Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S II now on Straight Talk.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S II now on Straight Talk.

Straight Talk now has the S II! I'm pretty sure it's the AT&T S II, since it's running a 1.2GHz CPU(the AT&T I777 is the only US S II with a 1.2GHz).

For $399.99, I'd rather buy an S II on eBay for $250 and a sim card for $15.

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...ionId=18163999
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

Phone
    Samsung SM-N900A
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mischief View Post
    Straight Talk now has the S II! I'm pretty sure it's the AT&T S II, since it's running a 1.2GHz CPU(the AT&T I777 is the only US S II with a 1.2GHz).

I would rather wait for the next Nexus GT-I9260 if and when it comes out. It will be probably less that $399.99. I'm hoping it will come with micro SD slot.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

For $399.99, I'd rather buy an S II on eBay for $250 and a ST sim card for $15.
    Exactly. $399 is ridiculous for a Straight Talk-branded Galaxy SII. Especially a phone that is running 2.3 Gingerbread. Ridiculous.

Plus you can get a PENTABAND Galaxy Nexus (bigger screen with HD resolution, more powerful CPU) for $350. Running 4.1 Jelly Bean.

With pentaband, you can choose AT&T or T-Mobile SIM.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Plus you can get a PENTABAND Galaxy Nexus (bigger screen with HD resolution, more powerful CPU) for $350. With pentaband, you can choose AT&T or T-Mobile SIM.
    Seriously - if your phone costs more than this that you want or you HAVE to have one of the CDMA networks, this is the only phone a person should get at that price point. Access to really any network worldwide and it has beastly specs even almost a year old and it's cheaper than most old and new phones. You get a full warranty too and you'll be first in line to get updates.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

I see more value in getting the nexus from google play for $350 and popping a straight talk sim card in. Straight talk's s2 has android 2.3 whereas the nexus has android 4.1 jellybean which literally flies or as someone already mentioned wait some more months until google comes out with the new version of android and a nexus which will cost around $400.

Still, not bad for $399.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    I would rather wait for the next Nexus GT-I9260 if and when it comes out. It will be probably less that $399.99. I'm hoping it will come with micro SD slot.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to the new Nexus, the current one is a bit outdated in the hardware department. Don't get me wrong though, It's an awesome phone.

Exactly. $399 is ridiculous for a Straight Talk-branded Galaxy SII. Especially a phone that is running 2.3 Gingerbread. Ridiculous.

Plus you can get a PENTABAND Galaxy Nexus (bigger screen with HD resolution, more powerful CPU) for $350. Running 4.1 Jelly Bean.

With pentaband, you can choose AT&T or T-Mobile SIM.
    Android 4.0.3 is out for the S II. Also, the S II's processor is almost twice as fast as the Nexus's.

I've had five Nexii, and I still prefer the international S II. But, to each his own. The fact that the Nexus gets the latest updates is worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Seriously - if your phone costs more than this that you want or you HAVE to have one of the CDMA networks, this is the only phone a person should get at that price point. Access to really any network worldwide and it has beastly specs even almost a year old and it's cheaper than most old and new phones. You get a full warranty too and you'll be first in line to get updates.
    I can only see a small base for this phone. I don't see them selling many. Most people go to Straight Talk for the reasonable pricing. The demographic that spends $45 a month on phone service usually doesn't have $400 to plop down on a phone. It costs almost as much as an entire year of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugatti Veyron View Post
    I see more value in getting the nexus from google play for $350 and popping a straight talk sim card in. Straight talk's s2 has android 2.3 whereas the nexus has android 4.1 jellybean which literally flies or as someone already mentioned wait some more months until google comes out with the new version of android and a nexus which will cost around $400.

Still, not bad for $399.
    As noted above, the S II currently has ICS. Jelly Bean is going to be released before the end if the year. I actually have an AT&T S II(same as this Straight Talk S II), and an international S II.

Battery life is waaay better, but the Nexus beats it almost everywhere else.

Sent from my HTC One S

Carriers
    T-Mobile (Personal)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Don't forget the T-Mobile version of the SII, the T989

Plus there's the option, if one is looking at going with ST for their T-Mobile SIM, to purchase the T-Mobile variant of the SII, the T989, from Walmart for $329 (online only). Unfortunately, you're also forced to purchase a T-Mobile $30 SIM card in that deal, so the phone is only $299 as a component. But it's still a very good deal. The processor is faster than the AT&T variant of the SII and it has a larger screen as well. ICS is already available and 4.1 is rumored to be pending an official release for it (others have already installed CM10). Plus it's capable of 42Mbps HSDPA over the 21Mbps HSDPA on the AT&T version (depending on the coverage in your areas).

I'd probably still go with the Galaxy Nexus over the SII anyway in either version, but it's a good offer for the T989. The negatives of the Nexus remain the lack of a microSD card slot, the lower resolution (5MP) camera and the technically lesser HSDPA (21Mbps) capability, but those are negatives that most can easily deal with.

Phone
    Samsung SM-N900A
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Plus there's the option, if one is looking at going with ST for their T-Mobile SIM, to purchase the T-Mobile variant of the SII, the T989, from Walmart for $329 (online only). Unfortunately, you're also forced to purchase a T-Mobile $30 SIM card in that deal, so the phone is only $299 as a component. But it's still a very good deal. The processor is faster than the AT&T variant of the SII and it has a larger screen as well. ICS is already available and 4.1 is rumored to be pending an official release for it (others have already installed CM10). Plus it's capable of 42Mbps HSDPA over the 21Mbps HSDPA on the AT&T version (depending on the coverage in your areas).

I'd probably still go with the Galaxy Nexus over the SII anyway in either version, but it's a good offer for the T989. The negatives of the Nexus remain the lack of a microSD card slot, the lower resolution (5MP) camera and the technically lesser HSDPA (21Mbps) capability, but those are negatives that most can easily deal with.
    Looks like the price has dropped to $349.99. I still would not buy it. The T-Mobile variant T989 has 4.52 screen. Why the concern about lesser HSPDA, you know you're never gonna come close to that download on ST. There are some rumor that the next Galaxy Nexus will have micro sd slot and supposedly codenamed GT-I9260. Correctly stated, most demographics of ST's subscriber are not hipster and $600.00 - $700.00 phones are out of the question for most. Me being in the minority groups sometimes swaps phone more often than changing socks. The money save from being a subscriber to AT&T goes for these high tech devices.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Android 4.0.3 is out for the S II.

Also, the S II's processor is almost twice as fast as the Nexus's.

TOTALLY FALSE. I hate people who post lies.

Go check the specs. ST is getting the AT&T SII which is listed as 1.2GHz, and while the Galaxy Nexus is also 1.2GHz, it's a a better, faster chip[/B]. So, it sort of the OPPOSITE of what you said.

TO REPEAT: The SII's CPU is not faster than the Nexus, much less "twice as fast". What rubbish. Galaxy Nexus is FASTER -- especially on 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Oh, here's a speed test with both the SII and Nexus running 4.0 ICS. (Remem, the ST SII will come with 2.3 while the Nexus now has 4.1.)

ST is releasing the SII with Android 2.3, not ICS. Also listed in the specs. There's no guarantee if or when ST SII will get 4.0 ICS. The Nexus has 4.1 Jelly Bean NOW.

________

Plus the Nexus has a larger screen, and is HD resolution (720p) while the SII is not. There's really no comparison.

Now, the T-Mobile version of the SII has a faster CPU @ 1.5GHz. But ST is getting the AT&T version.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-24-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post

I'm pretty sure the AT&T S II is faster. It has an Exynos processor, while the TMobile S II has a Snapdragon S3.

Quadrant scores should always be taken with large grains of salt, however the AT&T S II has always scored 600 points higher. 4000 vs 3400.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure the AT&T S II is faster.
    And you are definitely WRONG. The Galaxy Nexus is a faster than the AT&T SII, even with both running 4.0 ICS. They both have 1.2 GHz CPUs, but different types of chips. (I actually have my Nexus overclocked to 1.5GHz and will go up to 1.8GHz, but that's a different discussion...)

However, the ST SII will come with 2.3 Gingerbread. while the Nexus now comes with 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Plus, the Nexus has larger screen (4.65" vs SII 4.3"), and HD resolution (720p vs SII 480p).

The T-Mobile version of the SII has a faster CPU (1.5 GHz) and a larger screen (4.52"). But, ST is getting the AT&T version. If you can get the T-Mobile version, while it's still SD 480p resolution, the other advantages start making it more of a horse race: faster CPU, larger screen, better camera, and unlocked it will take both AT&T and T-Mobile HSPA+...

Especially if you can get the T-Mobile version for LESS than $350, unlock it and stick in your choice of Straight Talk sim card.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-24-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Carrier
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    Hey Chaz,
    In researching the Nexus on various sites, they report no memory card slot.
    Would you confirm or deny this please?
    For me, it would be a deal breaker.
    Thanks

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougeeebear View Post
    Hey Chaz,
    In researching the Nexus on various sites, they report no memory card slot.
    Would you confirm or deny this please?
    For me, it would be a deal breaker.
    Thanks
    That is correct. The SD card is "internal" and is 16GB. You have to be satisfied with what is built into the device. I've had it since July and I'm OK. Plus there's always dropbox and google drive.

Carrier
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    That is correct. The SD card is "internal" and is 16GB. You have to be satisfied with what is built into the device. I've had it since July and I'm OK. Plus there's always dropbox and google drive.
    That's all I needed to know.
    Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougeeebear View Post
    That's all I needed to know.
    Thanks, I appreciate the info.
    If that is a deal breaker, then look into the $299 T-Mobile SII. It's much better than the AT&T/Straight Talk SII.

• larger screen - 4.52" vs 4.3" (still SD 480p rez)
    • faster CPU - 1.5GHz vs 1.2 GHz (some of the speed tests you find on the internet are really the T-Mobile SII)
    • quad band -- unlocked (which is easy) will carry both AT&T and T-Mobile HSPA+

You can buy it at Wal-mart for $299 + $30 useless $30 pre-paid T-Mobile card. Still, at $329, a BETTER deal than the $349 ST-branded SII. you can unlock it (easy unlock process), and take it to ANY AT&T or T-Mobile MNVO.

SGH-T989
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-P...-Card/21631986

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast