Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score

More Androids coming to Straight Talk

4 more Android phones appear to be heading to Straight Talk. The Samsung S730G appears to be running ICS and the Huawei H866C is a version of the Mercury that Cricket has.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    are these cmda or gsm phones

Feedback Score
    Look under the pics. If the model number has a C after it, CDMA. If it has a G, GSM.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    like the s730g gonna check into it some more.

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    If the H866C is the same as the Mercury it could be a decent phone. But Cricket is Sprint, right? So it's not going to be a decent phone on Verizon. Boooooo.

Here's the manual for the H866C and the M866 (Cricket's phone): http://www.jollyandroid.com/html/hua...er-manual.html

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sweeper View Post
    4 more Android phones appear to be heading to Straight Talk. The Samsung S730G appears to be running ICS and the Huawei H866C is a version of the Mercury that Cricket has.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanMN View Post
    Look under the pics. If the model number has a C after it, CDMA. If it has a G, GSM.
    You can ignore the ones with the "G".

Every AT&T or T-mobile compatible Android phone in the entire world has been on Straight Talk since last February.

You buy the AT&T/T-mobile compatible sim card phone you want, from anywhere you want, and it will run on Straight Talk. You can even choose WHICH GSM network you want it to run on, AT&T or T-Mobile. Depends on your preference or sometimes the phone's technical specs. In the case of pentaband sim card phones, there's no limitation -- just your preference. It's called they BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) plan through Straight Talk at www.StraightTalkSIM.com

SO, from that point (8 months ago), the only really "new" phones coming to Straight Talk from now on will be CDMA phones -- those running on Sprint or Verizon network.

Any sim card phones, like the "OLD" Galaxy SII, the newer Galaxy Nexus, or even the kick-butt Galaxy SIII are ALREADY on Straight Talk and there's no need to buy Straight Talk's overpriced, branded phones any more. You can get phones like the Galaxy SII CHEAPER yourself, and put in a Straight Talk sim card -- rather than buying a Straight Talk-branded Galaxy SII for $400.

With a pentaband sim card phone you can choose HSPA+ speeds on either AT&T or T-mobile. No more asking, "Does this phone run on AT&T or T-mobile?" DOES NOT MATTER, because YOU decide which network it runs on! Freedom.

If you need or prefer Sprint/Verizon CDMA phone, then yes you have to depend on the whims of the Straight Talk corporation as to what "new" phones (which have usually been out with the major carriers for a year or two) they will put into their supply chain.

That's the reason I came to Straight Talk from the "closed universe" of MetroPCS. I could have the phone I wanted NOW, not having to wait on the carrier to decide what recycled phones to sell to captive customers and at what price.

Quote Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
    If the H866C is the same as the Mercury it could be a decent phone. But Cricket is Sprint, right? So it's not going to be a decent phone on Verizon. Boooooo.

Cricket is Sprint in non-Cricket markets. But Cricket is Cricket in Cricket home markets. They have their own network and towers in their markets. Cricket is a hybrid: facilities carrier like MetroPCS in certain areas and then an MVNO for Sprint the rest of the country.

For instance in Phillie, they have their own facilities, own their own spectrum.

So, depends on where you live.

Having said that, many identical Androids end up on both Verizon and Sprint, just under different names: LG Optimus S (Sprint) and LG Vortex (Verizon) were the same phone. If this recycled phone was only on Cricket... then yes it will probably be Sprint network coverage. But if a version was also on Verizon, then we don't know.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 09-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    OK thanks for the clarification. Where I live (central Illinois) and where I go most often (St. Louis, MO; Wisconsin; Indiana), Cricket appears to have Sprint's coverage map.

And the coverage isn't the issue; it's Sprint's 3G network. On Virgin Mobile I frequently got "full bars", had great voice and text coverage, but data was non-existent or incredibly slow.

Carrier
    Whoever's the cheapest at the moment
    Feedback Score
    The funny thing about Cricket is that they have their own native network, but you can roam seamlessly onto Sprint coverage. Cricket IS pretty much Sprint in this sense, but they'll boot you if you use more than half of your usage outside of their native network (probably not, though).

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't say anything on their site about whehter I'm in native or not, but it's OK. I'll just keep waiting for ST/Verizon devices with at least 840x480 displays. Probably won't happen until Verizon has such a device on their prepaid network. RIght now all they have is the Illusion, which is why ST got the Proclaim. Same phone basically.

Feedback Score
    Can I get a Verizon based android on StraightTalk? I want the coverage of Verizon, the price of StraightTalk, and Android OS.

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    That's what the Galaxy Proclaim and Optimus Zip are. They'd both be perfect to me, other than the screen resolution.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    hey chaz i guess there is no markit out there for the ones that wants an android phone on att/st but not the hassel of setting.out of the box and go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
    That's what the Galaxy Proclaim and Optimus Zip are. They'd both be perfect to me, other than the screen resolution.
    Can these phones run Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.x)? Are any of the Verizon phones comparable hardware-wise to a high-end android such as Samsung Galaxy S II/III or HTC Sensation on things like memory, processor speed, screen size/resolution, camera resolution, etc?

Are there any other Verizon androids I can bring as BYOD that are not sold directly by StraightTalk?

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    There are, to my knowledge, no Verizon-compatible ST phones with ICS or even ICS ROMs.

They're certainly capable - the hardware specs are there for it. The Optimus Zip's GSM cousin (T-Mobile MyTouch Q) has an unofficial Cyanogenmod 9 port. But so far nobody's tackled these two phones or their Verizon counterparts. Not that I can find anyway.

I'm a little surprised, honestly.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    hey chaz i guess there is no markit out there for the ones that wants an android phone on att/st but not the hassel of setting.out of the box and go.
    On the contrary. 99% of the AT&T/T-Mobile compatible Android phones will work out of the box and go with a Straight Talk sim. You can have the newest, fastest Android phones NOW -- not last year's model with jacked up price.

I'm trying to help people see they can have BETTER phones than Straight Talk wants them to have. They are no longer captive.

OK, to be fair to Straight Talk, most MNVOs CANNOT sell as good as or better phones than the carrier on which they run. Verizon has shut down a lot of the nice phones Page Plus had. AT&T has to approve the phones ST sells. So, you get the bargain basement phones that were really new a year or two ago. And you have no choice. Or you HAD no choice. NOW you do. ST now sells sims and you Bring Your Own Phone. That is the loophole to get around AT&T's control freak impulses. ST is just providing the sim, not selling you the FANTASTIC phone.

So, you can either stay in GSM captivity and scrounge after the crumbs the big boys let the MNVOs have, or you can go buy your own phone (like the pentaband, 4.1 Jelly Bean Galaxy Nexus) elsewhere and just use a ST sim. Don't actually buy your phones from ST -- unless you want leftovers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast