Thread: Straight Talk home phone service @ $15/mo

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk home phone service @ $15/mo

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopHomePhones

Launches 9/21. Looks like it runs off Verizon which is a plus. Cost is $99 for the device and $15/mo including nationwide long distance. It requires no internet and has a GPS chip plus a battery so you can use it during a power outage or I guess take it with you.

This is the Verizon version: http://www.verizonwireless.com/home-phone-connect.shtml

I think this is awesome. We ditched our landline 4 years ago ($40/mo including caller ID and without long distance) and I use T-Mobie's @Home service at $10/mo instead. That one relies on my broadband connection and can be flaky sometimes so this seems even better. It's definitely nice to have "real" cordless phones hooked up that are always charged and will ring much louder than a cell phone.

Thoughts?
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 635: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & LG Ultimate 2: TracFone (Verizon)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Awesome! Can't wait to see how this pans out. I'm currently paying $25 a month for my current unlimited local and long distance VoIP service. If I can save another $10 a month I might just go for it! Can't wait!

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can see it if you don't have high speed Internet. But, if you do, and most people do now days, you can't beat NetTalk. I've used them for about 3 years now. I can send and receive faxes and all. I got in on it when you could get it forever, (no annual fee) if you bought the TK6000 at a price of 100.00. Now, they have the NetTalk Duo and even a wifi duo now for 69.95 with a years service. It's 29.95 a year if you buy one of those after the first year.

I had a magic jack but didn't like having to have my computer booted to use it. Now, I understand they have a computer-less option too.
    PLEASE, don't PM me with questions that could and should be answered in the open forum. Then everyone can benefit from the answer, and you will get more than "one" opinion... Thanks.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is already a thread on this topic:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-Access-point
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GM1 View Post
    I can see it if you don't have high speed Internet. But, if you do, and most people do now days, you can't beat NetTalk. I've used them for about 3 years now. I can send and receive faxes and all. I got in on it when you could get it forever, (no annual fee) if you bought the TK6000 at a price of 100.00. Now, they have the NetTalk Duo and even a wifi duo now for 69.95 with a years service. It's 29.95 a year if you buy one of those after the first year.

I had a magic jack but didn't like having to have my computer booted to use it. Now, I understand they have a computer-less option too.
    Some routers have a USB A port for connecting devices such as flash drives, printers, etc..

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    I'm using a MagicJack Plus for the home phone, $30 (would be $20 but I ported my home # to it and you agree to pay an extra $10 for some reason) a year but requires an internet connection. I could see the ST solution being useful in the event of a power outage (assuming the cell network is still up) but otherwise, the MJP has been awesome for me.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Straight Talk solution would only work while the battery is charged in the device and you are using telephone line powered handsets. There are very few of them that would work when not used in a wall jack connected to POTS lines. The Staight Talk device only sends power to ring the device and to power the line during a call. Contstant power would exhaust the device's battery quickly. A cordless phone or answering machine phone would not work without external electrical power. The handset would work until the battery ran down but the base unit would not work.

Phones
    now the iphone 4s 64gb
    iphone 4s
    LG VX8350 on PPC
    Carriers
    Straighttalk and Verizon Dongle
    Feedback Score
    I would like to try the ST home phone thing but spend most of my time in an RV these days cruizing around. Does anybody know what the power drop is from the wall charger to the unit? I was thinking if it is 12V i could forget the wall power and just hook it up directly to my 12V RV power. I haven't seen one physically yet but if anybody out there has one, maybe you could look at the wall plug and tell me what the output power is rated at. That way it would never be out of power ( My golf cart batteries would last for days in the event of a power failure and if they drop down to 11VDC or so, i recharge them with my generator. I realize that a cordless phone wouldn't be in the cards but i would just use an old non-electricity dependent phone (like a dial phone that i use at home, a princess from the 60's)
    Thanks, Pete Walls (currently using a ST sim with a iphone 3gs with good results)

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    On page 12 of this link is a picture of the label from the device giving the electrical requirements: http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfo...cs/SG%20EN.pdf

Phones
    now the iphone 4s 64gb
    iphone 4s
    LG VX8350 on PPC
    Carriers
    Straighttalk and Verizon Dongle
    Feedback Score

Home Fone electrical requirements

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    On page 12 of this link is a picture of the label from the device giving the electrical requirements: http://img.deviceanywhere.com/tracfo...cs/SG%20EN.pdf
    Thanks a million for taking the time to pull this up for me! I'm sure lots of part~time RV'ers like us will appreciate it. It seems like i could port the home fone over to that thing and when i am at home in WA in the summer use it in a window, and when i am on the road 6 months out of the year (in Las Vegas now) I could just take it with me and hook it up in the RV. Then when traveling people would just have to call my cell..Pete Walls, Camas WA and everywhere else