Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk AT&T Data Issues Since August 13th

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk AT&T Data Issues Since August 13th

Since theres no central thread for people to talk about it, here it is.

Straight Talk AT&T service has been experiencing data issues since last week (of Aug 13th)
    Symptoms include
    1. web pages and data sessions sometimes not loading/succeeding
    2. unable to access data at all
    3. some web sites load and others don't load
    4. certain apps sometimes not working due data being problematic

This problem affects people using the AT&T BYOP SIM, the E71/E5/6790 SIMs, and other Straight Talk phones on the AT&T network.

Rebooting your phone or toggling airplane mode on and then back off can sometimes restore data access.

There is no absolute fix for this and don't bother calling Straight Talk, they can't fix it for you. This issue affects ALL AT&T MVNOs (whats a mvno?). This is something that AT&T has to fix. MVNO data goes through separate routes than their GoPhone or Postpaid (contract) service.

These data issues have occurred in the past. Most notably was when the BYOD SIMs first came out, there was pretty serious data issues for about 1 and 1/2 weeks.

They will go away. The threads about messing with your APNs and changing MMS proxies don't do anything. If you want to get data working, use the tip from above (airplane mode on/off or reboot, it may take more than once).

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    About time someone understands it also. This isn't a ST problem and they can't do anything to help fix it permanently. Its an AT&T network issue. ST is very well knowledable about the fact there is an issue but can't offer a fix in their systems. I have friends on post paid that also have have been having issues so we are not alone as a strictly prepaid, mvno only issue.
    Sent from my Venue Pro via the HowardForums WP7 App

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    thank you for making this into its own thread :]

I'm still getting data, on and off, but still very usable as long as i toggle airplane mode or turn data on and off again. seems to not work when going from wifi to data, but otherwise I think it works okay (other than having to refresh pages a couple times). not the end of the world for me :P

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.kelley View Post
    About time someone understands it also.
    This isn't a ST problem and they can't do anything to help fix it permanently.
    Its an AT&T network issue.
    ST is very well knowledable about the fact there is an issue but can't offer a fix in their systems.
    I disagree with you there. It IS a Straight Talk problem, in that one of their major suppliers is very unreliable. This is impacting Straight Talk service.

If we don't protest vehemently, Straight Talk won't do anything. They will just keep collecting our money every month -- quite happily.

This is one reason I never trusted MVNOs for years, because they are totally beholden to the major carriers who control the water flow.

There are two things Straight Talk can do about their problem:

1) Straight Talk can be honest with customers and admit there's a problem, instead of acting like we are all stupid. After all, even you said "ST is very well knowledable about the fact there is an issue but can't offer a fix in their systems."

2) Straight Talk and other MVNOs can put pressure on AT&T. Sure, that part may not work effectively, because AT&T doesn't want cheaper competition to work TOO well, now do they? Sort of like back in the '90s when Microsoft purposefully put bugs in their operating system to so competing office software would not run correctly... (Yeah, they did it and years later enough evidence was uncovered they paid a large settlement, but at that point it was too late for the competitor.)

AT&T has no incentive to fix the problem quickly and even may have caused the problem on purpose. (AT&T are not good guys, you know.)

So really we are back to point #1. At least Straight Talk should admit there's a network side problem upstream with AT&T, instead of making customers run endless loops with the script monkeys in customer service.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 08-21-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I agree that there would be much more good will from subscribers if they would just be upfront and honest about the situation.

Point of accuracy, you say the issue started on aug. 13, but the reports of problems actually started on the other thread on the 7th or 8th. I only know because I looked it up yesterday to see how long it had actually been, since some people were saying one week and some three. We are, in fact, nearing the end of two weeks of these troubles. Hopefully the end will come soon.

Carrier
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    This problem affects people using the AT&T BYOP SIM, the E71/E5/6790 SIMs, and other Straight Talk phones on the AT&T network.
    I can personal attest that the problem is also affecting Net10 BYOP customers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    it is across all att mvno.st,gophone,net 10 just a few.but at 45 every 30 days is a bargin.

Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    Since prepaids are lower on the totem pole, I figure when there is congestion they will really get hit especially at 45 a month so doesn't surprise me.
    Running too many phones

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    I agree that there would be much more good will from subscribers if they would just be upfront and honest about the situation.

Point of accuracy, you say the issue started on aug. 13, but the reports of problems actually started on the other thread on the 7th or 8th. I only know because I looked it up yesterday to see how long it had actually been, since some people were saying one week and some three. We are, in fact, nearing the end of two weeks of these troubles. Hopefully the end will come soon.
    Ok, I cant edit my post though. For me the data issues were only a problem as of last week.

Carrier
    straight talk - at&t
    Feedback Score
    So it may be that my area is so rural the mvno's dont strain the network? Which is why I havent experienced this issue this go around? Next time I travel far enough to switch towers i'll see if there is a data issue.. But as of yet haven't been affected, still worried none-the-less

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using HowardForums

Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    I figure it's a combination of congestion and prioritization but hard to tell

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneguyjaymes View Post
    So it may be that my area is so rural the mvno's dont strain the network? Which is why I havent experienced this issue this go around? Next time I travel far enough to switch towers i'll see if there is a data issue.. But as of yet haven't been affected, still worried none-the-less

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using HowardForums
    Its possible. I travel through several cities for work everyday and I don't get data issues in all areas. There are places where I can run a speed test and I'm still pulling down 5mbps without any issues.

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I started my service on July 26th or 27th. I've had this problem since the very first night. I live in a fairly rural area, so it seems unlikely that my problem has any basis in congestion.

As of last night, my problem has taken a bit of a turn. Originally, when I could get data at all, I'd get relatively good speeds, up to 3mbps. Now I'm suddenly getting roughly 20 KB/s. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter55
    it is across all att mvno.st,gophone,net 10 just a few.but at 45 every 30 days is a bargin
    Really? It WOULD BE a bargain, if it actually amounted to getting ALL of what we're paying for. Which part of that code are you having trouble cracking? Purchasing our service card entitles us to "unlimited" access to X, Y, and Z. An appreciable number of us are only receiving X and Y with any regularity. Since we're paying less than what we'd be paying with a post-paid AT&T contract, that somehow makes it OK for ST to only provide part of what our $45 is meant to buy? Seeme like a pretty nonsensical idea, to me.

Phone
    iPhone 5, 4, 3GS, 3, 1
    Carrier
    Verizon, Straight Talk (AT&T), T-mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Haven't had any issues in Las Vegas today.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    yeap see alot of topend phones on the st plan.thats like buying an enzo and pump 87 octane in the tank and get mad because it wont run 200 mph any more.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast