apps

Now I get this: "Mobile Network Not Available" I can no longer make calls or use text. For proficient android users, I am sure you know how to resolve. I probably need to turn an app on that controls the mobile network.

I did check settings:

Wireless & networks> Mobile networks> Use packet data (check) > Data roaming (check) >System selected (tried home; nada) >tried automatic; nada

I called Straight Talk. They said phone is defective, mail it back but that means I will have no form of communication for at least 10 days. I am POSITIVE support just doesn't know how to troubleshoot. The guy said his script told him to mail it back lol. Given the logical sequence of events, I am sure I triggered the problems.

I don't want to do factory reset because I don't know enough about the specifics of backing up and restoring.

Do any of you android savy folks know what I need to put in place to fix this?

I have done alot of searching on this topic but the results are complex rooting problems with steps that don't apply, and I didn't even root this phone.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am guessing that there is critical file corrupted in the phone. I am not sure what type of phone you have, but you probably need a full system restore on the phone.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help! the phone is through Straight Talk; Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. I think I am backed up to Google with auto-sync. This means I can restore lost information, correct?

also I monkied with Networks and turned Airplane mode on and off. When I check airplane mode is off but now I have a airplane icon at the the top. I had "mobile network not available" b4 this but I am sure my phone sounds confused at this point...

Feedback Score
    Okay so I see this is happening with the Straight Talk Proclaim and I go to their forum to find a solution. (I have to sign up to see it and give my real name) Well everytime someone says they have this problem, a moderator says give me your email, we can discuss this offline. Or better yet give me your phone number...to which the reply is My phone doesn't work!

I posted my problem there but it is not getting on the forum so ST is not disclosing the depth of the problem. It looks like they are only allowing it to surface a few times but then the mod steps in and moves the conversation. (which looks like a reoccurring theme with any problems reported)

I did a factory reset. No bootlooping but no signal.

I called *22890 and programming failed with error message

also, please note in:

Settings> about phone>

MEID Unknown, Phone Number: unknown, MIN: unkwown, Service Stae: out of service, Mobile network state: Disconnected, etc. This was like this before factory reset. This same settings problem was reported in ST forum on the Proclaim.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You might try to contact the Samsung site for help. I am wondering if there was a catastrophic crash of the phone firmware. Sorry to hear of your issue. Let us know what happens.

Phones
    LG Droid Lucid 2
    LG Droid Lucid 2 (Current)
    HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The guy said his script told him to mail it back lol
    This struck me so funny! LoL

Anyway, yes, I agree it sounds like the phone is corrupted. Samsung may be able to give you more educated troubleshooting advice than the people at Smart Talk, but at the end of the day, I think the outcome of exchanging the phone will be the right answer. Your contacts, emails and calendar information will be backed up by Google, yes. So when you activate the new phone and log into your Gmail account, that information will be restored.

edited to add: If you have any paid apps purchased through Google Play, you'll also be able to download them again to the new phone without having to purchase them again. But I would recommend downloading apps one at a time to rule each of them out as a problem app. I probably wouldn't download Fishing Diary again, though, as that seems to be the start of the problem.
    Peace

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by susanmary428 View Post
    This struck me so funny! LoL

Anyway, yes, I agree it sounds like the phone is corrupted. Samsung may be able to give you more educated troubleshooting advice than the people at Smart Talk, but at the end of the day, I think the outcome of exchanging the phone will be the right answer. Your contacts, emails and calendar information will be backed up by Google, yes. So when you activate the new phone and log into your Gmail account, that information will be restored.

edited to add: If you have any paid apps purchased through Google Play, you'll also be able to download them again to the new phone without having to purchase them again. But I would recommend downloading apps one at a time to rule each of them out as a problem app. I probably wouldn't download Fishing Diary again, though, as that seems to be the start of the problem.
    Sound advice! I'm not monkeying with advanced troubleshooting anymore! I bought a cheap ST back up phone for hubby & I to activate & reactivate as needed. I live way out in country and feel safer having phone while driving.