Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Can I keep my unlimited data on Verizon?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgar22 View Post
    I transferred my upgrade online from my smartphone with unlimited data to my dumbphone line and went through the checkout process up until the point where you enter credit card info. It made me choose a data plan for the dumbphone line but never mentioned my current smartphone plan at all.

Are you saying that it would take away the unlimited data on that line without letting me know?
    You're wording things weird and that might be throwing jseah and myself off.
    You have 5 lines, 2 are smartphones with unlimited data, 3 are dumbphones.

Now which line is eligible for the upgrade? You said the smartphone line is eligible. If you use the upgrade from a smartphone line, you will lose unlimited data. You can't transfer the actual upgrade eligibility between lines; you can only transfer the phones after the new contract begins.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgar22 View Post
    I transferred my upgrade online from my smartphone with unlimited data to my dumbphone line and went through the checkout process up until the point where you enter credit card info. It made me choose a data plan for the dumbphone line but never mentioned my current smartphone plan at all.

Are you saying that it would take away the unlimited data on that line without letting me know?
    I'm curious, are these two individual lines with their own plans, or are they two lines on a family plan?

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Phones
    VX8350
    ENV2
    V3M Razor
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I'm curious, are these two individual lines with their own plans, or are they two lines on a family plan?

--Kidd
    Sorry for any confusion...all 5 lines are on the same family plan. Only one of the five has an upgrade available and that is a droid x with unlimited data.

Online, I transferred the available upgrade to one of the dumbphones then added an iphone 5 to the cart under the dumphone line and went through the checkout process. All information and plan changes involved the current dumbphone number that I was upgrading...no mention at all of the droid x plan or any changes to that line at all.

Feedback Score
    Is this loophole below to keep unlimited data legit? I think the gist is that you upgrade some other line to iPhone or another subsidized device, then transfer it to the line with unlimited data. For some reason a dumb phone needs to be involved. Some of the posts in this thread suggest the same loophole.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

I would think if true 1) every website would be running with it or 2) Verizon would close the loophole.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone have threaten to cancel and been able to get both the subsidized price and keep their unlimited data? I'm curious about this one because I am thinking about pulling this one when I can upgrade in a few months.

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
    Has anyone have threaten to cancel and been able to get both the subsidized price and keep their unlimited data? I'm curious about this one because I am thinking about pulling this one when I can upgrade in a few months.
    I would assume that since they laugh at people who threaten to leave over the upgrade fee. Would they cave on people who want to keep unlimited and subsidize the handset...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    At&t SGS III Belton/Nolanville, TX

Feedback Score
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

For certain systemic reasons that can't be gotten around.

*edit* Systemic reasons if you're on a individual plan at any rate. On a family plan, if you use someone else's upgrade and DON'T process it as an alternate (i.e. you attach the order to the number whose upgrade you're actually using) THEN activate the phone on the line you want to keep unlimited data on... well, it does work. It's just a lot more futzing about with things. This of course assumes that the other line isn't a smartphone with unlimited data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

For certain systemic reasons that can't be gotten around.

*edit* Systemic reasons if you're on a individual plan at any rate. On a family plan, if you use someone else's upgrade and DON'T process it as an alternate (i.e. you attach the order to the number whose upgrade you're actually using) THEN activate the phone on the line you want to keep unlimited data on... well, it does work. It's just a lot more futzing about with things. This of course assumes that the other line isn't a smartphone with unlimited data.
    I am only a family plan right now. The problem with that is that my Mom and I both have unlimited and my Dad has a non smartphone but he wants to get an iPhone 5 so it will lock him into the at least 2gb plan. I have actually told them not to go to the Verizon store or Best Buy without me because I don't want some store rep screwing them or screwing something up. As for me, it looks like I am either buying all of my phones on eBay (most likely) or going to ST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    I would assume that since they laugh at people who threaten to leave over the upgrade fee. Would they cave on people who want to keep unlimited and subsidize the handset...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    They wouldn't waive a upgrade fee? I am a AT&T CSR and every time they even ask about I waive it. I don't understand how we are behind Verizon in customer happiness when we give credits and free phones away all the time.

Feedback Score
    They wouldn't waive a upgrade fee? I am a AT&T CSR and every time they even ask about I waive it. I don't understand how we are behind Verizon in customer happiness when we give credits and free phones away all the time.
    I can count on one hand with multiple fingers left over (that is to say - all of them) the amount of times I've seen a supe waive the upgrade fee since VZW started charging it.

Does that mean its never happened? I'm sure it's been waived or credited by someone somewhere at some point. But I'm also sure that rep/supe had some explaining to do to their Associate Director or Center Director.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    I can count on one hand with multiple fingers left over (that is to say - all of them) the amount of times I've seen a supe waive the upgrade fee since VZW started charging it.

Does that mean its never happened? I'm sure it's been waived or credited by someone somewhere at some point. But I'm also sure that rep/supe had some explaining to do to their Associate Director or Center Director.
    That's just nuts. We waive that and activation fees without thinking about. My wise trainer told me "if it is under $50, just credit it." Actually, one of my former coworker told me if I worked for Verizon I would get fired with in a month for the appropriate credits I apply at AT&T. So maybe I should not reapply at Verizon.

Feedback Score
    1. smart
    2. smart
    3. dumb

Use 3's upgrade to get an iPhone 5 on tiered and activate on 2 or 1. Then go back to feature phone on 3. How's that work? Doesn't upgrading 3 to get the iPhone subsidized mean you're locked into 2 GB tiered plan for 2 years?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everyone View Post
    1. smart
    2. smart
    3. dumb

Use 3's upgrade to get an iPhone 5 on tiered and activate on 2 or 1. Then go back to feature phone on 3. How's that work? Doesn't upgrading 3 to get the iPhone subsidized mean you're locked into 2 GB tiered plan for 2 years?
    Nope. Once you remove the smartphone from that line, you are no longer required to have a data plan on that line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Nope. Once you remove the smartphone from that line, you are no longer required to have a data plan on that line.
    Okay.. then I have another question on that. Are upgrades linked to the phone # or to the phone?

For instance...

1. smart upgrade available
    2. smart upgrade available
    3. dumb upgrade available

3. use dumb upgrade to get $200 iPhone 5 on tiered data. Activate iPhone 5 on 1 or 2.

NEXT switch phone number between 1 and 3. The phone # that was on 3 should now be on the unlimited data plan and #1 will be on tiered data plan, still having his upgrade available.

So then the #3 will have yet another upgrade available since he just switched from #1... Could he again upgrade to an iPhone 5 for $200 and just stick with the tiered data plan while letting #1 and #2 stay unlimited?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Okay.. then I have another question on that. Are upgrades linked to the phone # or to the phone?

For instance...

1. smart upgrade available
    2. smart upgrade available
    3. dumb upgrade available

3. use dumb upgrade to get $200 iPhone 5 on tiered data. Activate iPhone 5 on 1 or 2.
    This will work fine.

NEXT switch phone number between 1 and 3. The phone # that was on 3 should now be on the unlimited data plan and #1 will be on tiered data plan, still having his upgrade available.

So then the #3 will have yet another upgrade available since he just switched from #1... Could he again upgrade to an iPhone 5 for $200 and just stick with the tiered data plan while letting #1 and #2 stay unlimited?
    It doesn't work like that. You cannot switch phone numbers between lines. From what I understand, the only way to get number #3 onto line 1 would be to port out number 3, keep it out for 3 or 6 months, and then port it back in. Porting it back in prior to the 3 or 6 month cut-off would reactivate the original line.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast