Thread: Samsung Galaxy S2 on ST (using AT&T Towers)

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S2 on ST (using AT&T Towers)

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is now available on ST using an AT&T SIM.

Get 'em before Apple gets their sale banned in the U.S.!
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Feedback Score
    You can get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(GSM) from Google Play for $50 less.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Acee View Post
    You can get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(GSM) from Google Play for $50 less (than Straight Talk's SII).

Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy SII

Yeah, the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus has

• bigger screen (4.65" vs. 4.3"),
    • an HD resolution screen (720x1280 vs 480x800)[720p is minimum resolution to be called HD, and the resolution is always the lowest number in the dimensions. Thus, the SII is 480p, while the Nexus is 720p.]
    • Jelly Bean (Android 4.1 vs Android 2.3),
    • more powerful CPU (same MHz, but faster chip),
    • and is a pentaband phone. (Which means you can choose any GSM provider in the world. You will get HSPA+ speeds on both AT&T and T-Mobile.)

The HD resolution is a big deal for me. All current high end Androids have it. The new iPhone 5 STILL doesn't have an HD screen, which is pathetic. (iPhone 5: 640x1136) You get the Nexus and you'll have a phone that still better than the new iPhone 5.

All for a cheaper price - $349. (vs Straight Talk SII for $399).

S2 is still a decent phone but it's like saying, "Do you want this 2005 Honda Accord for $20,000 or this 2012 Honda Accord for $15,000?"

2005 Honda Accord

2012 Honda Accord

The 2005 Accord was a great car for its time, still good now. But a new 2012 Honda Accord for a cheaper price?

This guy thinks the Nexus is competitive with the new SIII

Now if Straight Talk priced the SII at $299 -- $50 cheaper than the Galaxy Nexus -- that would get consideration. But $399 -- $50 more than the superior Galaxy Nexus? Doesn't make sense Straight Talk would price it like that. Very strange.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-15-2012 at 01:36 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    Your picture is incorrectly captioned.

That's an iPhone, not an S2

I'm currently torn between the S2 and the Nexus. But the S2 I want is the T-Mobile version with a 4.52 inch screen and a 1.5 Ghz processor. It has the 850 and 1900 mhz bands, but would need to be unlocked. I also believe that it would have to be reflashed to use those bands.

The advantage to the S2 is it has a better camera and expandable memory. If neither of those are important to you, the GNex seems to be better(plus no bloatware).

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Jackson View Post
    Your picture is incorrectly captioned.

That's an iPhone, not an S2

I'm currently torn between the S2 and the Nexus. But the S2 I want is the T-Mobile version with a 4.52 inch screen and a 1.5 Ghz processor. It has the 850 and 1900 mhz bands, but would need to be unlocked. I also believe that it would have to be reflashed to use those bands.

The advantage to the S2 is it has a better camera and expandable memory. If neither of those are important to you, the GNex seems to be better(plus no bloatware).
    Argghh. Changed it. But the facts are the same -- the Nexus is better than Straight Talk's SII (AT&T's model number is SGH-i777; I assume so is Straight Talk's).

Accidentally grabbed the URL comparing the superior Nexus to the iPhone. Fixed now. Thanks. I also corrected one more thing -- both the AT&T & T-mobile version of the SII, as well as the Nexus do have NFC chips. Which shows Apple is really the laggard in not putting it in their iPhone 5.

Thanks for the info on the T-Mobile SII variant. I really wasn't aware that Samsung made one with a slightly larger display for T-Mobile.
    _______

Yes, the camera is where the SII has some advantage. But even the slightly larger T-mobile version of the SII (SGH-T989) does not have an HD rez screen. Same resolution (800-by-480-pixel resolution), just over a slightly larger screen. And the Nexus screen is HD and still bigger (4.65").

_______

By the way, I'm running my Nexus at 1536 Mhz (1.5 GHz). Could go up to 1804 Mhz (1.8 GHz), but no need as long as I can run as fast as the new SIIIs. The Nexus overclocks very well. I have Franco speed kernel and AndroidMe custom ROM. I have the same on my wife's Galaxy Nexus, but I kept her at 1.2 GHz -- which still runs faster benchmarks than ST/AT&T SII 1.2 GHz, due the the better CPU chips.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-15-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    In fairness, the other pic is good too, since we all know the Nexus is better than the iPhone

I'm going to probably reward myself at the end of the semester with a Nexus, using the proceeds from selling my textbooks. I like the S2, but the camera and the expandable memory lose out to the Nexus's lack of bloatware, direct ota updates from Google, and HD resolution.

I have an 8 MP digital camera for 8 mp pictures.