Page 12 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lycamobile coming to the U.S. and Canada

Feedback Score
    Plus, Lycamobile changed the OTHERS refill box again. Before, the minimum refill was $10. Now, it is back to 10 cents.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile FTW!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    I never got a confirmation email but just got the sim I ordered 11 days ago. Inserted sim, dailed 622 and got a phone number assigned. Went online and "Recharged" $10 without setting up an online account. Used a citicard virtual account number just to be on the safe side. Incoming text cost nothing, outgoing text cost 4 cents. Verification call to add number to my Google Voice account cost 2 cents. Called "121" to retrieve voice mail did not incur any charges.

I set google voice to ring my Lycamobile and unanswered calls went to google voice's voicemail, both with Lycamobile phone turned on and off.

I used APN settings found here: http://www.lycamobile.us/en/mobilewebsettings . Haven't figured out MMS if even possible. Speed test in the Dallas metro area below (cost 14 cents). Looks promising... but for now new company, no MMS, and slow internet, makes this this a backup or maybe a permanent car phone.

Attachment 91264
    Wow those are slow speeds! Reminds me of Sprint 3G. Hope this network improves before I move my wife to $19 plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    Anybody else having issues with calls not being billed at 2 cents a minute?

Rather that 2 cents a minute, calls appear to be charge at 2 cents per half-a-minute. Hence, a 30-59 second call is 4 cents. A 60-89 second call is 6 cents. Is there some glitch with the service, or am I not calculating the charges correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    I never got a confirmation email but just got the sim I ordered 11 days ago. Inserted sim, dailed 622 and got a phone number assigned. Went online and "Recharged" $10 without setting up an online account. Used a citicard virtual account number just to be on the safe side. Incoming text cost nothing, outgoing text cost 4 cents. Verification call to add number to my Google Voice account cost 2 cents. Called "121" to retrieve voice mail did not incur any charges.

I set google voice to ring my Lycamobile and unanswered calls went to google voice's voicemail, both with Lycamobile phone turned on and off.

I used APN settings found here: http://www.lycamobile.us/en/mobilewebsettings . Haven't figured out MMS if even possible. Speed test in the Dallas metro area below (cost 14 cents). Looks promising... but for now new company, no MMS, and slow internet, makes this this a backup or maybe a permanent car phone.

Attachment 91264
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob859 View Post
    I was charged 8 cents for a call that went 3 minutes, 33 seconds today (3:33), so it is charging me correctly.
    Yep, every prepaid carrier rounds up

HTC: Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Sensation
    Samsung: Moment, Intercept, Galaxy Note 2
    LG: Optimus V, Optimus Slider
    Tablets: Nook, Iconia Tab, Nexus 7

Carrier
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trim99 View Post
    Excellent post.

I too will be porting a family members tmobile account.

This is very helpful, thanks a lot.

Question: was your dummy number the same area code as your tmobile prepaid? I I assume no, based on your writing,,, but we're the numbers in the same county or region at least?
    The Lyca number assigned originally was Cleveland OH 216. I live in Columbus OH and my dummy TMO number was 614.

On an unrelated note, I rejected a call earlier from an unfamiliar phone number. Apparently it went to voicemail, but the funny thing is that the call is listed as a 6 second call and I was charged $1.50

I emailed Lyca from the USA website. And received a reply about an hour later. Here is the response:

Thank you for your email.

In regards to your query, please be informed that the given mobile number(0614XXXXXXX) is not a valid UK Lycamobile number hence we request you to revert to us with the correct Lycamobile number to check the same and proceed further.

Remember that alternatively you can contact our Customer Care Team 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm on 0207 132 0322 ** from any network or by dialling 322* from your Lycamobile.

Call the world for less!

Kind regards

Sridharan Pranatharthi
    Lycamobile Customer Care
    *Calls to 322 will be charged at 9p/call on connecting to our customer service agent
    **Your phone service provider may charge you for calls to this number

__________________________________________________ ______________

It looks like emails from the USA site go to UK Customer Care. There is quite a disconnect here and I would recommend people to wait for all the bugs to be fixed before porting their real number into the system. For now this will act as a second cell line for me. I emailed them again telling them that I'm a USA customer. Still waiting to hear a response. I'll keep you all posted about my adventures with Lycamobile.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score

Re: Lycamobile coming to the U.S. and Canada

I just ordered another one now that the site works with putting in my address and ZIP Code.
    If I actually get it I will give them a try.
    The rates sound good and for a low user the service time sounds great.
    Thank you for posting that the site is working to put in the ZIP Code.
    I got the confirmation page after putting in my information.
    Hopefully I will get it this time.

EDIT: Also received a confirmation email from them saying my SIM should be delivered within 7 days.
    Of course Gmail stuck that email in the spam file.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    Now it is possible to enter 15 digits for your zip code. Not that it matters anymore because there is now no requirement to enter your zip code first to verify your address. Instead, it is just a regular form where you enter everything manually.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    Last edited by SnowyWhite; 04-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carrier
    Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Can anybody confirm Lycamobile is charging more than 6ct for internet? I had 135kbytes use and they charged me 11ct.
    Samsung Blaze 4G ICS!!!!

Online German tutor and translator.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is the $20 Unlimited Talk/Text Monthly Plan a promotion or permanent

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Carrier
    Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneCreator123 View Post
    Is the $20 Unlimited Talk/Text Monthly Plan a promotion or permanent
    Appaerently it´s just a promotion but there are rumors on slickdeals that they might extend it because they do that in Europe sometimes.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone, Lycamobile, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ystee View Post
    Can someone tell me the full APN details to use with Nexus 4? I entered the values for username, pwd and APN but it is not working. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using HowardForums
    On my Nexus 4, I also had to select "Enable data roaming" before data would work (in addition to setting the APN, username, and password).

On the Nexus 4 (like most Android phones?), data roaming is turned off by default.

As others have mentioned, Lycamobile appears to have their own MNC (311 96), just like a "real" carrier operating their own towers. As a Lycamobile customer you will be always "roaming" on T-Mobile USA with the "R" indicator on your Nexus hiding whether you're on HSPA as opposed to EDGE.

One nice benefit to this arrangement is their international roaming rates in Europe. Most other T-Mo (and AT&T) MVNOs do not support international roaming at all. Lycamobile not only supports it, but has better European rates than just about any other US postpaid/prepaid service. This is all relative though, few people would call paying 30 US cents to receive a call as cheap, but it is compared to 99 cents on AT&T postpaid for example.

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    ........and for a low user the service time sounds great.
    What is your understanding of the service time?

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    What is your understanding of the service time?
    120 days between uses before they shut your account down from what I understood from what I read on their site.
    If I stick $5 or $10 on it and use it every few weeks for a few minutes at 2 cents a minute sounds good to me.
    I read also that you can have texts blocked, so that is even better.
    And can deactivate the voicemail.
    I don't need either of those services.

Currently I am using a Net10 phone someone gave me that cost them $7 and had 300 minutes on it.
    I have a T~Mobile Gold Rewards Grandfathered on the old $1 Pay by the Day that is good for times when I want or need to talk a lot.
    My family are all on T~Mobile so the Mobile to Mobile is great for that and the after 7pm talk to anyone else is good for those times when needing a full on yack fest.

But most of the time I really don't need that much talk time, a few minutes here and there so Lycamobile's 2 cent a minute rates sound just perfect for me.

I was tempted a while back to try PlatinumTel back when they were selling/giving away a CDMA phone and a year/2000 minutes but never really wanted to get that invested in a backup or spare phone for low use.

This sounds great if it's all fairly true.
    Not a lot of money to try them out and I have unlocked GSM phones, both T~Mobile and AT&T original branded but unlocked.

I also keep a Boost phone alive on the $10 every 90 days plan at 10 cents a minute as a spare and for it's Opera Mini capabilities.
    When the power goes out here so does our router so having a phone that can use Opera Mini in those times really comes in handy.
    Last summer we lost power due to weather 7 times in July.

EDIT: This is what I read on their site.

"We automatically deactivate SIM cards if you do not use them to make a call or send a text for more than 120 days. Unfortunately these SIM cards cannot be reconnected and the cell number also stops being available for you to use after this time."

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know the mms address of a lycamobile phone? Such as xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.com?

Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    Bad experience. I got voicemail disabled after getting hold of a representative who knew what I was talking about. Now all my calls that I do not pick up announce a message which says Insufficient Balance. And I get charged 2 cents for it!

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cps6568 View Post
    Does anyone know the mms address of a lycamobile phone? Such as xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.com?
    I don't think anyone has confirmed they even support MMS. There's no MMS settings and I searched Google and it seems some other Lycamobile countries don't get MMS.

Has anyone tried to send or receive a picture message?
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    As much potential as Lyca has (especially with their ultra low paygo), there is too much mystery, doubt, questions. Is the ultra low paygo rate a promo too? Why is the free sim offering address finder on their website such a pita to use? Etc. Until they get their act together, Ptel has the best paygo rates and Spot has the best expiry lengths afaik.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    As much potential as Lyca has (especially with their ultra low paygo), there is too much mystery, doubt, questions. Is the ultra low paygo rate a promo too? Why is the free sim offering address finder on their website such a pita to use? Etc. Until they get their act together, Ptel has the best paygo rates and Spot has the best expiry lengths afaik.
    Apparently they fixed the issues with the address finder on the website a day or two ago (now you can just manually type in your address). However, the rest of your points are quite well taken--not sure I'd want to sign on with Lyca until they figure things out a bit. Seems very "we're winging this as we go" to me.

Page 12 of 119 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 112 ... LastLast