Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TMo SIM Swap with iPhone 4

Feedback Score

TMo SIM Swap with iPhone 4

I have searched this thread and the net10 thread and read a lot - but am confused and have a few questions. Please be patient with me as this is all new to me.

I will be activating an ATT iphone 4 with net10. (I posted there and someone suggested I come here.)

Will the TMo SIM swap work with net10 for MMS?

Can I get the TMo SIM from ebay? (looked there - not sure . .) Will a t-mobile store sell me a SIM?

Can someone point me to the simplest directions on how to enable MMS on the iphone 4 with the SIM swap trick? I read the threads but do not understand exactly what I need to do.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trenty View Post
    I have searched this thread and the net10 thread and read a lot - but am confused and have a few questions. Please be patient with me as this is all new to me.

I will be activating an ATT iphone 4 with net10. (I posted there and someone suggested I come here.)

Will the TMo SIM swap work with net10 for MMS?

Can I get the TMo SIM from ebay? (looked there - not sure . .) Will a t-mobile store sell me a SIM?

Can someone point me to the simplest directions on how to enable MMS on the iphone 4 with the SIM swap trick? I read the threads but do not understand exactly what I need to do.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

T-Mobile won't sell you a Straight Talk sim, no.

Straight Talk uses 4 "real" carriers for their Straight Talk-branded phones: Verizon (CDMA), Sprint (CDMA), AT&T (GSM), and T-Mobile (GSM).
    Straight Talk is buying the excess bandwidth of the carriers and re-selling it.

Starting last February, Straight Talk started a revolutionary program: Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP), where you could bring ANY GSM (sim card) phone you own, and they will sell you a Straight Talk sim card to put in there. For $45 per month, you can have service on either the AT&T network or the T-Mobile network. Your choice... BUT you are not an AT&T customer nor a T-Mobile customer. You would still be Straight Talk customer.

You have to use a Straight Talk sim. You order these from www.StraightTalkSIM.com -- a separate website from StraightTalk.com. You will pay $15 for the sim card.

_________

Net10 is ALSO participating in the sim card program. You can order a Net10 sim card from Net10SIM.com.

If you really, really want service on T-Mobile, then choose the "T-mobile" sim. Note I'm putting T-Mobile in quote marks. It's not really from T-Mobile, it's still from Straight Talk, but configured to work on the T-Mobile network through Straight Talk.

I wanted an "AT&T" sim and I knew what size sim I wanted, also. I'll re-use a screenshot I used before, so ignore the markups, it was for someone who had a Galaxy Nexus like me.

One other issue. Are you SURE you want to use T-Mobile network on the iPhone 4S? T-mobile is refarming spectrum (frequencies) they got from AT&T, but until they finish all the "regular" T-Mobile spectrum only allow slow EDGE data speeds. With the newly acquired AT&T frequencies transferred to T-Mobile , you will be able to receive HSPA+ speeds on your iPhone 4S. However, I would check your area to make sure you have or will get the transferred spectrum in your area. Otherwise, you will have painfully slow data speeds on T-Mobile.

Yes, wi-fi speeds will still be great. I'm just talking about data speeds over the mobile network.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. That is not what I am asking. I have an ATT phone and have the SIM from net10.

From what I read on here MMS will not work unless I do the "TMO SIM swap trick." I was looking for info about how to complete this "trick" to enable MMS.

But thank you!

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trenty View Post
    Thanks. That is not what I am asking. I have an ATT phone and have the SIM from net10.

From what I read on here MMS will not work unless I do the "TMO SIM swap trick." I was looking for info about how to complete this "trick" to enable MMS.

But thank you!
    Ah! Sorry, thought you were somehow asking if you could activate Net10/Straight Talk with a T-Mobile sim....

Others HAVE asked questions like that, claiming that H20 lets them use actual AT&T sims and they don't understand why Straight Talk does not let them do the same.

iPhone 4S T-Mobile SIM swap to get MMS Working

This post tells you what to do:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/?p=631

If you want MMS to work as well and not jailbreak the iPhone then you can use the “SIM” Swap method but this only seems to work on the iPhone 4S. People with 3GS/3G/4 have reported it doesn’t work at all.

To do this you will need a T-Mobile sim .It doesn’t need to be activated and can be easily acquired from many places around the USA (I have been told)

- Go to Settings->General->Network
    - Place T-Mobile SIM into iPhone
    - A New Menu will come up (Cellular Data Settings)
    - Go into this Menu and make sure the Details are are as below (Don’t exit)
    - SIM Swap back to the Straight talk SIM Card
    - Exit Cellular Data Settings Menu (Click Network up the top)
    - The Cellular Data Settings Menu will Disappear now.
    - MMS Works

If you want to Enable MMS (and you have a jailbroken iPhone ) then install Tetherme from Cydia and you can go into the Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Settings Menu and Edit them as below

Settings
    Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMS
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL
    :

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Ah! Sorry, thought you were somehow asking if you could activate Net10/Straight Talk with a T-Mobile sim....

Others HAVE asked questions like that, claiming that H20 lets them use actual AT&T sims and they don't understand why Straight Talk does not let them do the same.

iPhone 4S T-Mobile SIM swap to get MMS Working

This post tells you what to do:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/?p=631
    Thanks again. These directions say that this won't work with the iphone 4. I guess I should just have someone jailbreak for me.

Feedback Score
    i am wondering if you know someone, with tmobile account, they might can go and get you a tmobile sims. But i am not sure about that

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronone View Post
    i am wondering if you know someone, with tmobile account, they might can go and get you a tmobile sims. But i am not sure about that
    have to be awfull trusting,especially sence you can buy one off ebay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    have to be awfull trusting,especially sence you can buy one off ebay
    thanks. wasn't sure if the ones listed on ebay would work with the iphone 4. still unclear of how to do the "TMo SIM swap trick." . . . .

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Check out the iPhone on ST wiki here:
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone
    You can use a tmobile sim off eBay or order one from tmobile prepaid online, where they have them currently for 99 cents and free shipping.
    As for working on the 4, yes, the sim swap used to only work on the 4S. However, once AT&T started unlocking iPhones that weren't under contract, there were multiple reports of iPhone 4 users who had AT&T unlock the phone, and then the sim swap worked on the 4 after it was unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Check out the iPhone on ST wiki here:
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone
    You can use a tmobile sim off eBay or order one from tmobile prepaid online, where they have them currently for 99 cents and free shipping.
    As for working on the 4, yes, the sim swap used to only work on the 4S. However, once AT&T started unlocking iPhones that weren't under contract, there were multiple reports of iPhone 4 users who had AT&T unlock the phone, and then the sim swap worked on the 4 after it was unlocked.
    Thank you. This is helpful.

I can't get to the wiki - looks like that section is still hacked . . . .I get redirected to other pages

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, sorry about that. I looked for a cached version on google and couldn't find one. I know I would leave something out. You could search the forum for iPhone mms, and would probably find it quoted in one of the threads. Hopefully the domain will be back soon.

Phone
    Nexus 5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Lycamobile, Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Cached link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ht_Talk_iPhone

You can also buy a factory unlock for your iphone on eBay for under $10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    Cached link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ht_Talk_iPhone

You can also buy a factory unlock for your iphone on eBay for under $10.
    thank you. This is helpful.

Feedback Score
    I got my phone activated with the net10 sim. updated the apn settings very easily. Did nothing else and i did receive a picture message that came through. not sure if that was through imessages or just regular mms though. i have not tried to send mms yet.

Phone
    Blackberry 8330 Boost Branded
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have an Iphone 4 and can access these settings doing the swap, my problem is that they don't stay at all, and I can never send a picture message.. hell right now I'm having problems getting messages any messages, i can send them all day long to people and they get them but I can't get any back how stupid is that.. I 'm so frustrated at this point and I don't know what to do anymore, and I have tried several fix's the only thing I haven't done is jail break the phone, but I'm not even sure who does this for IOS6..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast