Thread: iphone 4 with net10 or straightalk

Feedback Score

iphone 4 with net10 or straightalk

I would like to activate an iphone 4 (ATT) with either net10 or straightalk. I currently use net10 with a net10 phone.

I would like to stay with net10 but am wondering if there is any advantage to switching to straighttalk? Are their services with the SIM program identical?

Price seems the same if I "autopay" with net10, otherwise net10 is $5 more/month.

Is there anything else I should know about the SIM program with the iphone?

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I've got an iPhone 4S with an AT&T compatible Straight Talk SIM. It runs on AT&T's network and the iPhone acts just like it would if it had an AT&T SIM. The only was you can tell it's on ST is that the carrier field says "HOME". Talk and text work as soon as the SIM is inserted. Data requires a custom APN profile which you can get from http://unlock.co.nz MMS needs either a jailbreak or a non-AT&T SIM to access the APN settings on the phone. Search for "iPhone Tmobile MMS Sim Swap".
    Straight Talk unlimited everything plan for $45

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I am going with Net10 since I use them now. I searched for the "Tmobile MMS Sim Swap" and am confused. Will this work with Net10 or is it only for ST? The phone I will use is an AT&T iphone 4. I ordered the SIMs from Best Buy and should be able to set this up towards the end of the week. What will I have to do in order to get MMS to work? From what I read elsewhere online I would need to "jailbreak" the phone. Please help. Do I really need to "jailbreak" or is there another way?

Feedback Score
    Jumping in to this thread as a complete ignoramus on this topic. Is there a link to a step-by-step tutorial on how to use an iPhone on one of these services? is it worth doing? I didn't even know it was possible ( see ignoramus reference).

Thanks, sorry to be so clueless.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    For the last two posters (speaking as a general outsider), all the information you seek is in the forum threads (either ST or Net10; predominantly ST; functionally the same). Take the time to look through them. They're long, but you'll get a well-rounded understanding if you expose yourself to what's contained therein.

The T-Mobile SIM swap is viable on the AT&T iPhone just as a measure to signal the phone to allow the MMS settings menu to appear. If it sees an AT&T SIM (whether from AT&T or ST), the necessary menu will not appear. Jailbreaking should not be required. Read on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    For the last two posters (speaking as a general outsider), all the information you seek is in the forum threads (either ST or Net10; predominantly ST; functionally the same). Take the time to look through them. They're long, but you'll get a well-rounded understanding if you expose yourself to what's contained therein.

The T-Mobile SIM swap is viable on the AT&T iPhone just as a measure to signal the phone to allow the MMS settings menu to appear. If it sees an AT&T SIM (whether from AT&T or ST), the necessary menu will not appear. Jailbreaking should not be required. Read on.
    Thank you. This is all so new to me, please be patient . . . .

I have searched for the tmobile sim thread and there are so many . . . I don't see the one with the exact directions for how to do this. Can you point me in the right direction?

Also - can I just walk into a t-mobile store to buy the SIM?

thanks for any help you can give

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    Jumping in to this thread as a complete ignoramus on this topic. Is there a link to a step-by-step tutorial on how to use an iPhone on one of these services? is it worth doing? I didn't even know it was possible ( see ignoramus reference).

I will be getting my net10 sim soon I hope (ordered online from BB a few days ago). When I figure it out I will come back and let you know. I found step-by-step directions on the net10 site - everything except MMS.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This whole thing is not my area of expertise, but in addition to any tutorials you might find outside of HoFo, inside the Straight Talk forum the info is there, scattered about. If you post there looking for direct guidance, you may find someone who can put it all together for you. This topic has been discussed for well over a year, so some of the less sympathetic types may not be too easy on you at first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post

I was able to set it up pretty easily. I ordered the SIM from best buy - you can also get it from the net10 site. Called to activate it (can do that online too i think). Enrolled in autopay to get the $5 discount. So I pay $45/month, plus taxes for unlimited everything (instead of $50). After I was enrolled I used wifi on my phone to go to http://unlock.co.nz to set up the APN profile. Everything seems to be working fine. I am not sure about MMS yet as I haven't really tried it. I did receive a picture without doing anything additional - but that might have been sent through imessages and not as a regular text.