Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG800G - how is the web access?

Feedback Score

LG800G - how is the web access?

Hi all!
    I am thinking of upgrading from my LG3280 to the LG800G. The main questions is have are about web access:
    - does it work fine, or is it extremely limited by tracfone?
    - What's the per minute cost (I am assuming it takes regular "units" or minutes, right?)?
    - How is the internet speed?

Is this phone worth the $50 in general?

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, now I saw the other thread that mentioned the 840G to be available soon - would it be worth to wait? Which phone is the best availble right now (GSM / ATT) for internet access (would be very rarely used though)?

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    No limits on the web. Can even use alternate browsers (like Opera, or UC).
    Cost 0.5 "minutes" per minute connected.

Speed sucks. EDGE is as fast as it gets (think dial-up).

The 840G, if it is actually released, will probably be the same.
    The tutorials show E (EDGE), and doesn't show airtime charges.
    The 840G does look to have Wi-FI though.
    It might be 3G, but then there's the issue of the charge rate (the 2 current 3G phones charge 1.5minutes/100KB instead of the published rate).

The EX431G (not available yet) tutorials show EDGE too, but looks to be charging like the other 3G phones.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 09-25-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd probably avoid it if you're looking for web use. The 3280 is a workhorse of a phone on Verizon. The LG 800G will be on T-Mo or AT&T, and web will be slowww. And clunky. It costs 0.5 units per minute of web browsing time.

The newer 3G phones (Samsung S390G and S425G) are going to be slightly better for the internet as they are a lot faster, but TracFone has shifted toward charging for actual data use rather than how much time you spend online. It seems better in theory but TracFone is charging ridiculous rates for data so it's not cost effective if you use it a lot. If you just want it for a quick email check now and then, or a quick Google search, you won't use much data, so don't worry about it if that's what you have in mind. Any sort of more involved web browsing will cost you a pretty penny.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys!
    So it looks like one of the Samsungs would be the better choice. I would very rarely use the web access, only during like a camping trip for a quick search, or to check email.
    Do any of these Samsungs (S390G or S425G) have wifi capability? I can't find them on tracfone's webpage.
    I am okay switching to AT&T. I have a second tracfone, a LG600, which is on AT&T. I get similar coverage, maybe even slightly better with the LG600.

Again, thanks a lot!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    So it looks like one of the Samsungs would be the better choice. I would very rarely use the web access, only during like a camping trip for a quick search, or to check email.
    Do any of these Samsungs (S390G or S425G) have wifi capability?
    Both have wi-fi.

Neither is a touch screen though.
    The LG800G is not bad (though it has some quirks) and if you aren't using data the speed it won't matter.

The LG840G should have wi-fi, and may well be 3G, hard to tell since the tutorial never shows the charges.
    (I just noticed that the tutorial link was for StraightTalk, so it may be on an unlimited plan)
    It may never be offered on TracFone.

Of course, you can easily move to the LGF840G later if it does come to TF.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 09-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Both (the S425 and S390) have wi-fi
    The Samsung S425 does not have wifi. Only the S390 has wifi.

Don't wait around for the LG 840. It could be 6 months or even never before it comes out on Tracfone.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    LG800G Web access isn't the greatest.

They will charge you even if the page requested can't be displayed. That sucks.

OK to make quick E-mail check or maybe find an address but not for surfing.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everybody! You guys have really helped me.
    I was now trending towards the S390G, and I am right now on page 11 of the S390 thread. What gets me is that according to ST dog, the charge rate issue hasn't been resolved yet? How many units will it take if you check say the weather forecast on weather.com?
    I was going to order the $99 deal from HSN with 1 year / 1,400 minutes, but now I am not so sure anymore. Hmmm. Dang! Does the HSN deal phone come with an AT&T sim card?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it comes with an AT&T SIM.

No change in the rate or updates from TF.

Not sure on the weather update. It would depend on how you access it.
    Mobile site would have less data. Opera could have less data because of the buffering.
    A weather app could be even less data.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quick test with my laptop and the S390G UserAgent

The current conditions page ( http://xhtml.weather.com/xhtml/cc/<zipcode> )
    7.04K text + images(0.18 + 5.18 + 2.93 + 2.85 + 0.2 + 0.41 + 3.44 + 0.04 =15.23)
    total 22.27K so ~ 0.34 airtime units

Save it as a bookmark instead of going through the homepage and entering a zip code
    (extra 8.8k for the page plus the post)

I just tested with the bookmark, and it only took 0.22 units.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot, ST Dog! That doesn't sound too bad, maybe I'll just go for it. I have to make a decision soon.
    With the HSN deal, how are the minutes and one year service time (I assume) applied? Is there an airtime card included? And how do you go to the mobile sites directly? I thought you'll just go to the regular webpages, and it will know automatically?
    Sorry about all these questions I have, just want to know before shelling out a hundred bucks, that's quite some dough.
    I would want to port my phone number and service time from the LG3280. Can that be done through the webpage, or would I be better off calling Miami?

Again, thanks a lot ST Dog, and everybody else as well who replied!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    With the HSN deal, how are the minutes and one year service time (I assume) applied? Is there an airtime card included?
    Not a card. Call a number, enter info (order number, zipcode, phone number), and it gets applied.

And how do you go to the mobile sites directly? I thought you'll just go to the regular webpages, and it will know automatically?
    Most of the time it does. But you can often configure so you get the full site.

The default browser does bring up the mobile version of sites if available.

I'd still save the page as a favorite instead of bringing up the TF page, and using the links there.
    And going straight to the page you want means you aren't paying to load pages you really don't need.

I would want to port my phone number and service time from the LG3280. Can that be done through the webpage, or would I be better off calling Miami?
    Unless you have a lot of minutes on the old phone, the web site normally works fine.
    You'll usually have the phone active with the number and airtime in a few minutes.
    (Then you call the HSN number to get the extra airtime. Generally take a 10-15 minutes)

If it doesn't work for some reason, then I'd call Miami.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again, ST Dog!
    I have 950 minutes left on the old phone, I doubt that's considered a lot, so yes, I'll give it a shot through the webpage.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    950 minutes should not be an issue.
    My wife's phone had more than that when I transferred her time to a S390G online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast