Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S AT&T reception problems.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3Gs 16GB
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhone 4S AT&T reception problems.

I know that this has been discussed here but, I have an AT and T 16GB 4S with bad reception problems.
    I'm looking for ways to find out if it is my phone, AT and T or both.

Phone history;
    1: Jailbroken at 5.1.1 (but it had the same problem at Jailbroken 5.0.1)
    Also did the same thing with stock 5.1.1.

2: Has an Otterbox Defender case on it.

3: Uses a cut down sim card from my 3Gs.

Would any of the above cause the problem. Also, I tried turning off 3G and it doesn't help.

People tell me that it "breaks up" all the time. Some dropped calls but not too bad.
    Should I take it back to Apple or A T and T? I know that they will give me a refurb. From what I hear, that doesn't even help because it does the same thing. I thought about selling it on eBay but, if it is refurbished, doesn't it drop the value some?

Any suggestions? It's not unlocked and still under contract or I would try a TMobile sim.

Thanks for any help.

Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    Are you frequently in low signal areas?

I had a similar problem with the iPhones I've used. Everyone was saying I was breaking up. I decided to get a sim adapter and tried just a basic phone and the issue went away completely(except for the normal issues with all cell reception, bad areas etc). In my case the iPhones kind of sucked for making calls.
    Running too many phones

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3Gs 16GB
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

two or three bars

Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    Are you frequently in low signal areas?

I had a similar problem with the iPhones I've used. Everyone was saying I was breaking up. I decided to get a sim adapter and tried just a basic phone and the issue went away completely(except for the normal issues with all cell reception, bad areas etc). In my case the iPhones kind of sucked for making calls.
    It is showing two or three bars when this happens. I have an old Motorola Pebl that I'm going to try today.
    I love the 4S, but I'm using the actual phone part more now and I need something better.

Thanks for your input.

Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I would try that, to at least narrow it down and give you an idea of whether it's the phone or not. With basic phones on AT&T, people say they can understand me and it sound clear. With the iPhone people often complained so I've always said the iPhone is neat, but for me as a phone, it sucks at times.

Phone
    iPhone 6, Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Sprint
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 4 and have the same issues as the OP all the time in and around my house and in a couple of areas in town. iPhones don't seem to handle low signal too well instead often hunting between edge and 3G.
    In my case aside from that I've tested several other phones and have the same issues as our iPhones in those areas.

Would anyone happen to know or confirm if putting a sim card from an iPhone into a dumb phone would cause the data plan to be removed automatically?

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94
    iPhones don't seem to handle low signal too well instead often hunting between edge and 3G.*
    It looks like that this is still an issue with iPhones in general. I thought this would have been fixed by the 4th model, but it seems to carried on ever since i noticed this with the 3G model.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, Moto G, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    The 4S has very good reception, although I seem to think that the replacement I got after the top button on mine broke isn't as good, but it might be my imagination. It's also erratic with not updating the signal information. I was inside a submarine today and it still showed 5 bars (yeah, right) for a while, and often when i return to an area with good signal, it takes quite a while to update. Other than that, the actual reception is pretty good.
    I usually support government regulation, but It is unfortunate that the government over-regulated and killed the AT&T/ T-Mobile Merger
    The best explanation of the pricing nutiness in the industry.
    Why Sprint and T-Mo will always suck.
    The only way to end the pricing insanity is to eliminate contracts and subsidies.
    I want Wifi calling on AT&T.
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Phones
    right now iphone, next time who knows
    iPhone 4S
    Motorola Atrix HD
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ok here are a few things.

1: Jailbreaking can cause issues with the carrier settings. plus if i don't believe Apple has been able to send T-Mobile USA carrier settings to their phones. If they get a deal with T-mobile for the iphone you may see a change there. otherwise if "jail breaking" put those settings in for you then they are prob not right. Truthfully you should just caugh up the money and get an unlocked iphone from apple its full cost but beats messing with the software in the phone.

I don't have experience with jail breaking because my view point is that if you get an iphone you get it for what it does/doesn't do not to hack it and destroy all the work the designer has completed.

2 otter boxes haven't' been known for reception issues. the only thing i've heard is the occasional echo due to a malformed speaker grill or the clear piece of plastic in the original defender that blocked the proximity sensor.

3: Chances are you could have damaged the smart chip or the gold contacts when you attempted to cut it. T=mobile has micro SIM cards you need to just get one from them.

Since you jail broke it chances are Apple will not touch it. supposedly they can run a test to tell now. AT&T doesn't service them at all and refers you to apple, but they will offer to make you an appointment.

Also remember it is prob running on 2G GSM on T-mobile as there 3G is in the AWS bands. that would just make iphone service sucky anyway. Just get yourself a Galaxy S 3 and give it up then. until Apple and T-Mobile get hitched.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, Moto G, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Walker View Post
    ok here are a few things.

1: Jailbreaking can cause issues with the carrier settings. plus if i don't believe Apple has been able to send T-Mobile USA carrier settings to their phones. If they get a deal with T-mobile for the iphone you may see a change there. otherwise if "jail breaking" put those settings in for you then they are prob not right. Truthfully you should just caugh up the money and get an unlocked iphone from apple its full cost but beats messing with the software in the phone.

I don't have experience with jail breaking because my view point is that if you get an iphone you get it for what it does/doesn't do not to hack it and destroy all the work the designer has completed.

2 otter boxes haven't' been known for reception issues. the only thing i've heard is the occasional echo due to a malformed speaker grill or the clear piece of plastic in the original defender that blocked the proximity sensor.

3: Chances are you could have damaged the smart chip or the gold contacts when you attempted to cut it. T=mobile has micro SIM cards you need to just get one from them.

Since you jail broke it chances are Apple will not touch it. supposedly they can run a test to tell now. AT&T doesn't service them at all and refers you to apple, but they will offer to make you an appointment.

Also remember it is prob running on 2G GSM on T-mobile as there 3G is in the AWS bands. that would just make iphone service sucky anyway. Just get yourself a Galaxy S 3 and give it up then. until Apple and T-Mobile get hitched.
    Jailbreaking doesn't negatively affect anything, and positively affects a lot. If you don't want to bother Jailbreaking, then you are an iSheep and deserve whatever Apple does to you. I don't submit to the man, I just hack whatever I want.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Motorola Atrix HD
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Jailbreaking doesn't negatively affect anything, and positively affects a lot. If you don't want to bother Jailbreaking, then you are an iSheep and deserve whatever Apple does to you. I don't submit to the man, I just hack whatever I want.
    Then you are part of the rebel alliance and must be destroyed.

J/k

Seriously though I've seen iPhones where the firmware that controls the transceiver was damaged by jail breaking. Not a big deal. A reflash of apple unjailbroken firmware fixes that.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Walker View Post
    Seriously though I've seen iPhones where the firmware that controls the transceiver was damaged by jail breaking. Not a big deal. A reflash of apple unjailbroken firmware fixes that.
    Are you referring to jailbreaking or unlocking using something like Ultrasn0w?

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Motorola Atrix HD
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I guess it could be unlocking. These guys where using att iPhones on tmobile

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Walker
    Not a big deal. A reflash of apple unjailbroken firmware fixes that.
    The whole point of jailbreaking is so people can install apps from other sources other than from Apple, unlocking the iPhone allows us to free ourselves from at&ts rip off international roaming rates, maybe using it on T-Mobile and higher resale value.

Re flashing the firmware is no guranntee that it will fix anything.

Phones
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Nokia N79, e71, e62, 6555, 6126, 6030, 2610
    Moto V3XX, c168, V710
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Test your SIM inside another phone.....but it must be a 3g phone...if u don't have one u can get one cheap.

Also I wouldn't just blindly rule out jailbreaking as that goes against the process of elimination.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3Gs 16GB
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input guys;

The phone is still locked to AT&T.

I have restored it to stock 5.1.1 with no change.

The sim has been replaced with the original micro, that came with it. No change.
    Also, the sim that was cut using a regular sim cutting tool, worked fine in the 3Gs, no reception problems.

I didn't think that Apple or AT&T could tell if it had ever been jailbroken. I know for a fact that the guys at my AT&T can't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast