Thread: Will an unbranded Galaxy S3 work with 4g on tmobile?

Phone
    Nokia 6230
    Feedback Score

Will an unbranded Galaxy S3 work with 4g on tmobile?

I want to get the S3 but I dont want the T-Mobile bloatware and dont want to mess with rooting. If I buy an unbranded S3 from here will it have 4g on the tmobile network? My international S2 didnt have 4g

I know that tmobile operates on 1700/2100 1900 and the phone has 1900 and 2100 but doesnt have 1700. What does this mean exactly? Will I have 4g but not all the time If I am in a 1700 range tower or something?

Thanks

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

It works ONLY in PCS HSPA covered area.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It depends. T-Mobile is refarming. If you are in an area that gets 3G on the iPhone or any unlocked phone then you should be good. Currently they are still doing more markets

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums
    Had Unlimited Data on Verizon. Now on 6GB share plan(not a real biggie).

Phone
    Nokia 6230
    Feedback Score
    so am I better off getting the branded version that will give my 4g access more often? is tethering turned off on the branded version as it was on the hercules?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrawr View Post
    so am I better off getting the branded version that will give my 4g access more often? is tethering turned off on the branded version as it was on the hercules?
    Yes, the branded version will get 4g in more areas. If you get the postpaid 5GB plan it includes tethering.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    LG Motion MS770
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I don't how other people feel about which version of the Samsung Galaxy S III to get for T-Mobile USA, but I think the AT&T version is better since it can do GSM, HSPA+ and LTE while the remaining versions can only do GSM and HSPA+. Once T-Mobile lights up LTE, I will already have first dibs on using it.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I don't how other people feel about which version of the Samsung Galaxy S III to get for T-Mobile USA, but I think the AT&T version is better since it can do GSM, HSPA+ and LTE while the remaining versions can only do GSM and HSPA+. Once T-Mobile lights up LTE, I will already have the front seat to use it.
    No the T-Mobile version is better. It's a quad band phone that handles both T-Mobile and AT&T HSPA+, while the AT&T version does not. As for LTE, you can only use that on AT&T LET, not anyone else's. So FOR T-Mobile and AT&T, the T-Mobile S3 is better.

Once T-Mobile lights up their LTE you will see that will only allow T-Mobile devices to use it.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    LG Motion MS770
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    As for LTE, you can only use that on AT&T LET, not anyone else's.
    That's why I have the AT&T version.

Once T-Mobile lights up their LTE you will see that will only allow T-Mobile devices to use it.
    I don't see why T-Mobile USA would restrict usage on it if they're advertising BYOD and it making claims it work on their network. It seems counter intuitive to advertise it as such only to restrict it to T-Mobile USA branded devices, but we'll find out none the less. In any case, I already have LTE on AT&T anyways so whether T-Mobile wants to restrict LTE to their branded devices is irrelevant in my case.

Phones
    Lg vx4400, vx6000
    Samsung S200, S307
    Nokia 7160
    Feedback Score
    Restricting what LTE? Nobody even have any idea what frequency spectrum will TMobile LTE be run on. We don't even know if they are compatible with Att LTE.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I don't see why T-Mobile USA would restrict usage on it if they're advertising BYOD and it making claims it work on their network. .
    Please clarify "what" they are advertising as BYOD and show me where it (what?) will work on their network. It sounds like you are talking about the iPhone 4S, and this discussion is about the S3.

Quote Originally Posted by lusec View Post
    Restricting what LTE? Nobody even have any idea what frequency spectrum will TMobile LTE be run on. We don't even know if they are compatible with Att LTE.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    YES, we do know the frequencies. And we know it won't be compatible.

T-Mobile's pricier Samsung Galaxy S3 will not get LTE
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...l-not-get-lte/
    T-Mobile's AWS spectrum is the culprit here, since it will carry T-Mo's LTE network.

AT&T and Verizon, on the other hand, use bands in the 700MHz spectrum for their LTE. Adding support for T-Mobile's unlaunched LTE network would mean adding more bands in the LTE radio."
    The T-mobile LTE will be on DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES than the AT&T's LTE. AT&T's LTE radio is only set for the 700MHz spectrum. AT&T LTE phones will NOT receive T-Mobile LTE.

I have an international Galaxy Nexus, which is a pentaband phone. It will work with both AT&T and T-Mobile, as well as all other GSM carriers in the world. However, the international (unbranded) S3 is only a quad band phone and leaves off the T-mobile frequencies. I don't know what. BUT, the T-Mobile branded S3 is also a quad band phone, but it only leaves off a band not used in the USA. The T-Mobile S3, once unlocked, will get both AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+. The AT&T S3 will NOT.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    LG Motion MS770
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Please clarify "what" they are advertising as BYOD and show me where it (what?) will work on their network. It sounds like you are talking about the iPhone 4S, and this discussion is about the S3.
    The iPhone 3G/4S is just an example seeing that people do use them on T-Mobile.
    Nevertheless, T-Mobile USA does allow you to sign up if you BYOD, iPhone or not.

The T-mobile LTE will be on DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES than the AT&T's LTE. AT&T's LTE radio is only set for the 700MHz spectrum. AT&T LTE phones will NOT receive T-Mobile LTE.
    Untrue, AT&T uses both Band 4 and 17 for LTE.
    The AT&T version is also capable of using LTE on Band 4 and will deploy on this band to meet capacity needs.
    T-Mobile USA will also use LTE on the Band 4.

Goto the AT&T website for the i747 version and it will say Band 4 and 17.

Feedback Score
    The cnet article was wrong. AT&T will implement LTE on AWS 1700 as well. Even AT&T's version of the iPhone 5 contains band IV, AWS, for LTE.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Indeed, AT&T's LTE devices all support AWS LTE. Notice on AT&T's 700 MHz map that they are missing spectrum in massive swaths of the country where they do have AWs spectrum. Those are markets where AWS will be on LTE.

But ultimately the Canadian carriers must have also played a big role in ensuring AWS LTE would be on the devices from day one. Canada has yet to auction off any 700 MHz spectrum at all, and our AWS auction was only a few years ago. The Big 3 companies (Bell, Telus and Rogers) bought a massive amount of that AWS spectrum and are using it for LTE now. Had they been unable to ride AT&T's coattails on LTE devices they'd be up ****'s creek.