Thread: iPhone 5 LTE speeds

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

iPhone 5 LTE speeds

How slow will Sprint get after the LTE iPhone?
    Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums
    Had Unlimited Data on Verizon. Now on 6GB share plan(not a real biggie).

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How slow will Verizon LTE get after the iPhone 5?
    Thrill me...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not that slow, since there are more Verizon LTE towers to handle traffic

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There are a lot more Verizon users to generate the traffic so your 'explanation' doesn't necessarily hold up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesamg View Post
    Not that slow, since there are more Verizon LTE towers to handle traffic

Not at all!

Sprint has BY FAR a higher site density than Verizon. Even though Sprint's channels are 1/2 as wide as Verizon's, I'd expect similar performance when fully loaded.

EDIT: And, as has already been pointed out, VZW has many more users to add load to the network.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    i880 (Voice Calls), Samsung Epic 4G (Data & Text)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Sprint's LTE speeds will stay consistent for quite a while (At least until 2015).

Even though the iPhone 5 only supports LTE in the 1900 band, future sprint devices will have LTE in the 1900 and 2600 Band (Beginning Summer 2013 via Clearwire) and in 2014 we'll see Sprint phones with LTE in 800, 1900, and 2600.

At the higher frequencies, Sprint actually has better capacity than VZW and ATT.
    That is why VZW and ATT are scrambling to find specturm.

And to your given theory that VZW has more towers, last time I checked Sprint & Clearwire have more towers in MANY markets than Verizon

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Personally speaking here. I think that Sprint with this Network Vision going on, Sprint will spank the competition in the long run. Sprint has the most usable spectrum, Then when you add the 800 forget about it. Sprint also has the Spectrum to leave unlimited data, where others dont. Sure thats wonderful that you have such a big coverage area, But if your limited to your data usage whats the point? Maybe Verizon and ATT will leave LTE unlimited....wouldn't hurt there cause. But the fact still remain they both desperatly need more Spectrum.

If you think about it, all these years thats all Sprint is really missing (vague statement there i know) The 800 band for voice and data... Sprint it also adding towers left and right with this Network Vision, just like Verizon. Sure verizon has more capitol to play with to get the ball rolling a little bit quicker. BUT Sprint is basically RE-doing its ENTIRE network....I dont think Verizon has ever done that? Its just pieced together towers they bought from this company and that company.

Also Sure verizon has a conciderably larger network than Sprint, But does that really justify the outrageous prices?!?!? Does it justify the data caps? the throttling? I dont think so.

Device(s)
    Iphone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    All those fast Speeds Verizon Folks get will decrease..

Sent from my PC36100 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by penny665 View Post
    Personally speaking here. I think that Sprint with this Network Vision going on, Sprint will spank the competition in the long run. Sprint has the most usable spectrum, Then when you add the 800 forget about it. Sprint also has the Spectrum to leave unlimited data, where others dont. Sure thats wonderful that you have such a big coverage area, But if your limited to your data usage whats the point? Maybe Verizon and ATT will leave LTE unlimited....wouldn't hurt there cause. But the fact still remain they both desperatly need more Spectrum.

If you think about it, all these years thats all Sprint is really missing (vague statement there i know) The 800 band for voice and data... Sprint it also adding towers left and right with this Network Vision, just like Verizon. Sure verizon has more capitol to play with to get the ball rolling a little bit quicker. BUT Sprint is basically RE-doing its ENTIRE network....I dont think Verizon has ever done that? Its just pieced together towers they bought from this company and that company.

Also Sure verizon has a conciderably larger network than Sprint, But does that really justify the outrageous prices?!?!? Does it justify the data caps? the throttling? I dont think so.
    ATT and Verizon are just fine on spectrum, they just cry wolf. VZW has HUGE amounts of AWS they haven't touched - so why would they need more? ATT is finally getting smart on using its spectrum, but only half so. (If memory serves me, Sprint/Clear combined have the most spectru, but ATT isn't far off in 2nd place, so ATT isn't in some bind)

Also, VZW network is made up of half of Alltel, who had a rock solid network. It was built right from the beginning unlike Sprint who I honestly don't know, they didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to their network. It isn't built out anywhere. Also, network vision is more about condensing and upgrading the network, very little on expansion at this point. I haven't seen huge swaths of new coverage and they are well underway with NV.

