Thread: Stuck on ECF pre-new policy -- what should I do?

Feedback Score

Angry Stuck on ECF pre-new policy -- what should I do?

Hi guys - from what I understand, since Jan 2012 there was a newer, much more fair policy enacted by Rogers for early cancellation fees (instead of $500 lump fee, person would pay a fraction of economic inducement).

I am unlucky to have signed on a few months before the new rules were in place. I am now planning on leaving Canada so I need to cancel Rogers plan - and it's going to cost me a total of $475, which includes voice and data fees. Plus I want to unlock it ($50)...and if you consider I paid $170 cash when I signed on for the phone, I am feeling crappy.

My question is, is there any way to have them give me the new cancellation policy? I'd much rather pay that than the one I am on. Any tips or experience?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley1234 View Post
    Hi guys - from what I understand, since Jan 2012 there was a newer, much more fair policy enacted by Rogers for early cancellation fees (instead of $500 lump fee, person would pay a fraction of economic inducement).

I am unlucky to have signed on a few months before the new rules were in place. I am now planning on leaving Canada so I need to cancel Rogers plan - and it's going to cost me a total of $475, which includes voice and data fees. Plus I want to unlock it ($50)...and if you consider I paid $170 cash when I signed on for the phone, I am feeling crappy.

My question is, is there any way to have them give me the new cancellation policy? I'd much rather pay that than the one I am on. Any tips or experience?

Thank you!
    From what it sounds like they are forcing people to take phones so the ECF will be higher then the 12.50. You could find a cheap phone that would cost less then your current ECF and try that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    From what it sounds like they are forcing people to take phones so the ECF will be higher then the 12.50. You could find a cheap phone that would cost less then your current ECF and try that.
    I don't fully understand. Do you mean start a new term with a new phone that is hopefully cheaper than the current ECF I owe?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley1234 View Post
    I don't fully understand. Do you mean start a new term with a new phone that is hopefully cheaper than the current ECF I owe?
    You could do that yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ircu View Post
    You could do that yes.
    It's mid 2013, I'm guessing Rogers closed all the loopholes with renewing without a hardware upgrade or signing a retention deal and all that stuff by now?

So the only way to get out of the old ECF is to do a hardware upgrade and then hopefully sell off the phone?

DH is offline I've got more phones than fingers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ktong747 View Post
    It's mid 2013, I'm guessing Rogers closed all the loopholes with renewing without a hardware upgrade or signing a retention deal and all that stuff by now?

So the only way to get out of the old ECF is to do a hardware upgrade and then hopefully sell off the phone?
    The only way they could have fixed it would be to enforce the existing term on plan changes.

Unless it has changed, switching to or from a family plan automatically renewed your term

What ircu is suggesting is upgrading to a $89.99 prepaid phone which used to be $9.99 + $35.

Then your economic inducement would be $80 ($89.99 - $9.99), plus $12.50 SDF and 30 days.

May or may not be cheaper depending on your current ECF as above would be $137 + 30 days.