Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Get past 'empty USIM card insert USIM card' screen on 007SH?

Feedback Score

Get past 'empty USIM card insert USIM card' screen on 007SH?

Just got my hands on a 007SH, which when booted up gives me a screen with the error 'Empty USIM card. Power off and insert USIM card.'

I only want to use it as a multimedia device (don't own a cellphone currently, or to be more precise, I don't own a single SIM card).

Short of bringing it to Japan and paying Softbank to get it unlocked, I take it I'd be able to get in to the device through the use of a hypersim? (Such as the $20 Mr. Sim).

If so, I assume I'd need a SIM card to use with it. Would I be able to use an empty prepaid card that you can find for just a buck or two (Red Pocket, H20, Simple Mobile), or would I need to use a deactivated used sim card (T-Mobile, Verizon)..or would I need to have an active cell phone service?

I don't have or want a cell phone service, any help appreciated.

Phones
    GT-i9505G
    OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505G Google Edition
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    中華電信 / 台灣大哥大 / Vodafone Australia
    Feedback Score
    That message is looking for a Japanses USIM card from SoftBank. You can throw in any sim card which will give you a different error. You can probably hypersim it but even then you'd probably want to use it with some GSM service of some kind. So find a de-activated SoftBank USIM would be your best bet.

It's all good (^_^)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...668534-IonNuke <<< My Feedback... rising from the dead.

Everyone's on their own for hypersims. I'm out har har har har har~~~~

Feedback Score
    Looked up the used softbank usims, couldn't find one for less than $40 (which was precut to microsim), then $80.

Going to try my luck with a Mr Sim hypersim and a t-mobile prepaid GSM sim (which you can get off of their site for $1).

Carrier
    CHN CMCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdhaul View Post
    Looked up the used softbank usims, couldn't find one for less than $40 (which was precut to microsim), then $80.

Going to try my luck with a Mr Sim hypersim and a t-mobile prepaid GSM sim (which you can get off of their site for $1).
    search softbank usim in taobao if you know chinese, cheaper than ebay

Phones
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Sharp 007SH
    Sharp 005SH
    Carrier
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You dont need to pay to have it unlocked at Softbank btw - Its a free service.

The flight to Japan/Postage might not be though.

Feedback Score
    Got the Mr Sim hypersim and a T-Mobile prepaid Sim. When I put just the t-mobile in it recognizes it and gives me a USIM-MEP error.

But when I put it in with the hypersim I get the 'Empty USIM card' error. Tried a good 10 times now.

Does this mean I need to CPR the t-mobile sim with another phone, or does the fact it doesn't recognize any card being in it at all mean that I got a junk hypersim?

Edit:
    Grabbed a local tracfone, put the SIM in and it gave me a simlock error. Put the SIM in with the hypersim and it worked, gave me a bootup message of something like 'welcome to mr sim', but upon pressing OK booted me to the sim lock error again. Reset the phone, and it let me in completely on the second try. Checking the settings gave me all the sim info.

Put it in the 007sh..still giving me the no usim error.

Seeing as how the sim works, and the hypersim worked in the second phone, is it an issue with the 007SH somehow? Is it not properly CPR'd? Completely at a loss.

I also looked up the Softbank USIMs and the only ones I can find are the black color which appear to be for iPhones only..
    Last edited by jackdhaul; 09-27-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Phones
    too many to place them here
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    D905i, SH-07a
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(main)
    At&T(Pre Paid)
    Feedback Score
    if you don't want it ill gladly take it, at least it will help me look at the system files and look for a root solution or to have the applications available for everybody...
    We lose as much as we gain through life, and that includes who we used to be.

I WANT TO BUY A FUJITSU ESPRIMO DH550!!

Phones
    GT-i9505G
    OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505G Google Edition
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    中華電信 / 台灣大哥大 / Vodafone Australia
    Feedback Score
    The last of my knowledge indicate that the MrSIM hypersims could be self programmed with a launcher tool. And there was some pre-set for Softbank that had to be written to the hyperim before you use it. So the "run of the mill" mr sim probably had a general code for sold softbank and newer docomo phones but not the newer softbanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IonNuke View Post
    The last of my knowledge indicate that the MrSIM hypersims could be self programmed with a launcher tool. And there was some pre-set for Softbank that had to be written to the hyperim before you use it. So the "run of the mill" mr sim probably had a general code for sold softbank and newer docomo phones but not the newer softbanks.
    The seller I bought it from requests a PM of your phone model and supposedly set the MrSim to mine before sending it, unless they were fibbin'.

My best guess is that I didn't properly CPR it? I assume a CPR only works without a hypersim. I'm under the assumption that having used a sim+hypersim in a simlocked phone I only managed to sneak past the simlock once of probably did nothing.

At least, I'm assuming this because the Empty USIM error and the USIM-MEP error both show 'x' and no bars, and that the USIM-MEP error is it blocking the sim before even trying to get a signal (and if it didn't give me this error, would simply give me the Empty USIM error when it failed to get that signal, like with the hypersim?)

Figure I can try to grab a cheap throwaway t-mobile phone to properly CPR/activate the sim and hopefully then I'll get through. Import a softbank usim as a last resort.

Feedback Score
    I got a Softbank USIM, the silver one, aaand..

USIM-MEP error.

Not sure why, but it does work with a hypersim. I'm greeted by a backround with a new error I recall seeing here: 'It was locked because out of service area passed period of time. Move to reach signal.'

Although I wonder if the issue lies in that newer SIM cards have smaller contacts? My hypersim is full sized as well as my softbank usim, but my SIM cards have smaller contacts, roughly 3/4 the size.
    Last edited by nerdstick; 10-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Phones
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Sharp 007SH
    Sharp 005SH
    Carrier
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They have specific SIM cards for Smartphones here, and again specific ones for the micro-sim phones. Just having a Softbank sim isnt enough... has to be a specific smartphone sim

Was it silver with aquamarine stripes? Thats the only one that will work with it.

Feedback Score
    Ah, that would explain it. Just the regular silver. Although I can get it to work with the hypersim I use, that's how I got the lock error.

I suppose my real issue is 'Move to reach signal'. If I could get a non-softbank SIM to work (any I could get a signal from here in the states) I assume I'd be able to get into the phone, past this error? I figure if I had the smartphone softbank sim all it would do for me is get me to that signal error without the hypersim needed.

Just not sure why no SIM other than the softbank sim has worked with the hypersim. The only difference between them I can wager being the smaller size of the contacts making them incompatible with the hypersim (compared to the full-sized Softbank sim), although that's just a wild guess.

Feedback Score
    Oof! Looks like my continual retries ended up breaking the hypersim..

Any chance anyone has any idea if getting a used simcard that has full-sized contacts could get me past these errors? Bought a few prepaid sims and all of them have smaller contacts and give me a "No sim card" error with hypersim, and "USIM-MEP" errors without.

The only success I've had thus far is with the Softbank USIM and the only difference between them I can tell is that the Softbank USIM has full-sized contacts. Sadly got an 'outside signal area'-esque message with it, so I'd need something local to work.

For reference: i.imgur.com/QnL33.png

The prepaid sims I've used have small contacts (like the top), the Softbank USIM has full-sized contacts (bottom).
    Last edited by nerdstick; 12-04-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    Sorry about the consecutive bump! No edit button.

Random idea: Could my actual issue be that my hypersim was flashed to work with Softbank sims? Or to be more precise, getting my US sim cards to work is only a matter of re-flashing the hypersim for US simcards?

I've just assumed that the issue was the different sized contacts, but perhaps I was on the wrong train of thought?

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdstick View Post
    Sorry about the consecutive bump! No edit button.

Random idea: Could my actual issue be that my hypersim was flashed to work with Softbank sims? Or to be more precise, getting my US sim cards to work is only a matter of re-flashing the hypersim for US simcards?

I've just assumed that the issue was the different sized contacts, but perhaps I was on the wrong train of thought?
    Only very early hypersim models were flashed to work with specific SIMs or specific carriers, AFAIK. Quite sure this doesn't apply to recent hypersims. For example, I've used the same hypersim (since 2008) on a number of same-carrier SIMs in my country but also with a completely different carrier in Cyprus, and then with a completely different carrier in the UK. I'd bet on the contacts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast