Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: confused about galaxy proclaim on Verizon

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score

confused about galaxy proclaim on Verizon

I read somewhere that the Galaxy Proclaim runs on Verizon network and that through Straight Talk you only get Verizon prepaid coverage, no roaming.

My husband currently has the R451c with Net10 service and it works everywhere he goes and roams on other networks if needed.

If he buys the Galaxy Proclaim from Net10 will he have the same service he has now with roaming? And does that apply to just calls and not 3G internet?

He would like to have a phone that works in remote areas (VZ coverage with roaming) but also have a better internet experience than on the R451c.

Feedback Score
    A Net10 representative emailed me that data/web is available in your "activation area" only. I take this for no data/web while roaming. Unfortunately, I do not have experience myself, but call Net10 and see what a representative says.

Feedback Score
    The consensus is: Net10 internet is not dependable, and Verizon native coverage only...no roaming.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    From all the evidence posted here on HoFo over the years, we know that CDMA service from the "regular" TracFone and Net10 choices has been as you describe, mommusic. Meaning that there is roaming to a certain degree to other CDMA carriers like U.S. Cellular and other smaller carriers.

However, we also now know (from anecdotal reports from members) that the Verizon Wireless coverage provided by the Proclaim under the $45 plan from Straight Talk and the $50 plan from Net10 is native-network, non-roaming only. You should expect data coverage to follow that of voice.

I think the statement "Net10 internet is not dependable" is about as misleading as that reported to be from a company rep, that "data/web is available in your 'activation area' only". The latter statement has been seen before, and sounds like a rep reciting some badly worded support-speak that may even have a hint of language/communication difficulty. The former statement is a bit of an overstatement, IMO. The "internet" should be as dependable as the voice coverage.

So as far as getting on the Proclaim what you have on the "regular" Trac/Net10 CDMA coverage, no, it won't be as extensive, not even bringing the data aspect into the equation.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your replies. That's what I was afraid of.

I really wouldn't want to spend $180 and then find out that he doesn't have the coverage he has been used to from net10 with his current phone.

He wanted to get smartphone, but I told him that the Proclaim is the first smartphone that runs on VZ from ST, net10. And that it only gets prepaid coverage.

He really only calls most of the time, some text and very little web.
    He usually has 300 min of the 750 min of the $25 plan left at the end of the month, with the Proclaim he'd pay $50 just for adding the internet (3G), and then his phone might not work most places he works.

He has a tablet that he wanted to share the internet of the phone with and I told him he wouldn't be allowed to do that anyway.

So I think we're better off with a dumbphone that he can get dependable call coverage with.

I got him a Samsung R355c because his other phone was shutting off whenever he locked it.

I read reviews and it's supposed to be as good if not better as far as reception, call quality and loudness compared to the R451c

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mommusic View Post
    I really wouldn't want to spend $180 and then find out that he doesn't have the coverage he has been used to from net10 with his current phone.

He wanted to get smartphone, but I told him that the Proclaim is the first smartphone that runs on VZ from ST, net10. And that it only gets prepaid coverage.

I got him a Samsung R355c because his other phone was shutting off whenever he locked it.
    The R355c is also using VZ, with the same limitations that the Proclaim would have.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure it's already been established from the first post that non-smart "C" model phones roam to other CDMA carriers (depending on the agreements in effect in a given area), which is the perk mommusic's husband is looking for. This trumps what the Proclaim can do in that regard.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    My understanding was that none of the CDMA phones from ST supported roaming (unlike the GSM phones which roam without data), and the "home" network was the pre-paid network for that carrier (VZ or Sprint).

NET10 and TF do have some roaming agreements with CDMA carriers.

So I would expect all the CDMA phones from NET10 to have the same coverage.
    I've seen nothing posted before now that contradicts that.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 09-07-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps I've made a few hasty assumptions here. Let's review.

I'm assuming the R355C mommusic replaced the R451C with is also on Net10. Yes/no? If yes, then there would be no Proclaim-like roaming restrictions. If no (if it's on ST instead), then...

...I would have assumed that Straight Talk's "dumb" CDMA phones would have the same roaming deals as TracFone/Net10's (dumb phones), but I could be wrong.

I also have no reason to think there's any difference between the Proclaim on ST vs. Net10, as far as roaming.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    The info I've seen says ST doesn't do roaming with any CDMA phones, be they dumb or smart.

NET10 and TF do (or at least have in the past) allowed roaming with CDMA phones.

Carriers
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Regarding the Proclaim: will the Andoid app "FoxFi" operate? ..ie a wifi tethering app.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Have you considered a GSM phone for your area you would have a ton of options with BYOD or they have androids with AT&T postpaid coverage now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kalev76 View Post
    Regarding the Proclaim: will the Andoid app "FoxFi" operate? ..ie a wifi tethering app.

it will work, however you must keep your useage under 100mb a day and don't go over 2gb a month
    or you will get a call from net10.

Feedback Score
    I have the Proclaim.....

Yes, Foxfi works sometimes but most of the time data shuts off for hours immediately after I activate it. Not sure if its coincidence or not.

I live in So Cal and have used it in Nevada without a problem.

You can purchase the Net10 Proclaim on Amazon for $139, $40 less than on Net10 site.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Just to clarify, yes, my husband's original phone R451c and now the current phone R355c are both the Net10 versions.

He has never tried ST, he only uses about 450 min a month so the Net10 $25 plan is a better deal for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast