Thread: Sprint only nabs 8% of presale orders

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Sprint only nabs 8% of presale orders

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...on-east-coast/

Doesn't sound like a lot, but then again, Sprint is distantly the 3rd place carrier. What I'm wondering is if this 8% is enough to cover that multibillion dollar commitment Hesse made to Apple.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Lets base the numbers off the pre-order until we get official numbers or iPhone's bought in a month.
    So Apple had 2million iPhone's pre-ordered in 24 hours.
    "~" means around or approximate
    AT&T estimation(68% of iPhone's):~1,360,000
    Verizon estimation(24% of iPhone's):~480,000
    Sprint estimation(8% of iPhone's):~160,000
    This is based of my calculations and the 2million iPhone's sold. Percentages are based off pie-charts from ComScore iP5 pre-order analysis. Hopefully calculations are correct.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Analysts had measured they are ahead of pace with these previous quarterly numbers.

Sprint iPhone launched Oct. 14th 2011

Q2 2012 - 1.5 million sold

Q1 2012 - 1.5 million sold

Q4 2011 - 1.8 million sold

Quote Originally Posted by gambit57 View Post
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...on-east-coast/

Doesn't sound like a lot, but then again, Sprint is distantly the 3rd place carrier. What I'm wondering is if this 8% is enough to cover that multibillion dollar commitment Hesse made to Apple.
    That's according to Comscore, not actual sales numbers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure most those that wanted an iPhone on Sprint had already bought the 4 series and none of them were eligible for an upgrade.

AT&T has had and always will have the Lions share of iPhones on its network.

Sent from my Atrix2 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    8%? They control more of the wireless market than that... so that isn't a good number to have.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well as Ducati already mentioned, this is just Comscore's guesstimate. The article would have more teeth if it mentioned how Comscore's estimates have historically compared with actual sales figures. Moreover, the way this article reads, this only takes into account pre-orders taken through Apple. Comscore doesn't appear to factor in pre-orders directly through Sprint and it's webste or sales on 9/21 at Sprint stores and other retailers. I think they're gonna be ok.
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    HTC Evo/Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Interestingly, all iPhone 5 are sold out at Sprint stores in Los Angeles. Apple did have the Sprint version in stock earlier today.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Analysts had measured they are ahead of pace with these previous quarterly numbers.

Sprint iPhone launched Oct. 14th 2011

Q2 2012 - 1.5 million sold

Q1 2012 - 1.5 million sold

Q4 2011 - 1.8 million sold

That's according to Comscore, not actual sales numbers.

Im talking about the preorder sales for the first day, not the quarter. Since they sold 2mill in a day for first day preorder.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thematch View Post
    Interestingly, all iPhone 5 are sold out at Sprint stores in Los Angeles. Apple did have the Sprint version in stock earlier today.
    CNet is also reporting scarce or no availability on the east coast.

Sent from my Atrix2 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesamg View Post
    Im talking about the preorder sales for the first day, not the quarter. Since they sold 2mill in a day for first day preorder.
    I quoted/responded to the OP, not you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    I'm sure most those that wanted an iPhone on Sprint had already bought the 4 series and none of them were eligible for an upgrade.
    That's a good point. Anyone who bought one using their discount eligibility on or after October 14, 2011 (the first day the iphone 4 was available on Sprint), would still not be eligible for an upgrade. So that leaves mainly customers switching from Android or other phones and new customers as the main buyers for the iPhone 5.
    Sprint user since 1997

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Anyone who "did their homework" and tried both the Verizon and Sprint iPhone 5's would choose Verizon (and probably AT&T HSPA) in a heartbeat. I did try myself and Verizon's 4G LTE on the iPhone 5 screams in comparison to Sprint's pathetic 3G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
    That's a good point. Anyone who bought one using their discount eligibility on or after October 14, 2011 (the first day the iphone 4 was available on Sprint), would still not be eligible for an upgrade. So that leaves mainly customers switching from Android or other phones and new customers as the main buyers for the iPhone 5.
    Similarly....many AT&T folks are still on the limited-unlimited data plans (like me) which are capped, but not charged for overages. I think some of those articles are now starting to state that we're reaching saturation in the market (~300 million devices in a country of a bit over 300 million!)
    http://www.4gamericas.org/index.cfm?...ge&pageid=2043
    Soon enough - people may end up on Sprint due to cost of using VZW/AT&T, as their prices have gone up, and data allowance has gone down.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Anyone who "did their homework" and tried both the Verizon and Sprint iPhone 5's would choose Verizon (and probably AT&T HSPA) in a heartbeat. I did try myself and Verizon's 4G LTE on the iPhone 5 screams in comparison to Sprint's pathetic 3G.
    Congrats. Odd comparison though. I'm sure that Verizon's 4G LTE on the iPhone 5 screams in comparison to Verizon's 3G as well. Is the underlying point that you're trying make that Sprint's 4G LTE hasn't yet made it to your locale?

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    Congrats. Odd comparison though. I'm sure that Verizon's 4G LTE on the iPhone 5 screams in comparison to Verizon's 3G as well. Is the underlying point that you're trying make that Sprint's 4G LTE hasn't yet made it to your locale?
    yes, true, but not just *my* locale, but *most* locales. The underlying point of course is that Sprint's current meager LTE deployment certainly would have a significant impact on iphone 5 sales, for those doing comparison shopping -- the media is saying this as well. So in searching for reasons why Sprint only captures 8% of the national uptake on the iPhone 5, it wouldn't be surprising at all if, for those that care about data speeds and did test trials, that 92% would not choose Sprint.

Hopefully it will be different soon, but out of 100 people nationwide, if only 8 say they got decent and COMPETITIVE speeds with Sprint, that would not be surprising at all...

just a guess, but you don't have good Sprint LTE service in *your* locale, do you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast