Thread: Has anyone tried the free DIY unlocking method for the Nokia Lumia 710?

Feedback Score

Has anyone tried the free DIY unlocking method for the Nokia Lumia 710?

I noticed the method on xda. Here's the thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1778454

I was wondering if anyone has tried this method with either a Wind or Mobilicity Nokia Lumia 710?

Feedback Score
    Just an update; I purchased a Wind Nokia Lumia 710 outright and attempted the free DIY unlocking solution. It took a bit of work (not quite as easy as rooting an Android phone), but I can confirm that my Lumia 710 is now unlocked and running RainbowMod. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post the steps I used to successfully unlock the bootloader, install the RainbowMod, as well as sim-unlock the phone.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That would be nice. When ECBomb posted the debranding instructions here they were a lot better than what was on XDA.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm if Tethering hotspot is working with RainbowMod on the lumia 710?

Phones
    Nokia N9
    Nokia N80
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aviperes2 View Post
    Just an update; I purchased a Wind Nokia Lumia 710 outright and attempted the free DIY unlocking solution. It took a bit of work (not quite as easy as rooting an Android phone), but I can confirm that my Lumia 710 is now unlocked and running RainbowMod. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post the steps I used to successfully unlock the bootloader, install the RainbowMod, as well as sim-unlock the phone.
    I was actually about to try this out myself. Could you please post the steps you took so that I can use it as a reference? Thanks!

Feedback Score

How to SIM-Unlock your Nokia Lumia 710 for free

This guide is based on a number of XDA threads. I take no credit for any of these methods. Full credit should go to the original authors and developers at XDA. I've merely amalgamated all these guides into one easy to follow guide.

Disclaimer: There are always risks associated with unlocking the bootloader and flashing custom ROMS. I am not responsible for bricked devices, or any other unexpected issues that may arise during this process. If you are not technically proficient with Windows or the Command Prompt, you may want to consider alternative unlocking options. I have completed this entire process and have had no issues so far, but that doesn't mean you won't have problems on your device. If you choose to proceed with these instructions, you do so at your own risk and liability!

Be sure to backup all your important files/contacts/apps BEFORE starting this procedure, as everything will be erased and factory reset after you install the RainbowMod custom ROM (step 19). You should also ensure that your Lumia 710 is fully charged.

This guide is based on the Wind variant of the Nokia Lumia 710 (RM-809), but it should also work with the Rogers and Mobilicity variants (RM-809).

DOWNLOAD FILES AND PREPARE SYSTEM (Steps 1-12)

1. Create a folder called "Nokia Lumia 710".

2. You will need to download these 7 files to your "Nokia Lumia 710" folder:
    A) Zune - (installing Zune will help ensure that our system has all the necessary system drivers for the Nokia Lumia 710) - Download Link: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...neSetupPkg.exe

3. After this file is downloaded, double click ZuneSetupPkg.exe and install Zune.

B) Nokia Care Suite - Download Link: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0HDB8BQ0/

4. After this file is downloaded, extract the rar file and double click on Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.12.5.3.msi and install Nokia Care Suite.

I'm not sure if you have to do this for windows 32-bit, but with windows 64-bit you must navigate to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers

Inside that folder you'll find "WinUSB Drivers x64.msi". Double click on this file and install it.

C) Qualcomm BootLoader - Download Links: http://narod.ru/disk/45935058001.2aa...M-803.rar.html
    OR
    file 1 : http://www.mediafire.com/?79z739zzf5cuhxa
    file 2 : http://www.mediafire.com/?6fed8oaz87j9ln9

5. Extract the Qualcomm file(s) to the "RM-803" subfolder.

D) Qualcomm Bootloader - Second file - RM803_11w48_prod_raw_nokia_osbl.zip - Download it at this XDA thread here: http://forum.XDA-developers.com/show....php?t=1620629

6. After this file is downloaded, extract the zip file. The file is called RM803_11w48_prod_raw_nokia_osbl.bin.

E) NSS 0.47.0 Beta (this is the program we will use to flash the Qualcomm bootloader onto our Lumia 710. All Nokia Lumia 710s sold by Wind/Rogers/Mobilicity come with a locked bootloader. We need to install the Qualcomm bootloader in order to unlock our bootloader so that we can install custom ROMs and apply the SIM-unlock using NSS 0.51.2 Beta.) - Download Link: http://www.genieprojects.co.uk/files/b_0.47_0.zip

7. After this file is downloaded, extract the zip file to the "NSS Beta" subfolder. Double click on NssPro.exe. After a few seconds, exit NSS. After you run NSS for the first time, NSS will create some other important subfolders.

8. Now, go back to the main "Nokia Lumia 710" folder. Navigate to the "RM-803" subfolder and look for the file called "RM803_12w07_prod_generic_nokia_osbl.esco." Once you've found it, copy it, go back on directory, then navigate to "NSS Beta", "loaders", "special", "wp7", then select "paste". The file "RM803_12w07_prod_generic_nokia_osbl.esco." should now be in C:\Nokia Lumia 710\NSS Beta\loaders\special\wp7\.

9. Now go back to the "Nokia Lumia 710" folder. Look for the file called "RM803_11w48_prod_raw_nokia_osbl.bin.". Once you've found it, copy it, then navigate to "NSS Beta", "loaders", "special", "wp7", then select "paste". The file "RM803_11w48_prod_raw_nokia_osbl.bin." should now be in C:\Nokia Lumia 710\NSS Beta\loaders\special\wp7\.

There should now be two (2) files in the "\loaders\special\wp7\" subfolder. "RM803_12w07_prod_generic_nokia_osbl.esco" and "RM803_11w48_prod_raw_nokia_osbl.bin".

E) NSS 0.51.2 Beta - Sim Unlock for rooted Lumia (this is the program we will use to SIM-unlock our Lumia 710. This program will only work once we have installed the Qualcomm/unlocked bootloader.) - Download Link: http://www.genieprojects.co.uk/files...o_0.51_2_b.zip

10. After this file is downloaded, extract the zip file to the "NSS Pro" subfolder.

F) Nokia Lumia 710 downloader (this is the tool we will be using to install RainbowMod. This tool can only be used once we have the Qualcomm/unlocked bootloader.) - Download Link: http://forum.XDA-developers.com/show....php?t=1665821

11. After this file is downloaded, extract the zip file. The extracted file is called downloader.exe.

G) RainbowMod (this is the custom ROM that we will be installing) - Download Link: http://forum.XDA-developers.com/show....php?t=1654415

12. After this file is downloaded, extract the zip file. The exacted file is called os-new.nb.

Now that all the files are in their proper locations, we can proceed with installing the Qualcomm bootloader.

INSTALLING THE QUALCOMM BOOTLOADER (Steps 13-18)

WARNING: Once you've installed the Qualcomm (unlocked) bootloader, every time you enter OSBL mode on your Lumia 710 and connect the USB cable to your computer, Windows will display a Format Disk message. When you see this prompt always click Cancel!!! If you accidentally click on format, your Lumia 710 bootloader will be ERASED and your device will become permanently BRICKED. In this event, your device will become a paperweight, and the only solution is to take it to a Nokia repair Centre. To avoid all this unnecessary stress and aggravation, always remember to NEVER format, and to always click cancel, if prompted by Windows. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!

IMPORTANT: Double check that your computer has detected your Lumia 710. If you've encountered any driver installation errors, visit this XDA thread and follow the instructions here: http://forum.XDA-developers.com/show....php?t=1669498.

You should only PROCEED below once all the drivers are successfully installed and your computer is able to properly detect your device as "Nokia Lumia 710".

13. Now we must run NSS. Go back to the "Nokia Lumia 710" folder, then enter the "NSS Beta" subfolder. Right click on "NssPro.exe" and then click on "Run as administrator".

14. Click on "Flashing" (it's the third tab at the top left of the application), then select "WP7 Tools" (it's the third tab at the bottom right of the application).

15. We now have to enter OSBL mode.
    Power off your phone and remove the USB cable (if it is currently plugged in to your computer).
    Press and hold the Volume up button.
    Plug the USB cable, wait for the short buzz, then release the Volume up button.

16. Under the "Bootloader Tools" section, click on the "Install" button. This process should only take a few seconds. When it is complete, unplug the USB cable, and plug it back into the phone.

WARNING: Windows will now display a Format Disk message. When you see this prompt always click Cancel!!! If you see the Format Disk message, you've successfully installed the Qualcomm bootloader.

17. Unplug the USB cable, open the battery cover, and pull out your battery. Wait 5 seconds, then put it back in.

18. We now have to enter OSBL mode.
    Power off your phone and remove the USB cable (if it is currently plugged in to your computer).

WARNING: Windows will now display a Format Disk message. When you see this prompt always click Cancel!!!

We are now ready to install a custom ROM (the RainbowMod).

INSTALLING THE RAINBOWMOD CUSTOM ROM (Steps 19-21)

These steps are only necessary if you wish to install the RainbowMod custom ROM. If you want to remain on your stock ROM, skip this section and proceed to step 22.

19. Go back to the "Nokia Lumia 710" folder. Right click on "downloader.exe" and then click on "Run as administrator".

20. Click on the button under step 1 that says, "Download ROM to Nokia Lumia 710 without DSP&USP". Navigate to the "Nokia Lumia 710" folder and select the file "os-new.nb".

21. Now wait for the downloader to finish loading the RainbowMod on your Lumia 710. When it is complete, it should say "Finished". Click "OK", unplug your USB cable, and power on your Lumia 710.

Your Lumia 710 is now ROOTED and running the RainbowMod. It is now ready to be sim-unlocked.

SIM-UNLOCKING YOUR LUMIA 710 (Steps 22-31)

22. Go back to the "Nokia Lumia 710" folder. Navigate to the "NSS Pro" subfolder. Right click on "NssPro.exe" and then click on "Run as administrator".

23. Now click on "Simlocks" (it's the second tab at the top left of the application), then select "WP7" (it's the third tab at the bottom right of the application).

24. We now have to enter OSBL mode.

25. Now under the "Lumia Unlock" section, click on the "Unlock button. This process should only take a few seconds.

If you don't encounter any errors, skip step 26 and proceed to step 27.

26. At this point, it is very likely that you will encounter an error. Don't freak out... this is a normal part of the process.

I've enclosed an example of the two most common errors that you're likely to encounter.

Error #1:

Looking for NAND disk...Done.
    Trying to p**** partition tables...Done.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    FAT16 absolute address: 0x001F4200
    FAT16 partition size: 0x0927C000
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Reading FAT16 raw...Error!

Error #2:

Looking for phone...Done.
    IMEI:
    Changing phone mode...Done.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for NAND disk...Not found.
    Things to check:
    1. Is the phone connected?(Plug to the USB)
    2. Is it in the correct mode?(Try to switch to OSBL mode)
    3. Have you installed the Qcom loader ?(Use the Install button)

If you encounter error #1, in the NSS program, go to Simlocks->Settings and check 'Lumia unlock - alternative search for old pc'. Then click on the "wp7" tab, and click on the "Unlock" button.

If you encounter error #2. in the NSS program, go to Simlocks->Settings and check 'Lumia unlock - use manual restart to OSBL mode'. Then click on the "wp7" tab, and click on the "Unlock" button.

In my case, I encountered error #2.

27. Unplug your USB cable, open your battery cover, pull out the battery, and remove your MicroSIM card.

28. Insert an unaccepted MicroSIM card (example: If you're using a Wind Lumia 710, use any MicroSIM card other than Wind).

29. Insert the battery and power up your Lumia 710.

30. There is a good chance your Lumia 710 will prompt you for a PIN. Don't panic! Just follow the instructions provided by NSS.
    In my case, when I booted up my Wind Lumia 710 with my Koodo MicroSIM card for the first time, I was prompted for a PIN. I entered the PIN "00000000" (eight zeros) and pressed "enter". Then a few seconds later, my Lumia 710 picked up my Koodo service and everything was working perfectly.

31. Congratulations! Your Lumia 710 is now sim-unlocked!

HOW TO REVERT TO YOUR STOCK ROM

Special thanks to kingcartwright and lucifer3006 for providing these instructions.

To revert to stock rom via Qualcomm bootloader:

1. Download the stock rom you want via Navifirm+.

2. Once downloaded, open *_boot.esco file as zip archive (the largest file) and extract.

3. Rename boot.img to os-new.nb (can be what ever you want as long as .nb) (also make sure you've unticked the "hide extensions for know file types" in control panel, folder options, view).

4. Then flash via Nokia Lumia 710 downloader —— One key tool for flashing custom ROM as you would any custom rom.

and don't forget to do a battery pull after flashing and then
    i) Press and hold the Volume Down, Power and Camera buttons at the same time.
    ii) When the phone vibrates release the Power button but keep the Camera and Volume Down buttons held until Nokia logo appears and Voilà, you're now back on your stock rom.
    Last edited by aviperes2; 09-18-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: edited the guide to indicate installing the RainbowMod ROM is optional, and that a SIM-unlock can be done on the stock ROM.

Phones
    Nokia N9
    Nokia N80
    Nokia 6682
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Awesome! I did the unlocking yesterday and it worked perfectly. I wanted to leave the ROM as stock so I just skipped the Rainbow MOD section.

Thank you so much for putting this together, I especially liked how you listed a couple of the common problems along with the solutions (I ran into error #1). You saved me hours of research and headaches :-)

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear everything worked perfectly!
    I never realized that NSS can SIM-unlock a stock ROM. That's good to know. I've edited the guide to indicate installing the RainbowMod ROM is optional, and that a SIM-unlock can be done on the stock ROM.

Feedback Score

sim unlocker fails still

hey,

i have a USA t mobile branded lumia 710. i flashed the india rom onto it(as im from india). i found the rom using navifirm+ software. then i followed the instructions to install the bootloader and got no error messages about it. but the last stage where i go to unlock the sim lock from the phone i keep getting the error #2 as given by u in the post:

Looking for phone...Done.
    IMEI:
    Changing phone mode...Done.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for NAND disk...Not found.
    Things to check:
    1. Is the phone connected?(Plug to the USB)
    2. Is it in the correct mode?(Try to switch to OSBL mode)
    3. Have you installed the Qcom loader ?(Use the Install button)

and i did this as provided by u in the post:

If you encounter error #2, in the NSS program, go to Simlocks->Settings and check 'Lumia unlock - alternative search for old pc'. Then click on the "wp7" tab, and click on the "Unlock" button.

but i still keep getting the same error. plz help.

Feedback Score
    Hello
    I am intetrested to unlock my Nokia Lumia which I got from my son in law as he was not using it and it is locked to Wind Mobile and I use fido sim card which I have already cut and inserted in the Nokia. Can you help me to unlock this plase and give me maximum details as I am not highly efficient on these electronic gadgets.
    Thank you.
    Pravin
    Quote Originally Posted by aviperes2 View Post

Phone
    Nokia 808 PureView, LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Wind should SIM-unlock the Lumia 710 for free, according to this page:
    http://faqs.windmobile.ca/customer/p...lock-my-phone-

Do I need to unlock my phone?
    Last Updated: Aug 08, 2012 04:57PM EDT
    If you have one of the following handsets and you’ve received a message to change your SIM Card we encourage you to call 611 from your WIND phone to receive your unlock code:

Alcatel Tribe
    Alcatel One Touch 908
    BlackBerry Pearl 9100
    BlackBerry Curve 9300
    BlackBerry Curve 9360
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    BlackBerry Bold 9780
    BlackBerry Bold 9790
    Blackberry Bold 9900
    BlackBerry Torch 9810
    GoWell Quip G328
    Huawei U7519
    Huawei U1250
    Huawei U3200
    Huawei U8100
    Huawei U2801
    Huawei U6150
    Huawei Bolder U8350
    Huawei U8651
    Huawei Ascend P1
    Huawei E181 (Data Stick)
    Huawei E1691 (Data Stick)
    Huawei E366 (Data Stick)
    Huawei E583C (HotSpot)
    HTC Maple
    HTC Radar 4G
    HTC Amaze 4G
    LG dLite
    LG Optimus 2x
    Motorola XT720
    Nokia 5230
    Nokia C5
    Nokia C7
    Nokia 500
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Samsung Gravity2
    Samsung C414 (Flip)
    Samsung Galaxy S 4G
    Samsung Galaxy Q (Slider)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Past: Panasonic TX310, Siemens S40, Siemens A56, Nokia 6620, Nokia E71, Nokia 5230, Nokia C7-00 Belle
    Present: Nokia Lumia 710, Nokia 808 Pureview, LG Nexus 4

Feedback Score
    This worked well - Thank You! Had a question though - after the last step, of clicking "unlock" the 2nd time, to Restore the phone, a message appeared at the bottom -"Maybe restore DLOAD by switching to Flashing and hitting Restore"? When I did this, a severe warning came up saying that this was a very tricky operation where not even a Nokia Service Provider could fix the phone if it failed. So, I didn't do it. Has anyone tried this or the manual restoration from YouTube - Search "How to Restore Dload Bootloader from Qaulcomm Bootloader, by granadful. - Actually, I'm not sure what the benefit would be to restore the Nokia DLoad Bootloader, maybe the way you get notifications of updates on your phone?

Feedback Score
    Hi, links for Qualcomm BootLoader are not working anymore. At least the two first ones. Someone could help me to get them??
    Thanks a lot!!! Seb*