Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint iPhone to use nano sim

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score

Sprint iPhone to use nano sim

Anyone know if the sprint version will use a nano sim like the others or will it be imbedded like in the other LTE devices they currently offer?
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by money69 View Post
    Anyone know if the sprint version will use a nano sim like the others or will it be imbedded like in the other LTE devices they currently offer?
    From what I've read all carrier versions of the iPhone 5 will have removable nano sims.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    From what I've read all carrier versions of the iPhone 5 will have removable nano sims.
    This makes sense since the iPhone 4S also comes with a SIM slot. There is no carrier specific version of the 4S though from the specs posted for the iPhone 5 there are different version depending the LTE bands to be supported.

For Sprint, the SIM tray is useless unless you are roaming in a country without CDMA service. In that case, the Sprint provided SIM, assuming it was activated, is used. If you go to Canada, where I travel to see family, you roam on one of the CDMA carriers so the SIM is not used there either. I myself pop in a Rogers SIM and run on their UMTS network thus disabling the CDMA radio.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jtx View Post
    This makes sense since the iPhone 4S also comes with a SIM slot. There is no carrier specific version of the 4S though from the specs posted for the iPhone 5 there are different version depending the LTE bands to be supported.
    I'll be curious if this gets Sprint to open up the SIM slot on their other LTE devices... In addition to international roaming, the Sprint SIM in their LTE phones is also used for domestic LTE access (just like Verizon devices).

I can only think of 2 reasons of why they locked down the SIM slot:

1. Verizon had a number of issues with authentication freezing up on parts of their network when a user would swap their LTE SIM into a different Verizon LTE device than the one it was activated on. Since LTE uses the IMEI from the SIM, and CDMA uses the baked-in ESN, this can cause a mis-match There's a small baked-in utility on the SIM called "C-SIM" that is supposed to automatically update the CDMA side of things when the SIM gets moved around, but apparently this doesn't always work 100% of the time.

Either Sprint didn't want to mess with this possibility, they have not opted to have the C-SIM app on their SIMs because/or their network just doesn't support the app yet so wouldn't move the CDMA authentication correctly when the SIM was moved anyway.

or 2. Without the Sprint provided SIM, you no longer can access the LTE network and they didn't want to deal with the CS issues at this time with people popping in unlocked SIMs and calling to complain about why they no longer have 4G service. Verizon I'm sure deals with this too, but maybe Sprint just didn't want to tax their CS with one more thing?

Or a combination of both?

--Nat

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Verizon LTE devices do store the CDMA subscriber info on the SIM as well as the LTE info. So when you swap Verizon SIMs, the phone number goes with the SIM. This is unlike previous "world phones" (such as the 4S) where the SIM only stored GSM/HSPA info for roaming and the internal ESN was what identified you on the network. It is reasonable to assume Verizon's iPhone 5, too, stores the CDMA identity on the SIM.

Seeing as Apple was unwilling to release different hardware for Sprint, I would bet the same applies to Sprint's iPhone too - your CDMA identity comes along with the SIM. If you want to be sure, find a buddy with a fellow Sprint iPhone and swap. What happens?

For that matter, the VZW iPhone has the SIM slot unlocked... find a VZW buddy and try your Sprint SIM in theirs. Does it work?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have two sprint iPhone 5s and did just this today. When you remove the SIM you lose all service and get a "no sim" message just like GSM versions.

