Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is OS 7 still worth getting?

Carriers
    Telus
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score

Is OS 7 still worth getting?

I have a spare 4S and HTC Evo LTE sitting around, and was thinking about trading one of them off on a Blackberry, or opting for a free early upgrade to a new Blackberry complete with a 3 year term (Telus) My contracts up next year.

I really like my 4S (upgrade 4S 16 GB to 64...WORTH IT) but can't stand the keyboard. Is the 9810 about the same size of the 9780?

I had a hold a 9900 for a bit and it didn't even feel like I was typing.

So is it worth trading off? I was leaning towards the HTC rather than the iPhone, other one would be going to a family member. I know RIM said they would release a BB 10 with a keyboard..

Phone
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    At this point I'd wait......at least that's what I'm doing

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    It really depends on how long you like to keep your phones. I have a tendancy to keep mine until they're worn out, and that can take quite a while with RIM hardware. I love OS7. The browser is reasonably fast and it's everything OS6 wasn't, I retro-ed back to OS5 after a few months of memory bleeds and rotten battery life. If you love the keyboard experience of the 9900 then bare in mind that the QWERTY BB10 will not be released immediately.

I have no problem with the prospect I could be running my 9900 for at least another year. Yes, I'm excited about BB10, but it'll still be there when it's time to change.

Phone
    BB Curve
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    I love OS7. The browser is reasonably fast and it's everything OS6 wasn't,
    That's one of the main reasons I'm leaving BB completely in the next couple months. I have a Curve 9330 running OS6. The OS became obsolete just months after getting the phone. Why would they build a phone in which you can't upgrade the OS, (or build an OS in which you can't upgrade it onto other phones)?

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ansky View Post
    That's one of the main reasons I'm leaving BB completely in the next couple months. I have a Curve 9330 running OS6. The OS became obsolete just months after getting the phone. Why would they build a phone in which you can't upgrade the OS, (or build an OS in which you can't upgrade it onto other phones)?
    In RIM's defence there are a whole bunch of late model Android phones that can't upgrade to ICS or Jelly Bean including a couple of the much vaunted Nexus models. There are Androids that were only launched a few months ago that will never see anything past Gingerbread. Anyone with an iPhone that's earlier than 4 is pretty much stuck with older versions of iOS. So to suggest that RIM is doing something that no other manufacturer isn't is erroneous.

OS6 was a disaster for some, a saviour for others, but the simple fact of the matter is that phones that were technically launched 3-3.5 years ago don't have the memory or chip sets to run OS7 properly. What would you rather have RIM do, not launch new phones for an additional 18 months and go straight from OS6 to BB10? I love my 9900 and 9790 phones and I don't feel the slightest bit cheated with having to buy a new phone next time around, especially when it's going to be run by industry leading software.
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 09-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    The problem with the OS6 browser is less the software per se, and more the hardware it's capable of running on is just too slow to handle today's websites.

Quite an interesting parallel with Windows Phone as well. WinMo 6.5 couldn't upgrade to 7, and WP7.5/8 can't upgrade to 8 (although there's more justification for BB than not upgrading the HD2).

I wouldn't buy a BlackBerry at the moment, unless it's the PlayBook. It'll be dropping to $118 for the 32GB model at WalMart Canada, and even if you have an OS6 device, you can still tether. (Alternately, you could also tether with your iPhone 4S using the WiFi hotspot).
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carriers
    Telus
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I went out and got a barely used 9900, (was a work phone but guy traded it for his personal iPhone)

FANTASTIC

Phone
    BB Curve
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you don't like the OS6 web browser, go into App World and download the Opera Mini browser. It is significantly faster than the OS6 browser and much more customizable in the way web pages are displayed.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Opera Mini is a pretty terrible battery hog if you forget to close it out when you're not using it.

Phone
    BlackBerry Passport
    Feedback Score
    For a 9900 with OS7 or OS7.1 I honestly don't believe there's any reason to get an aftermarket browser.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 710))

I'm glad that the OP got the 9900. Between that and the 9810 the 9900 is a better choice for typing. I had the 9810 but typing was a PITA with the crammed buttons.

I'm fine with the virtual QWERTY for casual use, but for faster and accurate typing I prefer physical QWERTYs.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Especially when mixing between numeric and letter inputs, I find the physical keyboard to be ideal..

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Fluid's: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.523 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I find OS 7 to be very good, especially the browser. I regret waiting this long to make the jump from OS 5.
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    For a 9900 with OS7 or OS7.1 I honestly don't believe there's any reason to get an aftermarket browser.
    True. I like the default browser over Opera. Much more fluid.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    The one thing I wish is that the new browser supported reflow like the old ones did. Sometimes, even on a 9900, there's too much text in a column and expanding the column isn't quite enough to make it comfortably readable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast