Thread: How to get large videos to upload from iPhone 4s to my computer?

Feedback Score

How to get large videos to upload from iPhone 4s to my computer?

Factory unlocked iPhone 4s 64 gig. I recorded sseveral 1 hour and 2 hour videos.

I need to save them to my computer.

I keep getting errors. Attempts take forever then I get error message.

What am I doing wrong?

version 5.1, model MD257LL, modem firmware 2.0.10

Feedback Score

How do I get large videos that I recorded with the iPhone to upload to my computer?

No BB's dedicated to software issues so please forgive..

How to get large videos to upload from iPhone 4s to my computer?

Factory unlocked iPhone 4s 64 gig. I used the built in camera and recorded several 1 hour and 2 hour videos.

I need to save them to my computer.

I keep getting errors. Attempts take forever then I get error message.

What am I doing wrong?

version 5.1, model MD257LL, modem firmware 2.0.10

I am running WINDOWS on all my computers.

I run UBUNTU LINUX on one of my computers

All computers will not accept the large files.

Thanks in advance

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Your computer should see the iPhone as a camera when you connect it with the USB docking cable. You can then copy the files you want to put unto your computer. You can use the video recording app to break the large files down into smaller chunks acceptable by your computer's file system.
    Last edited by efparri; 08-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Try using Dropbox, Google Drive, or Skydrive iPhone and desktop apps. You can also try iTools 2012 or iFunbox, otherwise you can jailbreak and install SSH to use with WinSCP. What version of windows is it or more specifically, what file system is windows using, FAT32 or NTFS? FAT32 has a single file size limit of 4GB. If FAT32, you might consider converting to NTFS.

efparri, the camera access via usb is for pictures only, not videos.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive31 View Post
    Try using Dropbox, Google Drive, or Skydrive iPhone and desktop apps. You can also try iTools 2012 or iFunbox, otherwise you can jailbreak and install SSH to use with WinSCP. What version of windows is it or more specifically, what file system is windows using, FAT32 or NTFS? FAT32 has a single file size limit of 4GB. If FAT32, you might consider converting to NTFS.

efparri, the camera access via usb is for pictures only, not videos.
    The manual says that you can transfer pictures and video. How do you think that the Original Poster was trying to transfer the files?
    From page 94 of the iOS 5.1 User Guide:
    Uploading photos and videos to your computer
    You can upload the photos and videos you take with Camera to photo applications on your computer, such as iPhoto on a Mac.
    Upload photos and videos to your computer: Connect iPhone to your computer using the Dock Connector to USB Cable.
    Mac: Select the photos and videos you want, then click the Import or Download button in iPhoto or other supported photo application on your computer.
    PC: Follow the instructions that came with your photo application.
    If you delete the photos and videos from iPhone when you upload them to your computer, they’re removed from your Camera Roll album. You can use the Photos settings pane in iTunes to sync photos and videos to the Photos app on iPhone (videos can be synced only with a Mac). See “Syncing with iTunes” on page 18.
    Last edited by efparri; 08-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Feedback Score
    I was referring to using Windows explorer or Mac OS finder(your words were *copy*, not use some app to upload) which will only allow access to photos, funny it requires iPhoto and neglects to mention any PC compatible application to upload videos with. Care to share what app allows such uploading of videos from an iPhone in Windows? Also, if you were actually referring to using a 3rd party app to upload when you said *copy*..why would you have even said so if the OP was apparently already using such an app? Makes me think you were actually referring to the use of Windows explorer...which explains my response that it doesn't support videos, only photos. The only thing helpful in your first post, and this is clearly an afterthought, is the video editing on the phone to make the videos smaller.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I was referring to using Windows explorer or Mac OS finder(your words were *copy*, not use some app to upload) which will only allow access to photos, funny it requires iPhoto and neglects to mention any PC compatible application to upload videos with. Care to share what app allows such uploading of videos from an iPhone in Windows?
    Yo don't need an app in Windows:
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/10/trans...e-to-computer/

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I was referring to using Windows explorer or Mac OS finder(your words were *copy*, not use some app to upload) which will only allow access to photos, funny it requires iPhoto and neglects to mention any PC compatible application to upload videos with. Care to share what app allows such uploading of videos from an iPhone in Windows? Also, if you were actually referring to using a 3rd party app to upload when you said *copy*..why would you have even said so if the OP was apparently already using such an app? Makes me think you were actually referring to the use of Windows explorer...which explains my response that it doesn't support videos, only photos. The only thing helpful in your first post, and this is clearly an afterthought, is the video editing on the phone to make the videos smaller.
    If you leave the files on the phone, you are copying them to another location. Uploading and downloading are methods of copying. There is no method to put files on another device except to copy. Even moving involves copying and then deleting the source files.
    Last edited by efparri; 08-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    W/e efparri, argue about the word copy, lol...you still meant using windows explorer and you cannot argue the fact that it does not support what you are saying it should or does. You don't use a 3rd party app to manually copy files, they have functions called upload or export, as does iPhoto. You use a file manager like windows explorer to manually copy.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You do not know what I meant. I quoted the iOS manual showing what Apple said.

Feedback Score
    Looks like windows explorer on Windows XP and older cannot access video files recorded on the iPhone, but out of curiosity I tried it on the newer Windows 7 and you can actually access the video files in windows explorer. Wonder what the limitation is in XP or older windows and if it can be adapted to allow access to the video files on the older operating systems. It's pretty clear what you meant, and it appears that it is possible, but only using the newer windows OS'.