Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk / Verizon Data Coverage

Feedback Score

Straight Talk / Verizon Data Coverage

I've been rooting through these forums like a badger in a trash can, but don't have a good grasp on my question, which is, "How can I figure out the Verizon calling/data coverage in an area I go to for work?"

I've read the grainy, too small green Straight Talk maps. The other maps online have just confused me. It appears that Verizon data and calling coverages are different?

I got the Verizon phone because I thought it would have the best coverage. I live in Phoenix and it's great here. I traveled to East-Central Arizona (extreme boonies) a couple months ago, and again, the coverage was very good. No problems in Tucson or Yuma either.

But this week, I went to Lake Havasu City, Bullhead City, Golden Valley and Kingman, and most of the time I had no data coverage at all. Portions of LHC and Kingman were 1x data. Many parts of GV and BHC had no coverage at all - no voice, text, or data. Good thing I had ol' fashioned maps with me so I could get to my appointments (no data = no functioning gps/maps). But it was very frustrating not having a phone for most of 3 days. What gives? I had better coverage with Virgin Wireless.

Where can I find the Verizon maps with accurate coverage telling me where I might get hosed on my next business trip? Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    the coverage for straight talk phones that use the verizon network are native coverage only (no roaming)
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ated-8-16-2012 look at post #13 for the maps
    Last edited by october262; 09-13-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-TX View Post
    I've been rooting through these forums like a badger in a trash can, but don't have a good grasp on my question, which is, "How can I figure out the Verizon calling/data coverage in an area I go to for work?"

I've read the grainy, too small green Straight Talk maps. The other maps online have just confused me. It appears that Verizon data and calling coverages are different?

I got the Verizon phone because I thought it would have the best coverage. I live in Phoenix and it's great here. I traveled to East-Central Arizona (extreme boonies) a couple months ago, and again, the coverage was very good. No problems in Tucson or Yuma either.

But this week, I went to Lake Havasu City, Bullhead City, Golden Valley and Kingman, and most of the time I had no data coverage at all. Portions of LHC and Kingman were 1x data. Many parts of GV and BHC had no coverage at all - no voice, text, or data. Good thing I had ol' fashioned maps with me so I could get to my appointments (no data = no functioning gps/maps). But it was very frustrating not having a phone for most of 3 days. What gives? I had better coverage with Virgin Wireless.

Where can I find the Verizon maps with accurate coverage telling me where I might get hosed on my next business trip? Thanks for your help.
    The very best maps I have seen for VZW are on the Page Plus website showing their coverage of VZW native and roaming (not available on ST) coverage.

You can get an awesome idea of coverage there, their map is superior, I think, to even Verizons own map.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    have you tried going to verizon web site and checking it

Feedback Score
    No, I didn't go to Verizon's website, my arms are painted on LOL

Yeah I did spend some time on VZW's site, but again, there are too many buttons to click to figure out what it is I should be looking for - the site requires you to choose among different plans, different types of data. That's why I came here, to get some helpful information about how to proceed. Too bad I didn't come here for unhelpful sarcastic trolling, or I'd've hit the jackpot, no?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this idea. I'll check it out. I am a bit surprised that a region of AZ with over 150,000 people living in it appears to have virtually no Verizon cell service. I'd always heard that Verizon's coverage is unparalleled.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    First off, let me just state that the Verizon maps lie. Flatly lie. According to their maps, I should have perfect coverage in my area, yet in my area Verizon drops calls and coverage regularly, and is a distant second to ATT. I live near the TX-OK border.

I've found that ATT has better coverage in "flyover country," overall.

Verizon *does not* have 100% coverage everywhere...no matter what they claim. And, since Verizon's network is a hodgepodge of smaller networks they've cobbled together into one mismatched technological nightmare, it doesn't always work reliably...especially when you get out of the truly major metropolitan areas.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckknight View Post
    First off, let me just state that the Verizon maps lie. Flatly lie. According to their maps, I should have perfect coverage in my area, yet in my area Verizon drops calls and coverage regularly, and is a distant second to ATT. I live near the TX-OK border.

I've found that ATT has better coverage in "flyover country," overall.

Verizon *does not* have 100% coverage everywhere...no matter what they claim. And, since Verizon's network is a hodgepodge of smaller networks they've cobbled together into one mismatched technological nightmare, it doesn't always work reliably...especially when you get out of the truly major metropolitan areas.
    yes very true,they teamed up with bluegrass cellular here to get voice and sms only

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the coverage for straight talk phones that use the verizon network are native coverage only (no roaming)
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ated-8-16-2012 look at post #13 for the maps
    The problem with these maps you've cited are (a) they're incorrect because they show coverage in areas where I now know there is no coverage; and (b) they are insufficiently detailed, too small and too low-res to be able to make much sense of.

The maps you've referred me to show that there is VZW coverage in the part of the country I had the worst time in (NW Ariz). I had no coverage - no calls, texts or data - in a large area extending from Bullhead City, AZ to Kingman, AZ (about 50 miles). I also had a lot of trouble 70 mi south in Lake Havasu City, with dropped calls, and again, no data whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this tip. This is the worst I've ever had it. I've been in this part of the world (NW Ariz) using Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Sprint and now Straight Talk/Verizon. This is the worst coverage I've ever had in these parts.

Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Did you check the Page Plus maps at all?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    Did you check the Page Plus maps at all?
    I just checked them, thanks. I have been away for awhile, because I was confused about the trouble HF has been experiencing, and then got busy.

The maps show the entire region I've referred to as a roaming area. I don't know what that means in terms of Straight Talk coverage. I did have phone capabilities in Lake Havasu City, and minimal data in portions of the town. But the map shows LHC as being the same, coverage-wise, as Kingman and Bullhead City. I had phone and nothing else in Bullhead, and nothing (no phone, data or texting) in Kingman. So ... I dunno how to figure this out. I dread calling Straight Talk, because I now I'll just get CSR BS.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Plug in the zip code on StraightTalk.com and see if you see any Verizon phones (is the Proclaim)

Sent from my LG Nitro HD
    Verizon 4G LTE----------------------------------AT&T 4G LTE

FreedomPop 4G WiMax

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Meant 'ie' not 'is'
    For some reason it won't let me edit my post in Tapatalk

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-TX View Post

Supposedly ATT covers most of those areas you say you travel in NW AZ. I live in Phoenix and traveled most of this state on the ST ATT sim in an Atrix 4g. Sure, a lot of the '3g' areas are really edge, but edge data is superior to no data. The only time I lost any signal was the mountains outside of San Diego on the way back from a trip a couple weeks ago. Now, obviously... find an ATT person first, but it may be better than VZW.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast