Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Who's running a new iPhone 5 on Straight Talk?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Who's running a new iPhone 5 on Straight Talk?

I would like to hear from people using the new iPhone 5 on Straight Talk. Does everything work? What did you have to do to get everything working 100%, etc.

I want to change from my iPhone 4s that I have everything working on, but I am kinda waiting for some people that are more tech savy to take lead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyberetta View Post
    I would like to hear from people using the new iPhone 5 on Straight Talk. Does everything work? What did you have to do to get everything working 100%, etc.

I want to change from my iPhone 4s that I have everything working on, but I am kinda waiting for some people that are more tech savy to take lead.
    I'm running straight talk on a iPhone 5. I don't have MMS working yet. I ordered a t-mobile sim today to try and fix that.

Feedback Score
    All I did was cut down my sim with scissors. There are templates on the net to guide you. No need to shave the back of the sim. Just stick it in there! Then I went to unlockit.co.nz and ran the program to set the straight talk up. Make sure you are on wi-fi when you do this. That's it. MMS is a different story. Haven't tried it yet. Everything else works fine.

Feedback Score
    Oh, I also went to eBay and had the phone unlocked for $15. Although I don't think it's required I did it anyways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The1Law View Post
    Oh, I also went to eBay and had the phone unlocked for $15. Although I don't think it's required I did it anyways.

Did you have to activate the phone on AT&T first or just Straight Talk?

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    iPhone 5
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I didn't activate on ATT, I just popped the ST sim in there and activated with it.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Is everything working including Facetime over 3g? Was everyone able to get MMS working with the tmobile sim trick?

Feedback Score
    @The1Law: Did getting the iPhone 5 unlocked gain you access to the APN settings??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryoham12 View Post
    Did you have to activate the phone on AT&T first or just Straight Talk?
    I wouldn't suggest activating on the straight talk sim. It will get bounced back to the AT&T server and won't activate. I tried to activate an iPhone 5 with a different AT&T SIM card and I got a message saying that the phone wasn't activated and AT&T will email me when it is. The phone still worked, but didn't activate for a few hours. The sim was part of my AT&T plan on 5, but didn't belong to the actual 5 I was activating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyberetta View Post
    Is everything working including Facetime over 3g? Was everyone able to get MMS working with the tmobile sim trick?
    Haven't tried the sim swap yet. Waiting for my SIM cutter to get here first. Will let you know how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    @The1Law: Did getting the iPhone 5 unlocked gain you access to the APN settings??
    That is a good question. You would think there would be access. But there isn't. Maybe the phone is programmed to open the APN settings when a new SIM is put in. And that's why the T-mobile SIM trick works.

Feedback Score
    Im running the Verizon iPhone 5 on straight talk with an AT&T BYOD sim-card. So far, just about everything works with the help of unlockit.co.nz. Ive tried to get MMS working several times via the Tmobile swap trick and was successful sending an MMS to someone once, but it doesn't seem to want to stick. Ive followed many guides, including those that claim to be '100% working' but I haven't had any luck. Perhaps Im doing something wrong, but Ive given up at this point. Im hoping a jailbreak is released sooner than later to get that functionality back.

Im not sure about FaceTime over 3G (havent tried), but tethering doesn't seem to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The1Law View Post
    That is a good question. You would think there would be access. But there isn't. Maybe the phone is programmed to open the APN settings when a new SIM is put in. And that's why the T-mobile SIM trick works.
    I think the issue is that the ST AT&T SIM looks like a regular AT&T SIM to the phone (that's why you can use it without unlocking). And since the phone has built-in settings for various known carriers around the world (including AT&T) those settings tell it not to display the APN settings page for AT&T SIMs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo228 View Post
    Im running the Verizon iPhone 5 on straight talk with an AT&T BYOD sim-card. So far, just about everything works with the help of unlockit.co.nz. Ive tried to get MMS working several times via the Tmobile swap trick and was successful sending an MMS to someone once, but it doesn't seem to want to stick. Ive followed many guides, including those that claim to be '100% working' but I haven't had any luck. Perhaps Im doing something wrong, but Ive given up at this point. Im hoping a jailbreak is released sooner than later to get that functionality back.

Im not sure about FaceTime over 3G (havent tried), but tethering doesn't seem to work.
    Try my thread, I think you might be missing the rdf setting:

http://www.howardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1777964

Feedback Score
    Is it just me or is your (technofox) link broken? When I click on that I end up at the HoFo Blog.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast