Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The New Tracfone LG 840G is touchscreen with wi-fi

Feedback Score
    Tracfone ruined this phone. Any other provider it would be ok.

Purple menus? Still? It looks silly. Also can't send long text as mms so they nail you for .60 on a long text. Also their mobile web stores everything you type and won't let you delete it. I didn't believe it until I actually tried it. I typed in some urls to pages that contain access to personal and sensitive data and they logged it and stored it with no way to delete it. They won't let you even get to it. Seems like everything you can use the actual keyboard for gets stored in the providers software database or list or whatever it is. Don't know if it logs your keystrokes with email in the app or not but no way of telling since there is no way to access a menu to look. I'll pass on this phone. There's no way a software should be able to do that.

With their type of service and programming they should stay away from modern phones. There's no sense in having one if they lock the simple stuff down.

The widgets are a good idea but they seem to just give you a bunch of clocks. There's three or four and nothing else decent with no way to add. You're supposed to be able to scroll up and down on the frst home screen to cycle between widgets but what the heck sense does it make to ruin a really neat function of the phone if all you do is give us a bunch of dumb clocks to cycle through. These new phones are way better than the kindergarten stuff down in the widget holder that they keep repeating. Think of something better, please. I know high schoolers who can scribble up something better in an hour or two. You're not even trying to come up to standard with these new phones but just keep on putting the same old lame stuff in wherever spot you want to snuggle up in just to screw up the phones best features. Still have that stupid "Home" text smack in the middle of every screen too. And can we change the pink calendar? What's with all of the pink? Even my end button for ending calls is pink. It's dumb. How about changing the purple theme? There has to be more than one theme on this phone, don't know why they block the basic things people look for.

Had this phone not even a day and it's going back. It's like they want to cripple a perfectly nice and functional phone down to the level of a c139. Don't waste your money is my opinion on it.

Purple menu. Phht. What little bit of menu you can get to I should say.

Oh, and it would be nice to be able to turn the darn sounds off that it makes when you turn it off and on and could change the voicemail ringer. The default one sounds dumb and you can't change it. Can't even find it in the menu so that's locked too apparently.

I sometimes think they do this silly stuff just to get on your nerves. Their very existence in these new phones impedes them in accessing their full function in every practical sense.

Also, you can't get rid of any virtual keypad with apps. Including Opera Mini. I'm sure the phone itself can if can but the provider probably blocks that too. No way to do it in the menu at all and shouldn't have to add lines to the jad just to get around the providers programming. Would you think maybe they would add some cities to the second city besides the 5 or six in the U.S. that they actually do have? Is it that hard to add a few? Those graphics and silly ringtones can't be so important that we can't take the time to add a couple of cities to the list. Heck, the first city doesn't even come close to my location. Also, no need for a buy graphics link in my picture folder or a buy ringtones link in my music folder. You can access that elsewhere in the "mobile Web".

My opinion, they can keep this phone. They ruined it.

Verizon, here I come. If nothing else then at least they'll not lock me out of changing my background pictures on my menu screens and lock screens. I mean it is my phone, isn't it? To have that stupid looking purple background the whole time while flipping through menu screens drives me nuts and there is no reason whatsoever we shouldn't be able to change it.

Sorry for the rant, people. I don't post here that much and have had the same phone for a long time and have been waiting for tracfone to provide a modern phone. When this one came along I bought it but as modern as it is it's the provider that sends it right back to the caveman era. Complete with purple walls in the cave, btw and they certainly make sure you know what time it is with all their clocks messing up the widget feature.

That's it for me. Time to say goodbye to tracfone. The wait was well worth the lesson learned. It's like owning a fully loaded glossy black porche with all of the bells and whistles except the keys are hidden and you're left with pulling it down the road with a mule. With a purple saddle and pink horse shoes to boot. It's been fun, tracfone.
    Last edited by repodmyusb; 11-06-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You do realize tracfone is the "yugo" of cell phone providers not cadillac. Its meant to be cheap and practical not luxurious with all the bells and whistles. That said net10 and straight talk are better options if you want those bells and whistles but you go ahead pay big red 70 bucks a month for a dumb phone and a whopping 300mb of data. Yes you can get it for 50 a month pay go for the text and data but at 1.99$ a mb and .20 per text let me know how much cheaper than net or straight talk that comes out to. If you go prepaid with verizon its still 50 bucks a month for a dumbphone. You are not going to find cheaper service than American Movil's offerings you just need to do properly choose which one better suits your needs and obviously tracfone isn't fitting it.

Feedback Score
    Yes. I've been a tracfone customer for a lot of years so I know perfectly well what tracfone is. Probably way longer than many here. Besides, I'm already paying big red for the rest of the family's iphones and the like so I'm to the point that I know that they will never improve to meet the function of the next model of phone. There is no reason to not let people change the way the phone looks. I mean, purple and pink? That's dumb. All of those clocks in the widget holder? For what? Just to screw up the practicality of the means to shuffle through widgets?

Regardless of that there is no amount of money that entitles a software to log and store personal data on a device without any say so or input from the end user to say otherwise. It does do that. If you go back and tap the enter url tab it has everything you have ever typed into the thing with no way to get to it and delete it. Just because it's cheap shouldn't excuse the control of the end users data and then remove the ability to access that data that they store in order to delete it based upon the fact that they're cheap and you should expect to not be able to get into menus. Well, that's a very important menu to be locked out of wouldn't you say? Nope. No way. Folks should consider that if they are to use the www with a browser on a phone. There is no reason whatsoever any provider should be be to log and store data from typed urls to personal information in a separate area of a device, assume ownership of the data by means of locking you out of it and then not let you get to it to delete it regardless of how cheap they are and think folks should expect to be locked out of accessing menus. Think about that. Is it OK for a software to have such a privilege just because it's cheap? Is it ok for a software to just assume that it can do that without question? I don't think so. That's screwy.

That's the main thing that turned me off before I even got to the purple stuff and the bunch of clocks messing up the widget function of the phone.

But, yes. I do know tracfone is a "yugo". Doesn't mean it's software should get to grant itself control of sensitive data by default because of that though if that's the case. Poor people are always the ones who get their constitution peed on in that regard.

Nope. I'll pay big red. My data and it's privacy are valuable to me. I don't really have enough concern to even discuss it any further. I very rarely post here but this phone just ticked me off. I expected more. Actually, the phone itsel is nice. It's the anchor at the other end of it that is the downer.

Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is on the way .
    Last edited by repodmyusb; 11-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by repodmyusb View Post
    Regardless of that there is no amount of money that entitles a software to log and store personal data. It does do that. If you go back and tap the enter url tab it has everything you have ever tyoped into the thing with no way to get to it and delete it.
    Well, lets see. Opera does that, Firefox does that, Microsoft does it too.

All by default, and where you can turn it off, it is usually buried 3+ levels deep in the settings dialogs.
    And as far as I know all cell phone browsers are the same way. Check the LG500G, LG800G, S390G, T404G, etc. Even the browser on my Android tablet saves addresses.

And I'll bet if you dig in the menus you'll find a way to erase that data. On the S390G there's an option to clear the browser caches, which erases the URL form the "Enter URL" menu. Then in the history list, there's an option to erase an entry (or all). Also cookie settings and clearing, even erase session data.

Oh, and I'll bet TF didn't write the software. They added a few specs and had the OEM modify the existing code. The LG840G probably uses the same code based as other similar LG touchscreens, which is in turn based on the non-touch phones. I'm sure the LG800G and LG500G shares a lot of code based on their similarities.

The browser you so dislike was written by yet another party to LG specs. Check the UA string from the browser and see. (I know the S390G browser was written by NetFront. Not TF. Not Samsung)

Feedback Score
    Nope. Not on this phone. You can clean out everything you want. Cache, cookies, session, the whole nine yards. It's a separate cach/list that you cannot access.

I write software. So I know how the cookie crumbles. Besides. It's a great browser. Browser isn't the issue. The phone has a native browser in it's operating system. That cache you can clean. The problem seems that the tracfone icon isn't really a browser at all but a shortcut icon that kind of just piggybacks on the native interface. So, therein may lie the back door for the shortcut to keep it's own read only history.

It's not so much the url's that causes alarm but what if you type information into a form. Then what? You can clean out the native browser but tracfones software still keeps that data? Don't know seeing as they lock you out of finding out. But it's obvious it's logging what you type with the keyboard. And that's the extent that it will let you see.

I don't think you see the issue as it is. Do you even have the phone? It's not comparable to any other tracfone. None. The caching system is like driving a car with two steering wheels. Or in this case the Black porche and the mule with the purple saddle and the pink shoes making silly sounds.

Whatever though. I'm done with it and have a new phone on the way. Folks should look under the hood in a manner better than they think they should though before filling out forms or stuff like that. Just my own opinion. At least until it's understood why you can clean out the native browsers history and data but not the history that whatever other software is keeping.

If you just want to access the web for youtube and that kind of stuff then probably less of a motivation to be concerned, I guess.
    Last edited by repodmyusb; 11-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by repodmyusb View Post
    I don't think you see the issue as it is. Do you even have the phone? It's not comparable to any other tracfone.
    Nope. As clearly shown in my posts, I have a S390G and had a LG500G.
    I'm not a fan of touchscreen phones, and I'm not spending money on one "for fun."

Just basing it on past experience and other observations.
    You give TF too much credit (in regard to the software) and rather nefarious motives too boot.
    They is a lot that's bot accessible on the phones, like the wi-fi storage on my S390G. You can only delete an SSID if you are in range. Otherwise, you wait til the list is full, then it asks you to delete some.

But, if it's such a concern, use a different browser. The alternatives are far better anyway.

Oh, and I'd never use a phone for anything sensitive online.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I think this thread is a lost cause. You think tracfone is the only one recording key strokes and web useage information ?

Sent from my HTC One X using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapfone View Post
    I think this thread is a lost cause. You think tracfone is the only one recording key strokes and web useage information ?

Sent from my HTC One X using HowardForums
    What I think is that at the very least the end user should have access to delete it.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I understand your problems, but you need to let TF know. We can't do anything about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoonie4howard View Post
    I understand your problems, but you need to let TF know. We can't do anything about it.
    Well. No. I don't think you do understand. It's not "my" problem per se but everyone who has this device. And I did call them. That's how it's supposed to work it seems. Not asking anyone here to do anything about it but simply making the issue itself known.
    Last edited by repodmyusb; 11-13-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Feedback Score
    this phone is awesome..the best i have ever owned..love the wifi and touch screen, beats the lg800 hands down........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bej0101 View Post
    this phone is awesome..the best i have ever owned..love the wifi and touch screen, beats the lg800 hands down........
    Glad to hear that; waiting for HSN to ship mine!

Feedback Score
    Another newbie question. I have an LG840g ordered. Will the WiFi part work off my home internet router like my wife's laptop uses? I assume so. The HSN deal at $120 is still a good deal. I wonder if they give you the phone and a standard TF fill card for 400 minutes plus a promo code?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Will the WiFi part work off my home internet router like my wife's laptop uses?
    Yes

I wonder if they give you the phone and a standard TF fill card for 400 minutes plus a promo code?
    No. Normally after you activate the phone with TracFone you call an HSN number and enter the phone's number and your order number and they add the minutes to your phone.

You can add the minutes to any TF (just give them the correct phone number) but all the minutes form that order must go to the same phone.

If you order multiple phones, HSN splits them into separate orders.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The HSN LG 800G bundle with 600 minutes and 365 days went this way:
    -Activated online with Tracfone and the phone received 20 minutes, TMFL and 365 days within 10 minutes.
    -Called the second number (simplewireless - division of Tracfone) and followed the automated prompts. Within one hour I received the 600 minutes and 90 days (also received a Tracfone text stating 200 minutes, 400 bonus, 90 days added). I had called simple wireless to ask about using a promo code and was told no, only the automated system could be used, with no way to enter a promo code.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast