Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ") Page (Updated 3/20/2014)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    you don't have to wait, just go to your keypad and touch tape recording icon, when prompted to enter your pin, do nothing and it will proceed n if don't have messages, the lady will announce and touch * to exit.
    It was dougeeebear's solution and to come up with such a procedure when Sara ST said its integral part of their system. We need to thanks dougeeebear

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Officially, thanks dougeeebear. I had already clicked the "added to reputation" icon for him when first read about this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    Another FAQ Update:
    Straight Talk appears to have stopped selling AT&T SIMs on their web-site. However, AT&T SIMs are currently still available at walmart.com. T-Mobile SIMS are still available on StraightTalk.com
    Looking for some help on this one. My wife and I are currently Verizon subscribers. We are grandfathered in with $30.00 unlimited data plans. We are looking to make the switch to Straight Talk. I just purchased the Google Nexus 4 which should be here in 1-2 weeks. My wife wants to get the Samsung Galaxy SII which we would buy from Walmart. We are both interested in using the $45 unlimited talk/text/data. The way I understand it, I will need to buy a SIM card (BYOP) for my Nexus 4.

My question is this, as a VZ Subscriber I have no idea how the service is thru AT&T or T-Mobile in my area. How do I determine which SIM to get? Also, will the SII that my wife buys from Walmart come with a T-Mobile SIM? Worst case scenario, should we each get a different carrier SIM to see the difference in coverage? I have another 3 weeks till my next billing cycle on VZ but would like to try to work this all out before then. Thanks for any info that can be shared. Lots of great info in this thread, keep it up!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roberob23 View Post
    Looking for some help on this one. My wife and I are currently Verizon subscribers. We are grandfathered in with $30.00 unlimited data plans. We are looking to make the switch to Straight Talk. I just purchased the Google Nexus 4 which should be here in 1-2 weeks. My wife wants to get the Samsung Galaxy SII which we would buy from Walmart. We are both interested in using the $45 unlimited talk/text/data. The way I understand it, I will need to buy a SIM card (BYOP) for my Nexus 4.

My question is this, as a VZ Subscriber I have no idea how the service is thru AT&T or T-Mobile in my area. How do I determine which SIM to get? Also, will the SII that my wife buys from Walmart come with a T-Mobile SIM? Worst case scenario, should we each get a different carrier SIM to see the difference in coverage? I have another 3 weeks till my next billing cycle on VZ but would like to try to work this all out before then. Thanks for any info that can be shared. Lots of great info in this thread, keep it up!
    first thing to do is compare coverages maps for AT&T and TMO in your area and other places you frequent. Make sure to look at the respective prepaid coverage maps as you can't count on roaming.

Walmart has 3 GSII's for $300. There is the ST branded GSII which is the AT&T model with 4.3 screen and 1.2ghz processor and 2.3 android. It comes with ST sim already and works out of the box The Walmart Family mobile and TMO prepaid GSII for sale are a little better - 4.5 screen, bigger battery, 1.5 ghz and 4.0 android. You need to purchase the BYOD sim (regular size) for these two to work on ST. They come with sims but for WMF and TMO. I have purchased all three to try out and think the WMF and TM versions are better IMO. The WMF is black, the TMO version is titanium gray. These can be unlocked to use on AT&T ST service if their coverage is better for you.

Make sure you get right size sim for your nexus 4, it may be a micro. honestly, for the extra $, the nexus 4 at $300-350 is better than $300 for the GSII.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchea View Post
    Officially, thanks dougeeebear. I had already clicked the "added to reputation" icon for him when first read about this.
    Yes, thank you douglebear..

Carrier(s)
    Straight Tlk
    Feedback Score
    EndeavorOR -- a million thanks for this information! Only wish I had found it three months ago before my saga started. I am more than a newbie, I am an infant in regard to the technical stuff of cell phones. It probably would help if I could educate myself and I am open to any suggestions. Right now, however, I have a BIG problem with which I would like your help (or anyne on the forum's help).

I have been a ST customer for about 3 years. I had a Samsung phone with a tiny screen and a tiny keypad and all my friends have discovered texting (I'm 64). Decided to get a new phone but did not want to pay for the best Samsung ST offered, so went online to shop for an "unlocked" phone. It was an LG Optimus L5 E612 and good specks (you're right, never buy a pone by its specs. A phone is more than the some of its parts.)

Anyway, when the phone arrived, I charged it and when it opened, the screen messages were all in Chinese (I think.) I called LG and it appears this model was made by LG International for an Asian market. By the time I figured all this out, it was too late to send it back. I decided to order and activate the Samsung Proclaim to use until I got my LG issues straighthened out. After I called ST, they told me all I needed was the SIM card (getting good information is aweful.) After some time I was able to secure an English version of the user's guide and figuered out how to change the language. After a few more mistakes made because I couldn't get enough information from ST, I finally received a T-mobile compatible ST SIM card for my LG. Eagerly I inserted it and after about 8 times trying to change the APN, I joined this forum and a couple thers to try to find out why my LG will not accept the ST APN. As you know, without it I cannot receive text and/or multimedia messages.

First question I have: (1) how do I know if my unlocked LG Optimus L5-E612 can be used with ST? (2) How can I tell if it is an ATT or T-Mobile compatible phone? (3) Depending on these answers, how can I change the APN? I have entered the information several times and when I press OK, the phone just does not accept it. It only shows the default T-mobile APN. I apologize for the long post, but I would very much like to use the LG if I can get it to work and you and this foru seems like the 'last house on the block'.

Thanks, in advance to anyone and everyone for your help.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Many Android phones have the APN's locked by the original carrier. That sounds like what you're experiencing. Try downloading APN Manager and use it to delete the original APN settings. After all are deleted, then add the ST settings.

You'll know if it has TMobile's bands because if it doesn't, you'll be stuck on 2G/Edge. If that happens, you might want to acquire an AT&T SIM (if you can find one).

Quote Originally Posted by metaphysical1 View Post
    EndeavorOR -- a million thanks for this information! Only wish I had found it three months ago before my saga started. I am more than a newbie, I am an infant in regard to the technical stuff of cell phones. It probably would help if I could educate myself and I am open to any suggestions. Right now, however, I have a BIG problem with which I would like your help (or anyne on the forum's help).

I have been a ST customer for about 3 years. I had a Samsung phone with a tiny screen and a tiny keypad and all my friends have discovered texting (I'm 64). Decided to get a new phone but did not want to pay for the best Samsung ST offered, so went online to shop for an "unlocked" phone. It was an LG Optimus L5 E612 and good specks (you're right, never buy a pone by its specs. A phone is more than the some of its parts.)

Anyway, when the phone arrived, I charged it and when it opened, the screen messages were all in Chinese (I think.) I called LG and it appears this model was made by LG International for an Asian market. By the time I figured all this out, it was too late to send it back. I decided to order and activate the Samsung Proclaim to use until I got my LG issues straighthened out. After I called ST, they told me all I needed was the SIM card (getting good information is aweful.) After some time I was able to secure an English version of the user's guide and figuered out how to change the language. After a few more mistakes made because I couldn't get enough information from ST, I finally received a T-mobile compatible ST SIM card for my LG. Eagerly I inserted it and after about 8 times trying to change the APN, I joined this forum and a couple thers to try to find out why my LG will not accept the ST APN. As you know, without it I cannot receive text and/or multimedia messages.

First question I have: (1) how do I know if my unlocked LG Optimus L5-E612 can be used with ST? (2) How can I tell if it is an ATT or T-Mobile compatible phone? (3) Depending on these answers, how can I change the APN? I have entered the information several times and when I press OK, the phone just does not accept it. It only shows the default T-mobile APN. I apologize for the long post, but I would very much like to use the LG if I can get it to work and you and this foru seems like the 'last house on the block'.

Thanks, in advance to anyone and everyone for your help.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Tlk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks so much, EndeavorOR! I am grateful for people like you who are so willing to share their knowledge. I will do as you suggest and report back to the firum on results. However, you said that "Many Android phones have the APN's locked by the original carrier." I purchased an "unlocked" phone...apparently not the same thing.

So I can learn more, can you point me to something to read about what locked/unlocked really means? Again, thanks again!

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Unlocked phones do not have any designated carrier. AFAIU, only GSM phones can come "unlocked." We have two iphone 4s's purchased unlocked from Apple and two GNexes/ii (?) and one Nexus 4 from Google. They are also unlocked so each phone can run on USA AT&T or T-Mobile and also on any international gsm provider.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    The fact that your phone is "unlocked" means only that it will take a SIM from any carrier. However, the APNs are locked separately from the SIM. Fortunately, locked APNs can be deleted easily with an APN managing app from the Android market.

Thanks so much, EndeavorOR! I am grateful for people like you who are so willing to share their knowledge. I will do as you suggest and report back to the firum on results. However, you said that "Many Android phones have the APN's locked by the original carrier." I purchased an "unlocked" phone...apparently not the same thing.

So I can learn more, can you point me to something to read about what locked/unlocked really means? Again, thanks again!

Carrier(s)
    Straight Tlk
    Feedback Score
    EndeavorOR -- thanks again for you explanation. I am especially grateful that you understood what I didn't understand and supplied the missing information. Be careful...I think I'm falling in love!

Not that that has been explained, I need to tell you that I have tried 3 different APN managers: APN manager (you recommeded first), Tweakker, and APN Backup and Restore. None worked. I did get a message from the last one stating that "APNs cannot be restored or deleted on this device because ndroid 4.0+ does not allow 3rd party apps to write APN settings." I apologize for taking so much of your time, but what do you make of all this?

Thanks again for me and all the newbies in the world!

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Are you able to delete all of the APNs on the phone without the APN Manager? If you can, then the APN settings are not the problem. But, if you can't, then that is the problem. And if the APN apps won't work with Android, then I'm not sure what to tell you at that point. You can try setting up the ST APN settings and selecting them, but if that doesn't work, then I think you may need to find another phone...

EndeavorOR -- thanks again for you explanation. I am especially grateful that you understood what I didn't understand and supplied the missing information. Be careful...I think I'm falling in love!

Not that that has been explained, I need to tell you that I have tried 3 different APN managers: APN manager (you recommeded first), Tweakker, and APN Backup and Restore. None worked. I did get a message from the last one stating that "APNs cannot be restored or deleted on this device because ndroid 4.0+ does not allow 3rd party apps to write APN settings." I apologize for taking so much of your time, but what do you make of all this?

Thanks again for me and all the newbies in the world!

Carrier(s)
    Straight Tlk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, again for your speedy response. Based on your responses, I am up the creek! I had previously sent a request to LG support on this issue. The web page promises 24 turnaround, but this is day 3, so I am not hopeful. I am also waiting for a response from the APN Delete & Restaore app developer. I will update to the list if I found out anything other than what you suggest!

Just in case, to answer your questions (for others that might be listening):

Are you able to delete all of the APNs on the phone without the APN Manager? Answer: NO;
    You can try setting up the ST APN settings and selecting them, Answer: This is how I started down this ugly path! When I enter the ST APN settings and select "SAVE", the screen comes up with the T-mobile settings, it never gives me the option to select the ST APN; it's as if my changes went into cyberspace.

if that doesn't work, then I think you may need to find another phone...Answer:

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I've updated the FAQ based upon your comments. Please feel free to read it again and let me know if you think I should make any additions or changes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device(s)
    neXus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk ATT
    Feedback Score
    Great thread! very informative for a newbie like myself on the ST boat

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast