Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ") Page (Updated 3/20/2014)

Feedback Score
    Problem with my Straight Talk phone... error message SIM MM2 error? Can anyone help me with this? Cannot get an answer from ST via their forum or their Facebook page. MY frustration is growing.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Another FAQ Update:

Straight Talk appears to have stopped selling AT&T SIMs on their web-site. However, AT&T SIMs are currently still available at walmart.com. T-Mobile SIMS are still available on StraightTalk.com

T-Mobile GSM phones and Verizon CDMA phones have replaced AT&T GSM phones in markets where, previously, AT&T phones would have been sold. It is unclear if this is a permanent state of affairs or only temporary.

AT&T phones are still sold on ST's web-site, but only in markets where no other carrier is available. It is rumored that the SIM card in the Nokia E71, E5, 6790, LG Optimus Logic, and ZTE Merit are unlocked, and could be moved to another AT&T or unlocked GSM phone.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well it's been a month with Straight Talk and so far I've been quite pleased with the service. I've only had to call Customer Service twice about my Voicemail PIN magically changing by itself but I fixed that by disabling having to enter it each time I check it.

The reason why I went to Straight Talk was purely because of AT&T auto-adding their "premium" data plan and jacking my price to over $90 a month. But in case someone had the same problem with AT&T or T-Mobile, I thought I'd share what I did to make the switch to ST so smoothly.

1. Find your AT&T billing cycle end date and leave yourself a week to set up StraightTalk. AT&T Kindly left me with 5 days to spare...

2. (Optional but saved me headaches) ASAP Port your cell number to Google Voice for $20. The reason I went with GV was because I had a very short time to complete this and it takes only 24 hours. If you end up not liking StraightTalk, you can always try another provider and forward your original number to your new phone.

Google will cancel your AT&T account for you but be warned; If you are still under a contract, you will be charged a cancellation fee. You need to give them your Account Details such as the Account Number, PIN/Password and other contact info (Address, home phone, etc). http://tx0.org/58c

3. Buy a SIM + 1 month airtime card via walmart.com ($54.96)
    microSIM: http://tx0.org/58b
    Reg SIM: http://tx0.org/58a

4. When the SIM arrives, pop it into your GSM phone. Go to straighttalksim.com and activate your service and add your prepaid $45 code (walmart emails it to you the day you buy the SIM pack).

5. Change your mms, wap, and other settings to ST. They will display the settings on your screen after activation.

Thats it! I hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naypalm[]maker View Post
    Well it's been a month with Straight Talk and so far I've been quite pleased with the service. I've only had to call Customer Service twice about my Voicemail PIN magically changing by itself but I fixed that by disabling having to enter it each time I check it.

The reason why I went to Straight Talk was purely because of AT&T auto-adding their "premium" data plan and jacking my price to over $90 a month. But in case someone had the same problem with AT&T or T-Mobile, I thought I'd share what I did to make the switch to ST so smoothly.

1. Find your AT&T billing cycle end date and leave yourself a week to set up StraightTalk. AT&T Kindly left me with 5 days to spare...

2. (Optional but saved me headaches) ASAP Port your cell number to Google Voice for $20. The reason I went with GV was because I had a very short time to complete this and it takes only 24 hours. If you end up not liking StraightTalk, you can always try another provider and forward your original number to your new phone.

Google will cancel your AT&T account for you but be warned; If you are still under a contract, you will be charged a cancellation fee. You need to give them your Account Details such as the Account Number, PIN/Password and other contact info (Address, home phone, etc). http://tx0.org/58c

3. Buy a SIM + 1 month airtime card via walmart.com ($54.96)
    microSIM: http://tx0.org/58b
    Reg SIM: http://tx0.org/58a

4. When the SIM arrives, pop it into your GSM phone. Go to straighttalksim.com and activate your service and add your prepaid $45 code (walmart emails it to you the day you buy the SIM pack).

5. Change your mms, wap, and other settings to ST. They will display the settings on your screen after activation.

Thats it! I hope this helps!
    What is the procedure to disable inputting the pin number when accessing Voice Mail. I asked the forum before and Sara ST PM'd me that it cannot be disabled as it is integral part their system. Don't know if it makes a difference, my phones are all Android

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    What is the procedure to disable inputting the pin number when accessing Voice Mail. I asked the forum before and Sara ST PM'd me that it cannot be disabled as it is integral part their system. Don't know if it makes a difference, my phones are all Android
    In the main menu, hit 4, 2, 1, 2

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    My solution was to add a comma (,) plus my pin# to end of the voice mail number.

So as an example, the voice mail number would now be:

+1-xxx-xxx-xxxx,1234

where 1234 is your pin#

The comma creates a short pause to give the system just enough time to ask for your pin#, then enters it for you.
    Need a little more time, just add another comma.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougeeebear View Post
    My solution was to add a comma (,) plus my pin# to end of the voice mail number.

+1-xxx-xxx-xxxx,1234

where 1234 is your pin#

The comma creates a short pause to give the system just enough time to ask for your pin#, then enters it for you.
    Stupid question, where in the keypad can I access the , (comma) I'm slower to learn than the general population. Sorry.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    Stupid question, where in the keypad can I access the , (comma) I'm slower to learn than the general population. Sorry.
    On mine, pressing the button on the bottom marked *#( brings up more characters.

Feedback Score
    On mine, pressing the button on the bottom marked *#( brings up more characters.
    I told you b4, you one genius

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    I told you b4, you one genius

Did my solution work for you?

Feedback Score

Did my solution work for you?
    It worked, here's why it works, on my AT&T Galaxy Note, Menu, Settings, Call, Voicemail service, Voicemail Settings for My carrier, touch more than > add, (comma) your pin# , touck OK and it adds the pin to your Voicemail access, it will still ask for pin, do nothing and it will proceed. Genius

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score

It worked, here's why it works, on my AT&T Galaxy Note, Menu, Settings, Call, Voicemail service, Voicemail Settings for My carrier, touch more than > add, (comma) your pin# , touck OK and it adds the pin to your Voicemail access, it will still ask for pin, do nothing and it will proceed. Genius
    Glad it worked for you.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score

+1-xxx-xxx-xxxx,1234

where 1234 is your pin#

Thanks. This is very helpful. Don't know for certain it works for me, but I edited my number so next time I get voice mail, I'll find out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchea View Post
    Thanks. This is very helpful. Don't know for certain it works for me, but I edited my number so next time I get voice mail, I'll find out.
    you don't have to wait, just go to your keypad and touch tape recording icon, when prompted to enter your pin, do nothing and it will proceed n if don't have messages, the lady will announce and touch * to exit.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Elpidio. I can't seem to locate a "tape recording icon" (JB 4.2). But, duh, of course I could call voicemail anytime. When I did call, I did not have to input the passcode.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast