Thread: Tmobile $30 unlimited data as a hotspot?

Feedback Score

Tmobile $30 unlimited data as a hotspot?

I recently switched to Straight Talk unlimited (need more minutes than Tmobile offers in it's $30 plan), I have a Tmobile phone (G2X).
    Straight Talk "unlimited" supposedly gets upset if you actually use too much of the unlimited data. I normally don't use much data, so it's normally not a problem.
    My phone can work as a hotspot, which is also disallowed by Straight talk. I work from my computer and need to work from a NONpublic location. My daughter needs to be in the hospital next week, I need to work (had to take two weeks off work last time she was in the hospital, last month). I was wondering if I used a Tmobile Sim card (bought 2 before I decided on Straight Talk), activated it before the hospital stay, popped it in my phone and used my phone as a hotspot for the hospital stay, then just let it run out--I likely would't use more than a GB a day, likely less, but I've never kept track of what I use data-wise, so not really sure. Is that even allowed on Tmobile "unlimited"? I know they throttle after 5 gb, but we'll likely only be in for 4-5 days, so I shouldn't reach that. I usually only work a few hours each day, but can usually only get work on weekdays.
    If this works then I could use it, (with a new sim card each time, right?) again next time she's in, and after that....it's not infreuent!
    Thanks for any help you can give me!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momto2girls View Post
    I was wondering if I used a Tmobile Sim card (bought 2 before I decided on Straight Talk), activated it before the hospital stay, popped it in my phone and used my phone as a hotspot for the hospital stay, then just let it run out
    Yes, that should be fine. Even if you let it run out, you could probably re-up the same SIM card with $30 if it's still within the 90 days or so before T-Mobile deactivates the SIM permanently. But if the account is completely closed, you would have to activate the $30 plan on a new SIM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!! I thought it should work. At least if I can work while there the time will go by a bit quicker.

Phones
    Motorola M800 Portable Phone
    Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050
    Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The $30 100 minute plan does not allow tethering without an additional charge, they can detect it and will send you to an upsell page. The only way I found to use this plan is to buy an unlocked aircard that isn't on their ban list, like the Zoom USB modem.
    How many people own a working bag phone AND a Telular box?

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    I used that plan with the hotspot by adding a new apn with epc.tmobile.com or internet2.voicestream.com. Then it works great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    The $30 100 minute plan does not allow tethering without an additional charge, they can detect it and will send you to an upsell page.
    I think it depends on the device whether they block tethering or not. The person who posed the question uses a G2X and I can't remember if T-Mobile will detect and send one to an upsell page on the tethering or not.

Feedback Score
    It depends on the browser user agent string. I think the tethering plan is like $10? It's worth it IMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    I used that plan with the hotspot by adding a new apn with epc.tmobile.com or internet2.voicestream.com. Then it works great.
    which field would those values be in? I actually deleted my original Tmobile APN so will have to recreate it anyhow. THANKS! I am hoping to try out activating the tmobile plan and using the phone as a hot spot this weekend.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    The tethering plan is $15, but even $45 is a great deal for 5 gigs of data "unlimited" but really slow after the 5.
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCharmedOne View Post
    The tethering plan is $15, but even $45 is a great deal for 5 gigs of data "unlimited" but really slow after the 5.
    The question is:
    Can you add the sharing through my t-mobile?
    BTW, I will get this prepaid plan once I got S2 and I will tell.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Yeah you can do it once you get your plan no problem.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Quote Originally Posted by MrObvious
    Yeah you can do it once you get your plan no problem.
    It may be OK for backup internet sharing when need.