Thread: Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G, charging issue

Phones
    ex-Sprint customer in limbo with Straight Talk
    Samsung Galaxy Centura (Android 4.0)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G, charging issue

I have had this phone for about 5 months now I think. Using the wall charger that came with it, if I leave it on the charger for 2-3 hours, the charging status light turns blue and it's 100%. I use the 4G network outside of my house and wi-fi inside the house. I don't use Bluetooth or GPS, and the phone is almost always on vibrate. I have taken it down to 2% a few times, and usually charge when it says 10%.

Until the last week or so it was not a problem. But this new problem has me concerned. I'll describe the issue: if I'm using the phone and it's on the charger, the percentage barely goes up at all during use. An hour of constant app usage while on the charger and it'll go from maybe 10% to 13%. If I turn the screen off and turn off wi-fi or 4G, it takes about six hours to charge to the blue 100% light. If I leave those on it never gets above 89%. This morning I had those things off and the phone hit 100% and I took it off the charger, put it in my pocket for a half hour, checked for messages and battery said 98%, so I turned on 4G and drove my kid to school. I just got back and checked the phone, the battery was already down to 26%, and that was a mere 10 minute round trip during which I didn't even use the phone at all.

I blew out the port with compressed air and put it back on the charger fifteen minutes ago at 26%. It still says 26%. I'll update if I can get 100% again. The phone has never been wet, humidity changes excepted. Is this a battery issue or a charging port issue, by chance? I'm thinking pick up a replacement battery from Amazon and hope it can hold better and try to avoid letting it go below 10% ever.

Phones
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I restarted the phone and put it back on the charger and it slowly charged to 33% then went to 89% and rose slowly to 100%. I've had it off the charger for an hour, moderate use, some apps, connected to wi-fi, and it's only down to 95%. I guess it was just a glitch? Or maybe there's a dead cell in the battery and it will skip down low here pretty soon...

I'm shopping for extended batteries on Amazon now. The stock battery is 1800mAh. The ones I'm looking at are either 3500 or 3800mAh. The 3800 one is a Trexcell, has good reviews (4 star avg, 69 entries), and is $17 shipped with Prime. I don't mind an extra thick back cover if it'll mean I can charge once a day instead of every 12-16 hours.

Phones
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I guess we can delete this thread now because:

a) it didn't do it again
    b) I dropped the phone in the driveway and shattered the screen so I'm getting a new one Monday
    c) nobody seems to care anyway so yeah

....................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    .................../..../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...