Also, regarding LTE speeds, I'm sure they'll be steady for a while. LTE can handle traffic quite well and is fast and efficient. What I'd worry about is Sprint isn't using very common frequencies for their LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Also, network vision is more about condensing and upgrading the network, very little on expansion at this point. I haven't seen huge swaths of new coverage and they are well underway with NV.
    Your right, I don't think your going to see native coverage expanding all that much, especially if your looking for "new" towers.

NV by it's nature will increase coverage and in building penetration just by mounting the radio heads on the antennas. Add to that some voice over 800mhz down the road and things will be much better.

Who cares if they don't want to spend the money on towers in the middle of nowhere or some 1 horse town in the boonies ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNG HOV 718 View Post
    All those fast Speeds Verizon Folks get will decrease..

Sent from my PC36100 using HowardForums
    They get worse everyday. I never saw the crazy speeds posted here online, never above 30mbps and that was in center city Philadelphia. None of this crazy 70mbps stuff even once.

In Delaware or southern NJ, you get what they advertise. Which is more than enough really. The tower that serves my house, when first launched with LTE, would give me over 20mbps. Now I am lucky to get 8 on it. In many cases, once I am down to 1-2 bars of LTE, I am seeing under 5 mbps, which is slower than advertised. The network is going to slow dramatically in southern NJ and Delaware when the iPhone launches I have a feeling.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    30mbps is bad? Wow, this LTE stuff is amazing.

I don't think anything will happen with SPrint. Because they don't cover anyone. How many people do their LTE sites cover? The network is practically nonexistent.

All the iPhone 5 users will be clogging up 3G, but that's already dog slow so no big change. My AT&T 3G is dog slow so for me, it'd be no big change once I can get back to Sprint. I'm one of many, I'm sure, that are going with Sprint cuz they're the best deal. I'll live with the slower speeds cuz I'm not a hardcore user. I just have additional reasons, such as Sprint being the only company that works at my house and work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Never above 30mbps and that was in center city Philadelphia. None of this crazy 70mbps stuff even once.

The tower that serves my house, when first launched with LTE, would give me over 20mbps. Now I am lucky to get 8 on it. In many cases, once I am down to 1-2 bars of LTE, I am seeing under 5 mbps, which is slower than advertised.
    The carriers have done a magnificent job of brainwashing customers with LTE speeds and how important it is to have.

Of course signal strength plays a roll in your speeds but it begs the question of what can't you do on 8Mbps down that you can on 20?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    They get worse everyday. I never saw the crazy speeds posted here online, never above 30mbps and that was in center city Philadelphia. None of this crazy 70mbps stuff even once.

In Delaware or southern NJ, you get what they advertise. Which is more than enough really. The tower that serves my house, when first launched with LTE, would give me over 20mbps. Now I am lucky to get 8 on it. In many cases, once I am down to 1-2 bars of LTE, I am seeing under 5 mbps, which is slower than advertised. The network is going to slow dramatically in southern NJ and Delaware when the iPhone launches I have a feeling.
    True, speeds used to be 20mbps down to 17mbps. Unlimited Data. But ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile are using AWS in the future, that leaves Sprint with the odd LTE radiowave. There are also good and bad things about high and low frequencies.
    Lower, pentetrates easier. Higher means more capacity.
    And slow LTE rollout really will hurt Sprint

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    The carriers have done a magnificent job of brainwashing customers with LTE speeds and how important it is to have.

Of course signal strength plays a roll in your speeds but it begs the question of what can't you do on 8Mbps down that you can on 20?
    Yes, and that brainwashing wasn't only for us thinking these speeds are awesome and needed. It helps them too, because LTE is more efficient than 3g technologies so they get a win-win. They get to shove more people on the same amount of radio waves and they can advertise a new shiny product.