When I swapped sims LTE worked like normal on both phones but they both retained the same phone numbers they were activated with.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    On Sprint and Verizon 4S's, the SIM's are odd. They can either be installed or removed with no loss of service. Placing a GSM SIM into the phone will cause it to switch to GSM mode. I decoded my Sprint SIM's ICCID number at http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=simnr and get a really weird return shown below (Nextel actually makes sense since Sprint owns them). When I enter my sister's VZW SIM, I get back just Vodaphone. Testing either a Rogers Wireless or T-Mobile SIM returns single carrier information too:

Network name
    Operator name MCI
    Country or global network United States
    MCC-MNC 310-010

Network name Nextel
    Operator name Nextel Communications Inc.
    MCC-MNC 316-010

Network name Digicel Bermuda
    Operator name Telecommunications (Bermuda & West Indies) Ltd
    Country or global network Bermuda
    MCC-MNC 350-01

Network name Cingular Wireless
    Operator name Wireless Ventures Saint Vincent Ltd
    Country or global network Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    MCC-MNC 360-010

Network name Weblinks
    Operator name Weblinks Ltd
    Country or global network Anguilla
    MCC-MNC 365-010

Network name ORANGE
    Operator name Orange Dominicana S.A.
    Country or global network Dominican Republic
    MCC-MNC 370-01

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, as noted above the 4S CDMA is a non LTE world phone, so the SIM carries no subscriber info for CDMA. This is apparently not the case for the CDMA LTE iPhone 5.

GusHerb94, interesting to know. Were you able to verify that the phones were actually receiving calls and texts at the numbers they were originally activated on before the swap? And they have to be real texts, not iMessages, because sometimes Apple gets confused and delivers an iMessage to a device that used to have a certain phone number.

I guess someone has to test this with Verizon iPhones 5 as well :-)

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If someone has 2 Iphone 5s on Verizon, please check and see if the numbers move when you swap the SIM--otherwise if the Sprint phones didnt move numbers with the SIM we may have our answer re: built in SIMs. Wouldnt that have something to do with the CSIM app?

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Also I ran my ICCID number at the site above and got this--IIRC Choice Wireless is Comnet?!? I wonder if Sprint is leasing blocks of SIM numbers--I figured they'd just use Nextel numbrered SIMs and take over their SID once it was shut down...

Information on SIM card number

Network name Choice
    Operator name Choice Wireless L.C. (former AmeriLink)
    MCC-MNC 310-120

Network name
    Operator name Choice Phone LLC
    MCC-MNC 311-120

Network name TSTT
    Operator name Telcommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Ltd
    Country or global network Trinidad and Tobago
    MCC-MNC 374-12

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I think on XDA someone already reported success putting their VZW iPhone 5 SIM into a micro converter and swapping it into a Galaxy S3.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Yes, as noted above the 4S CDMA is a non LTE world phone, so the SIM carries no subscriber info for CDMA. This is apparently not the case for the CDMA LTE iPhone 5.

GusHerb94, interesting to know. Were you able to verify that the phones were actually receiving calls and texts at the numbers they were originally activated on before the swap? And they have to be real texts, not iMessages, because sometimes Apple gets confused and delivers an iMessage to a device that used to have a certain phone number.

I guess someone has to test this with Verizon iPhones 5 as well :-)
    I didn't get a chance to text one another but I did call the landline from those phones and then called into those phones and they definitely were using the same number despite having SIMS swapped.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On a Verizon phone the built in ESN/MEID is NOT used. The SIM card serial number is used to create a MEID for CDMA. Nothing about the phone is used to authenticate on CDMA networks. It uses CSIM for CDMA auth and USIM for LTE auth.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The sim is for LTE isn't it? Its just locked though, unlike Verizon's iPhone 5(They were forced to because of the 700Mhz band for LTE agreement). There is only 2 iPhone 5. The CDMA A1429(Verizon and Sprint) model is the same as GSM A1429, but the software is different depending if you are on a CDMA or GSM carrier. A1428 is the AT&T only model, and it supports the AT&T bands for LTE. Technically CDMA/GSM A1429 is more global in LTE terms(that's if you can get it unlocked), because you can use those bands almost everywhere else, unless you're in Canada where you would use the AT&T model. But atleast they have built in 42mbps HSPA+.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am curious if anyone is able to take an active Sprint nano SIM and put it into an unlocked iPhone 5 and get it to work on Sprint's service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast