Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ") Page (Updated 3/20/2014)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    I'll add these to the next version of the FAQ.

I'm assuming that the ST map you posted is now several years old, and so I wouldn't rely on it for accurate coverage today...
    Its from the beginning of this year

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

Save money on AT&T Prepaid (GoPhone)
    Join my Multi-Line Discount Group

$65 plan for $49.5, $45 plan for $31.5, $35 plan for $22.50

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Just an update: It appears that you can use considerably more than 100 MB of data in a day without trouble. There have been reports on Hofo of using 150 MB to 450 MB in a single day without issues. However, the reports also seem to indicate that above 2GB in a 30-day service period might result in throttling.

I plan to update this FAQ in the next month or so.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Feedback Score
    If you wish to switch from one phone to another do not do so unless you have 90 days or less service remaining on your account. Do not switch from one phone to another more than once every seven days.
    By "switch phones" do you mean through the website, or simply swapping sim cards (if on a GSM phone)?

Also, how common are these problems with number porting?

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I was referring to changing the active ESN/MEID on your Straight Talk Account, and NOT to simply swapping the SIM from one phone to another.

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    By "switch phones" do you mean through the website, or simply swapping sim cards (if on a GSM phone)?

Also, how common are these problems with number porting?

Device(s)
    lg8000
    Feedback Score
    Whats the best place to buy refill cards from

Device(s)
    Moto G4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guster75 View Post
    Walmart's website. Many cash back sites have Walmart as a cash back possibility. The only other place to buy cards online is on Straight Talk's website.
    Not bad for a free unlimited line from Sprint!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guster75 View Post
    We also use walmart.com and since we have a NH address we pay no sales tax. Of course, nothing gets shipped since you simply receive an email with the PIN code.
    Pete
    her phone: T-mobile M919 Galaxy S4 (gpe Lollipop 5.1 rooted) on Cricket (AT&T)
    his phone: T-mobile M919 Galaxy S4 (gpe Lollipop 5.1 rooted) on Cricket (AT&T)
    tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Android 4.2 rooted)

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel, now Verizon, with Alltel Plan
    Feedback Score
    I am considering Straight Talk as an alternative for my daughter. Currently she's on a non-smartphone on our Verizon Alltel grandfathered family plan, where I still have unlimited data. If I upgrade her to a data plan, I'll lose my unlimited data!

So I am considering getting her on her own - 2gb data limit wouldn't likely be a problem for her. Net cost to her would be the same as on our Verizon plan (where she'd be limited to 2gb anyway).

I have a Galaxy Nexus, which I love, so was happy to see that as a recommendation in this thread, but when I go to Google's site, it is no longer being sold (by them at least). They are however selling the Nexus 4, 16gb for that same $349, which looks interesting. Would the Nexus 4 provide the same benefits/advantages working with Straight Talk as the Galaxy Nexus as discussed above?

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
    I am considering Straight Talk as an alternative for my daughter. Currently she's on a non-smartphone on our Verizon Alltel grandfathered family plan, where I still have unlimited data. If I upgrade her to a data plan, I'll lose my unlimited data!

So I am considering getting her on her own - 2gb data limit wouldn't likely be a problem for her. Net cost to her would be the same as on our Verizon plan (where she'd be limited to 2gb anyway).

I have a Galaxy Nexus, which I love, so was happy to see that as a recommendation in this thread, but when I go to Google's site, it is no longer being sold (by them at least). They are however selling the Nexus 4, 16gb for that same $349, which looks interesting. Would the Nexus 4 provide the same benefits/advantages working with Straight Talk as the Galaxy Nexus as discussed above?

Thanks!
    Yes, Nexus 4 is a Pentaband phone as well and can be used with Straight Talk AT&T or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post
    Yes, Nexus 4 is a Pentaband phone as well and can be used with Straight Talk AT&T or T-Mobile.
    Many thanks for the quick reply. Sounds encouraging. The Nexus 4 looks like a pretty capable phone.

We're in NC, north of the Charlotte area. Any reason to go with AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, in terms of geographic coverage, or available Data speeds? We've been on Verizon for years, and really aren't tuned in to the GSM issues. Am I correct that if I order the Straight Talk SIM, I would need to choose one or the other? Or is there some way to get the best of both?

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
    Many thanks for the quick reply. Sounds encouraging. The Nexus 4 looks like a pretty capable phone.

We're in NC, north of the Charlotte area. Any reason to go with AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, in terms of geographic coverage, or available Data speeds? We've been on Verizon for years, and really aren't tuned in to the GSM issues. Am I correct that if I order the Straight Talk SIM, I would need to choose one or the other? Or is there some way to get the best of both?

Thanks!
    Yes, you should order the sim that you want to go with. Coverage depends on the area, but in general, T-Mobile HSPA speeds are faster than AT&T speeds, but AT&T has better coverage.

I bought a T-Mobile sim for the Nexus 4 and went to the T-Mobile store to have them cut it to Micro sim. If I don't like the coverage, I'll buy the AT&T sim and switch.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again. This looks like a viable option.
    I'd prefer the Nexus 4 had true LTE, but I guess this wouldn't be any use with Straight Talk anyway. I also think it's crazy to not have a MicroSD slot (one of the few things I don't like about my Galaxy Nexus), but 16gb should probably be enough for her.

Feedback Score
    Anyone here in bay area using straight talk sim? Specifically around Sunnyvale/Mountain view area. I am currently with AT&T and get horrible voice reception at home (data is fine).. Is it better to go with AT&T of t-mobile sim on ST here? I will be using with Nexus 4.

Also, T-mobiles $50 monthly 4G plan is pretty good price too... For $5 more it gives true unlimited data (throttled to 3g after 2gb.. but atleast not banned like ST)..

Any suggestions?

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I suggest that you create a thread and ask the question there. You're fare more likely to get an answer that way.

Quote Originally Posted by walletless View Post
    Anyone here in bay area using straight talk sim? Specifically around Sunnyvale/Mountain view area. I am currently with AT&T and get horrible voice reception at home (data is fine).. Is it better to go with AT&T of t-mobile sim on ST here? I will be using with Nexus 4.

Also, T-mobiles $50 monthly 4G plan is pretty good price too... For $5 more it gives true unlimited data (throttled to 3g after 2gb.. but atleast not banned like ST)..

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    i have an extra sim with tmobile compatability . right now i m with att sim, can i switch to tmobile and test it out and if i don't like it can i switch back ?
    just trying to check tmobile 1900 hspa+ network here in chicago.
    any one ?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast