Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ICS update for the SH-01D is out... for those who can get it

At last, Docomo did indeed take their time making the worst out of a good thing. Android ICS is now available to upgrade to, but - no surprise here - you must have Build version 1.00.07 in order for the phone to detect it, which means you must be in Japan, and on Docomo.

I will try to adapt the cheat procedure used to perform the major update on the SH-12C but...

And the first disappointment with the ICS upgrade is that Docomo have asked Sharp not to add Feel UX to it. Oh, foch!

Phones
    HTC One X
    HTC One X
    Fujitsu Arrows Z ISW11F
    Carriers
    AU by KDDI
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Sweet!

PS: from personally using the Feel UX for a couple of minutes at the store, I think it's a blessing it's not included

Phones
    too many to place them here
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    D905i, SH-07a
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(main)
    At&T(Pre Paid)
    Feedback Score
    if could get the firmware perhaps we could implement teh framework parts like the lockscreen?. that lockscreen on FeelUX is damn sexy....too bad my phone bricked!!!! i can't do anything right now.
    We lose as much as we gain through life, and that includes who we used to be.

I WANT TO BUY A FUJITSU ESPRIMO DH550!!

Phones
    GT-i9250
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Sharp 8158U, NTT DoCoMo SH-06A, SH-07B
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    中華電信 / 台灣大哥大 / Vodafone Australia
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticallyYou View Post
    if could get the firmware perhaps we could implement teh framework parts like the lockscreen?. that lockscreen on FeelUX is damn sexy....too bad my phone bricked!!!! i can't do anything right now.
    Are you just bricking things left and right now?

It's all good (^_^)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...668534-IonNuke <<< My Feedback... rising from the dead.

Everyone's on their own for hypersims. I'm out har har har har har~~~~

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Someone on the XDA reported that after updating to ICS, he's only got a miserable amount of RAM left:
    I too used to have more than 400MB free RAM before the update, but now I only have an average of 150~85MB free. (gaijin1%)
    What?!?!

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    D905i, SH-07a
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(main)
    At&T(Pre Paid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IonNuke View Post
    Are you just bricking things left and right now?
    hahaha no, i tried to modify certain things , is not bricked per se but i have the bad emmc on the glacier so technically ...yeah is bricked, the emmc just gave up on me so until i get something im back to the LX 09

Phones
    GT-i9250
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Sharp 8158U, NTT DoCoMo SH-06A, SH-07B
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    中華電信 / 台灣大哥大 / Vodafone Australia
    Feedback Score
    hahaha no, i tried to modify certain things , is not bricked per se but i have the bad emmc on the glacier so technically ...yeah is bricked, the emmc just gave up on me so until i get something im back to the LX 09
    I still got some stuff that's a smidge better than the LX 09

Phones
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    903sh, p905i, sh-06a, sh9010c,f906i
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    sidekicks still work?

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems we (thanks to Tokyo_dom) have managed to sniff the correct URL that the MajorUpdate app is querying to find out if an update is available. After deodexing the application to it source Java code, the URL is:
    Code:
    http://ad-dl.4sh.jp/firm_update/DOCOMO_SH-01D_VerCheck_dclva9vK.xml
    If you open this in your browser you will see a version check being made and the phone being redirected to the corresponding URL. According to the code, if you have version 1.00.07, you should be taken to the update page.

The whole trick is to cheat the phone into thinking it is visiting the original URL by setting up a DNS server and a local webserver, then changing your Wi-Fi settings to use your DNS server to decipher the URL, rather than a real DNS server. Basically, you tell the phone to open your own computer's IP address when it tries to open http://ad-dl.4sh.jp .

Now, I must say that I wasn't able get a successful "update is available" message. All I get is "failed to connect". However, following my instructions, someone on XDA managed to "find an available update" and even start it. Unfortunately, his phone got stuck at reboot after the update installation was complete!

What the reason for such a disaster is, I cannot say, not can anyone else, I reckon. His SH-01D was running version 1.00.00 or 1.00.01.

If you want to know more - or try the method yourself - visit this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...378206&page=30 and read on from my post (#295).

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    D905i, SH-07a
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(main)
    At&T(Pre Paid)
    Feedback Score
    this is another though i had yesterday after reading your email cheeseus, you could do a system dump of your SH-01D , if i recall you do not need root permissions(i might be wrong but i think you do not) , once you pull the system image you could pull whatever files have on the phone to push them back but even for this task you will need at least temporary root in this case the build.prop where system info, android version, API version, etc etc is detailed so let's say on cheeseus SH-01D we install the system update apk then the APK (not the phone) will call the processes needed to start the update and verify your system version which is in the build.prop, now bear with me as i never owned an android keitai so im applying the standard knowledge here; Why do i talk about the build.prop? because is the file that identifies your phone for network related tasks like the Play Store for example, Google filters the APK results based on your android version, API level, carrier footprints etc, etc so i say we could give it a try to the build.prop.

Once we add the modified information all we have left is to do the fake server thing or trying to download the update directly from the phone.

Another though i had on why the phones brick could be different things, Remember cheeseus about the SimLockBroadcastReceiver.smali file we found on the SHSimControlApp.app , it could be that the file instructs the OS to lock itself? since you are not on Japan it could happen or it could also be a bad update image.

so far is all i can think,i really can't think of something else at the moment as i myself can't play around with any of these expensive phones , i don't have them so it makes it difficult for me to follow up or come up with a complete idea .

anyway i hope i could be of help .

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    D905i, SH-07a
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(main)
    At&T(Pre Paid)
    Feedback Score
    yes they do, you could call it a keitai since only phone, sms works ....ah and the bob's journey game hahaha

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, I got my SH-01D back - now updated to ICS. Thanks Martin!

I am not sure, however, that this upgrade is a good thing.

The amount of available RAM is severely reduced. I used to have between 530 MB and 430 MB of free RAM before, and now it's only 230 MB-210 MB.

The supposedly good function to disable an application is virtually useless. I did indeed disable more than a dozen apps but the Docomo Application Manager, two PhonebookService apps, and two Picture (3D-capable) apps are running constantly and can't be stopped. I cannot figure out what is taking 430 MB of RAM! 430 + 215 = 635 (at the moment), which leaves some 365 MB reserved for Android.

The phone is not running any more smoothly - in fact, I've noticed a slight choppy-ness from time to time.

I do not see any improvement in battery life. But I can't really say yet. Last night I hooked it to the charger at about 10% and six or seven hours later it was charged up to 28%. Before it would take between 4 and 5 hours to charge from under 10% to 100%. So I've decided to try and charge it using another one charger I have - this one works at 6.0 Volts, whereas the other two I have both work at 5.5 Volts. This one seems to charge a bit faster - from 7% to 37% in one and a half hours.

I am very disappointed by the new unlock screen - this ugly button you have to press and hold to unlock. At least they could have done it like on other ICS phones - tap and slide towards an icon of choice. There are three icons underneath - a Camera shortcut, a Dialler shortcut and a Docomo Mail one. Only the Camera shortcut works. And the choice of icons is not customizable.

It would be great if someone can find a way to extract the Feel UX app(s) from the SoftBank counterpart of the SH-01D, the 102SH, so that the UI is just a little less ugly and incoherent.

--------------
    EDIT: I am clearly having some problem with charging. When I hook the 5.5 V charger (the one I'd been using before the upgrade), the battery level is actually decreasing! Over the past hour and twenty minutes, with one one-minute phone call, and syncing on as usual, the battery has "charged" from 9% to 6%. LOL...

...And 45 minutes later the battery level was down to 1%, so played a bit with the phone, and it shut down completely.

Will try the 6.0 V charger now although this doesn't seem like a permanent solution.
    Last edited by cheeseus; 10-31-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    (Copying my post from XDA)

Let me revise my statement on battery life. Almost four full days of using the phone since it arrived upgraded, I have different observations on battery life. My initial impressions are most probably due to the fact that the battery had spent almost four weeks in the drawer and this may have caused charging/discharging problems.

I must mention though that the charger I had been using before - a genuine Japanese Sharp charger working at 5.2 V / 650 mA - now cannot be used as the battery seems to be discharging faster than it is being charged. Example: hooked the phone at 9% level the day before, ten minutes later it had dropped to 8%, and 45-50 minutes later it shut down completely after reaching 1%.

Now I am using another genuine Japanese charger working at 6.0 V / 650 mA - charges fine. However, a friend advised me that the smartphone charger should be more powerful, not faster (Voltage = speed, Ampers = power) and that I should get a 5.2 Volt or similar but 1.0 Amper.

Battery life in standby is indeed notably improved -- from 100% at midnight, it drops to 94%-93% at 9:30 in the morning, and I have background syncing on (I'm not using any energy saving settings), and my email app (K-9) checks my two non-Gmail email addresses once every hour and once every two hours respectively.

The fastest way to drain battery is playing a game. There's this HD shooting game I've been playing (The Last Defender) which really sucks up all the juice. The situation after the upgrade looks just a bit better, e.g. 15 minutes of game play will not drain 15% but 11-12%.

Also, stability is improved. This same game normally caused the phone to overheat, including popping up a warning message, after 15-20 minutes max. And often (probably because of this) the game would lose sound, or would shut itself, or would freeze the phone to the extent I either had to pull the battery out or wait for 2-3 minutes before I could exit to the Home screen. This isn't happening any more.

So, other than the huge reduction of available RAM and the ugly unlock button -- things are improved and the phone is behaving better. Well, there's the notifications area problem... when I pull it down, in half of the instances it is completely back - the various icons and texts show up after 3-5 seconds, or after pulling it back and out two or three times.

Carriers
    DOCOMO
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm glad things seem to be picking up, Cheeseus

I hope some fixes are sent out, and that Google Now makes it to ICS some day...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martindesu View Post
    I'm glad things seem to be picking up, Cheeseus
    I hope some fixes are sent out, and that Google Now makes it to ICS some day...
    Can you get me a system dump for SH-01D dump?
    It does not require root. with adb, just adb pull /system system && adb pull init.rc init.rc
    After that, system files will be appear in your adb folder. and please zip that folder and send to my email. jkl5616 gmail.com
    Is it possible?
    If you can,please send me system dump. thanks
    and sorry for my bad english

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast