Feedback Score

I have a Verizon iPhone 4S and want to move to a prepaid plan, but not theirs.

I am out of contract and want to move to an all inclusive prepaid plan. But I don't think my iPhone 4S from Verizon will work on Straight Talk.

Wondering which Carriers will work with my Verizon iPhone4s.
    and if there are any compelling reasons to go with a particular carrier.

If push comes to shove I will consider getting an iPhone that can be used on a Straight Talk, and use the one I now have on a different Verizon number.

Thanks from Washington DC

Feedback Score
    There's people that have gotten Verizon iPhone on Page Plus although they are not officially allowed, I personally haven't tried one on there so I cannot comment on it. Best bet would be sell it and get a GSM and use straight talk/red pocket depending on data needs. Virgin has the iPhone but their network is a joke in a lot of parts of the country so YMMV with that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I use an off-contract Verizon Android phone on Page Plus. Coverage is great here and they have good customer service. For my usage (calls/ texts/WiFi combined with Google Voice and WiFi calling), it's a fantastic deal. I pay $80 a year and it more than fits my needs. That said, there are three problems you might encounter in your case.

1. As Chriss1928 said, officially speaking iPhones are banned on Page Plus. My understanding is that you can activate the phone and use it but they can disconnect your service at any time. From what I've read, that rarely if ever happens. For support for your phone, you'd have to go to Apple or to a Page Plus dealer. You could also get help from the Page Plus forum or of course searching Google.
    2. If you choose to get data on Page Plus (not required), it's expensive. The top plan is the only one with much data, and it's $55/mo for unlimited calls, unlimited text, and 2GB of data. The cheaper plans only have 100 MB, 10 MB, or $0.99/MB. On my phone, I only use WiFi and have data turned off on my account.
    3. Although Page Plus has the same network coverage as Verizon, roaming costs extra. According to the coverage map, native coverage is good in Washington DC, but there is a large roaming area in parts of Virginia and West Virginia.

If Page Plus interests you, see these two threads: FAQ for iPhone on Page Plus and the unofficial Page Plus FAQ.

There's another possibility that may or may not work, and if it does work it might not work well. The iPhone 4S is a world phone, which means it has a GSM radio and support for 3G SIM cards. However, because you chose to activate yours on Verizon it's not supposed to be able to work on the AT&T network (which Straight Talk uses). I know for a fact that Android world phones from Verizon can be made to work on AT&T by unlocking them and installing a custom ROM. Maybe the same can be done with an iPhone 4S by jailbreaking and unlocking, but I do not know for sure. Jailbreaking is legal but voids the warranty (and makes OS updates a problem), and modifying your phone's baseband for the unlock could brick your iPhone. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get 3G or if you'd be limited to EDGE (2G, like 56K dial-up), though I suspect the former. Also, Straight Talk's customer service is horrendously bad.
    Last edited by Slinkwyde; 08-13-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I second the previous posts. Either put your VZW iPhone 4S on PPC, or if you want to be on Straight Talk you should sell it and buy an unlocked GSM iPhone 4S. A VZW iPhone 4S - even when officially unlocked - will not work on domestic GSM networks, only foreign ones.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Galaxy SIII (Ting)
    Misc T-Mobile Prepaid phones
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    T-Mobile PP
    Feedback Score
    I wonder why the CDMA carriers refuse to fully unlock their iPhones. Besides being a money grabbing operation to lock you in, is there a technical issue with it being a dual technology phone?
    - acadiel

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    I wonder why the CDMA carriers refuse to fully unlock their iPhones. Besides being a money grabbing operation to lock you in, is there a technical issue with it being a dual technology phone?
    Carriers demanded it and Apple agreed. There are no technical reasons.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You'd have to use a gevey sim, from what I understand. However, you still have to be careful with updates, lest you lose the capability; it's dependent on the modem baseband. CDMA providers are really awful when it comes to moving to another network; they've locked down the network to where a factory unlocked phone from apple doesn't work on a cdma provider.
    If your verizon is world unlocked, you should be able to sell it for a decent price out of country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    There's another possibility that may or may not work, and if it does work it might not work well. The iPhone 4S is a world phone, which means it has a GSM radio and support for 3G SIM cards. However, because you chose to activate yours on Verizon it's not supposed to be able to work on the AT&T network (which Straight Talk uses). I know for a fact that Android world phones from Verizon can be made to work on AT&T by unlocking them and installing a custom ROM. Maybe the same can be done with an iPhone 4S by jailbreaking and unlocking, but I do not know for sure.
    "I wish for a world of peace, harmony, and naked men."