Thread: Thank you, Straight Talk, for losing my phone number.

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score

Thank you, Straight Talk, for losing my phone number.

So I bailed on Straight Talk this past weekend. I'd been trying to settle on a phone with an AT&T SIM and decided that since AT&T's service at my office is garbage that I'd switch to the Verizon-based Galaxy Proclaim. So Thursday the 20th I bought one and ported my number. After about an hour, I got a text that my number was ready to go and I could call *22890 to program my phone. After I did that, I got the WRONG number. A brand new one best I could tell. So I call ST's corporate number and they said there was an "error in their system" and after about 10 minutes of holding, I could reprogram my phone. Sure enough, I got my phone number back.

And things were great until Saturday morning the 22nd. I'm not sure when it happened, but I got turned off. I had used about 60MB of data from Thursday night until Saturday, so it wasn't me hitting a data cap. It just got turned off. I called ST again and after about 3 hours over the course of Saturday and Sunday, they were unable to re-enable my cell phone. So I'm panicked and I figure I need to get my phone number back somehow, so I decide to port it back to T-Mobile, where I was before coming to ST.

On Monday the 24th I ran out to Wal-Mart and got the cheapest phone they had (a $20 jobbie) so I could get a SIM and activate it and stick it in my old Optimus T. I start the port process and after about 45 minutes I get a text on my new phone that I had a phone number, but that phone number was new!

So I called T-Mobile to see what the deal was and they sent me to their ports people. They looked up the number and apparently they were told that the number was inactive. It was, kinda, because ST was not competent enough to re-activate my phone, but my auto-pay date wasn't until October 6! It's not like I let the plan expire. Thanks for nothing, American Movil.

If you call my "old" number, which I've had for almost 4 years, you get a "welcome to Verizon Wireless" message saying that the number has been changed or disconnected. I'm just steamed. Never again will I give money to an AM phone company. A LONG time ago, I had tried to switch from one Net10 phone to another, and they lost my phone number then, too. I got it back somehow but that was when I switched to T-Mo and the port was successful. I was able to salvage it that time. A while later and I was attracted by ST's $45 "unlimited" plan (which I didn't learn was not at all unlimited until after I switched) and jumped off T-Mo's $60/mo plan to ST. Now I'm back (and back on the same plan) and I'll never leave again.

I'm not really looking for help, or for sympathy, or anything else. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You didn't do anything wrong.

But stories like this is why I ported my long-time cell phone number from my old carrier to Google Voice, THEN signed up with Straight Talk.

I researched the porting issue and it seems when American Movil is involved, it's just too risky.

I point my phone number to my Straight Talk phone and blithely ignore the phone number ST assigned me. If I lose my "Straight Talk" number, I don't care. It's not "my" number anyway.

No matter what carrier/MNVO I use, what phone I use, I will ALWAYS have my number. I just assign whatever device I want it to ring.

QUESTION: So, if you hear a Verizon message when your old number is called, Verizon doesn't somehow have control of your number?

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    I wish I could, but right now the area code I live in (309) is not portable to GV. I was going to do that long ago but it wasn't allowed.

You gave me an idea, though, to call Verizon and see if I can get my number back through them. Unfortunately they say that it's a number that was "contracted out" and they can't do anything with it directly. Apparently they're talking about how it's assigned to American Movil. At least it was an idea, so thanks for that.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    so basicly you were porting from one st phone to st phone and lost you #.i am sorry for your loose.is the an open investigation into st murder of your #.when is the funeral

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like the port didn't go through and your number is still tied to your Straight Talk Proclaim which is Verizon service . If so, you still have a chance to keep your number. Open a Facebook ticket and keep following up on it.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That happened to me once, they said system error. I demanded to speak with a supervisor and she got my number back.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    so basicly you were porting from one st phone to st phone and lost you #.i am sorry for your loose.is the an open investigation into st murder of your #.when is the funeral
    Your sarcasm is not helpful here.

It seems like everytime something bad is brought up about ST, you take it personally. Are you Carlos Slim's son or something?

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    You can very likely get this fixed, but you need to get your issue escalated to someone who can help.

Go onto ST's facebook page and file a support request. If that doesn't work, call the Corporate HQ number. They should be able to get your # activated and once activated, you can port it out.

Quote Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
    So I bailed on Straight Talk this past weekend. I'd been trying to settle on a phone with an AT&T SIM and decided that since AT&T's service at my office is garbage that I'd switch to the Verizon-based Galaxy Proclaim. So Thursday the 20th I bought one and ported my number. After about an hour, I got a text that my number was ready to go and I could call *22890 to program my phone. After I did that, I got the WRONG number. A brand new one best I could tell. So I call ST's corporate number and they said there was an "error in their system" and after about 10 minutes of holding, I could reprogram my phone. Sure enough, I got my phone number back.

And things were great until Saturday morning the 22nd. I'm not sure when it happened, but I got turned off. I had used about 60MB of data from Thursday night until Saturday, so it wasn't me hitting a data cap. It just got turned off. I called ST again and after about 3 hours over the course of Saturday and Sunday, they were unable to re-enable my cell phone. So I'm panicked and I figure I need to get my phone number back somehow, so I decide to port it back to T-Mobile, where I was before coming to ST.

On Monday the 24th I ran out to Wal-Mart and got the cheapest phone they had (a $20 jobbie) so I could get a SIM and activate it and stick it in my old Optimus T. I start the port process and after about 45 minutes I get a text on my new phone that I had a phone number, but that phone number was new!

So I called T-Mobile to see what the deal was and they sent me to their ports people. They looked up the number and apparently they were told that the number was inactive. It was, kinda, because ST was not competent enough to re-activate my phone, but my auto-pay date wasn't until October 6! It's not like I let the plan expire. Thanks for nothing, American Movil.

If you call my "old" number, which I've had for almost 4 years, you get a "welcome to Verizon Wireless" message saying that the number has been changed or disconnected. I'm just steamed. Never again will I give money to an AM phone company. A LONG time ago, I had tried to switch from one Net10 phone to another, and they lost my phone number then, too. I got it back somehow but that was when I switched to T-Mo and the port was successful. I was able to salvage it that time. A while later and I was attracted by ST's $45 "unlimited" plan (which I didn't learn was not at all unlimited until after I switched) and jumped off T-Mo's $60/mo plan to ST. Now I'm back (and back on the same plan) and I'll never leave again.

I'm not really looking for help, or for sympathy, or anything else. I just needed to get that off my chest.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Carrier
    T-Mobile postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll check out their Facebook page. I'd tried their forums and while I got a very quick response they have not been able to help.