Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ") Page (Updated 3/20/2014)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raydm View Post
    i have an extra sim with tmobile compatability . right now i m with att sim, can i switch to tmobile and test it out and if i don't like it can i switch back ?
    just trying to check tmobile 1900 hspa+ network here in chicago.
    any one ?

yes, but you will need to buy a new AT&T sim.

Feedback Score

Re: Straight Talk Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ") - Updated 8/16/2012

Quote Originally Posted by raydm View Post
    i have an extra sim with tmobile compatability . right now i m with att sim, can i switch to tmobile and test it out and if i don't like it can i switch back ?
    just trying to check tmobile 1900 hspa+ network here in chicago.
    any one ?
    I have this same exact question i just started my service with the tmobile sim on a tmobile gs3 and my data has been horrendous I have previously had AT&T and it has been much better. I want to unlock my gs3 so I can use it with a AT&T sim card from straight talk I have only used 2 days on my tmobile one can they let me transfer my number along with my service to a new AT&T sim card? Ive been looking but couldnt find an answer thanks for you guy's help!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You will have to order a new AT&T sim card and have ST transfer everything over to it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How prudent do you recommend being? Should I keep my AT&T Account for a couple of weeks after I start with Straight Talk?

Background: I am in contract with AT&T until June 2014. Last June we used my upgrade to get my wife an iPhone 4S as she needed a phone and was not eligible for an upgrade at the time. Since then, her contract expired and she started a new job that gave her a phone. We ported her number to Google Voice, dropped her from our AT&T Family Plan, switched me to an individual plan, set me up on the 4S and have requested my iPhone 4 be unlocked through AT&T.

Now I am considering cancelling AT&T, paying the ETF ($275), porting my existing number to Google Voice and switching to Straight Talk. I would get a new number with ST and forward my GV to that number (I need to keep my current phone number). Even with the ETF, cost of SIM card, GV porting fees ($40 because I need to keep my current GV number as well,) AND buying a new, unlocked phone, I still come out ahead by $329 in 18 months (when I'd be eligible for an upgrade with AT&T).

The one plus for me to sticking with AT&T is I am grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.

So, in your opinion, should I double up for a month as I test ST? Or is that just a waste of $100?

Carrier(s)
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ") - Updated 8/16/2012

Quote Originally Posted by andreasthomson View Post
    So, in your opinion, should I double up for a month as I test ST? Or is that just a waste of $100?
    I personally ALWAYS thoroughly test drive an MVNO for a month or two before making any long-term commitment. I've read way too many horror stories about users enthusiastically jumping over an MVNO only then discovering there's something they can't live with.

Happy New Year to you...

John L.

Sent from an iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD!

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    I plan to update this FAQ in the next month or so.
    Thanks for the FAQ, are there any updates?

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, lots. But, I haven't had time.

The biggest one is that Straight Talk now has a number of other Android phones that run on Verizon, and just today released the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5, all of which are reported to run on Verizon's towers as well. It only provides 3G on Verizon's towers, but you can buy a Straight Talk AT&T SIM and use it to get HSDPA+, which some people call 3.5G and others call 4G lite.

I found these instructions on how to get the iPhone 5 to take ST's data and MMS settings, and am posting it here until I work it into the FAQ. Thanks to The1Law for posting the instructions:

----------------
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-on-a-iPhone-5

Finally got MMS working on my iphone 5. Took a while but it works now. Here's what I did. Don't forget to turn off LTE in settings. You won't need it on ST.

First off, remove the the unlockit.co.nz APN from the iphone. If you didn't download an APN then skip this step. If you don't remove it will screw it all up every time you try to change the APN settings. I forgot where it is but it's somewhere in settings, general... maybe under Cellular. It will say delete APN in red. Or you can reset the network settings to factory. Settings, general, reset, reset network settings. I would advise to do both.

1. Double click on the home button and close every single app.

2. Open the Notes app

3. Go to Settings > General

4. Insert the T-Mobile SIM (can be brand new/unactivated OR an old one that has had service) will bring up the Cellular option

5. Go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings. Reset the network.

6. Go into Cellular > Cellular Data Network when it shows up

7. Immediately take out the T-Mobile SIM and put the Straight Talk SIM back in while in the Cellular Data Network tab

8. Multitask between Cellular Data Network and the Notes app back and forth until the default non-working data & MMS APN are automatically entered. It is important to wait until the default APN settings show up

For those of you who don't know, click the home button twice to multitask between the two.

9. Once the APNs do show up, edit them manually

Cellular Data

APN: att.mvno

Username: *blank*

Password: *blank*

MMS

APN: att.mvno

Username: *blank*

Password: *blank*

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80

MMS Max Message Size: 1048576

MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

10. Go toggle Airplane Mode on and off, and then turn your iphone off and then back on

After Step 10, check that your data & mms ARE working. Then turn off your phone one more time and then back on again. Check data & mms again. Data should work but mms might not. If it doesn't, try this; go into Settings > Cellular > then toggle Cellular Data off and back on and everything should be working.

If it's not working for you, reset the network settings and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by naypalm[]maker View Post
    Thanks for the FAQ, are there any updates?
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Feedback Score
    So you would be able to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 and use it on StraightTalk with Verizon's towers?

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    Yeah, lots. But, I haven't had time.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Sort of.

Straight Talk now sells an unlocked iPhone at Walmart that will work on Verizon's towers. And if you want to instead use it on AT&T, you should be able to insert a ST AT&T SIM into that phone and use its on AT&T.

If you buy an iPhone via any other source, it can work on ST's AT&T SIM, but it won't work on Verizon's towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    So you would be able to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 and use it on StraightTalk with Verizon's towers?

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Buy 30-day service cards from walmart.com, and apply the card 14 days before your current plan will expire using straighttalk.com.
    Thanks for the new info on the iphone 5 and ST. I am curious though as to why you suggest activating an airtime card 14 days before your service ends.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Because if you allow your account to expire you may lose your phone number. Sometimes the card that you think is valid does not work, and if it doesn't work, you'll want to leave yourself plenty of time to spend hours on the phone getting ST to fix it, or to buy another one and apply it. Fourteen days seems like plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by naypalm[]maker View Post
    Thanks for the new info on the iphone 5 and ST. I am curious though as to why you suggest activating an airtime card 14 days before your service ends.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    One more update:

ST is known to bombard you with promotional text messages. They have the ability to turn these off, but you have to ask them. The best way to ask them to do so is via e-mail or Facebook. It might also work to call them, but I didn't do it that way. You'll still get texts confirming your refills, but that's it.

Feedback Score
    I have a question and this may not be the right place to ask but I don't know where the right place would be. I have ST service on an unlocked Samsung Solstice. I have been back and forth with ST via email and as usual they are zero help. My question is will a dying battery hinder your ability to make and receive calls and texts. The battery dies quickly, it can be fully charged when I go to bed and it will be dead the next morning. When I try to make a call I get 'emergency calls only' and when I try to send a text I get 'No service'. ST says the service is fine in my area and my husband is able to use his phone which is ST and a Samsung just a different model. I do not want to spend money for a battery if it will not fix these issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi2 View Post
    I have a question and this may not be the right place to ask but I don't know where the right place would be. I have ST service on an unlocked Samsung Solstice. I have been back and forth with ST via email and as usual they are zero help. My question is will a dying battery hinder your ability to make and receive calls and texts. The battery dies quickly, it can be fully charged when I go to bed and it will be dead the next morning. When I try to make a call I get 'emergency calls only' and when I try to send a text I get 'No service'. ST says the service is fine in my area and my husband is able to use his phone which is ST and a Samsung just a different model. I do not want to spend money for a battery if it will not fix these issues.
    you may need a new battery, 'emergency calls only' could be 1:the phone going bad, or
    you may not have the right sim card for your area. what service does your husband phone use (verizon
    AT&T or Tmobile or sprint)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick reply. We both use AT&T towers. We both use Straight Talk. I have a ST SIM in my phone and it has been fine until last week.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast