Thread: Iphone - Rogers pay as you go - data plan

Feedback Score

Iphone - Rogers pay as you go - data plan

Ok can someone give me a final definitive answer. Does an Iphone work on Rogers pay as you go without subscribing to a data plan? I've researched this forever and I get mixed answers. Some say it does and if you need data you just buy the day or week pass others say when you tell the rogers pay as you go rep you have an iphone the rep immediately says you have to have a data plan otherwise it won't work.

Feedback Score
    Yes, you can have an iPhone on PAYG without a data plan.
    You are prompted to buy a day pass or week pass if you try to access data. Otherwise, it will just function as a normal phone with SMS service.
    You don't have to tell the Rogers rep anything. I have told them that I have an iPhone and they could care less about it.

Feedback Score
    Ok then. Thanks

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    You can use any unlocked GSM phone at any time with any GSM carrier anywhere, prepaid or postpaid.

Almost always true. Only exception I can think of are weird MVNOs that have messed up firmware locks. (like tracfone/net10)

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    You can use any unlocked GSM phone at any time with any GSM carrier anywhere, prepaid or postpaid.

Almost always true. Only exception I can think of are weird MVNOs that have messed up firmware locks. (like tracfone/net10)
    AT&T in the US does not allow data on their paygo plan if you have an iPhone. You can purchase it (500mb for $20), but it won't work. I have tried and called their tech support. They say it will only work on non-iPhone devices (android, WM, etc). Talk about blatant anti-iPhone stance.
    There is no wealth like reason, no poverty like ignorance, no heritage like culture and no aid like consultation.
    --- Ali bin Abi Talib (A.S.)

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hasnaink View Post
    AT&T in the US does not allow data on their paygo plan if you have an iPhone. You can purchase it (500mb for $20), but it won't work. I have tried and called their tech support. They say it will only work on non-iPhone devices (android, WM, etc). Talk about blatant anti-iPhone stance.
    1) But the phone will still work without data (OP didn't want data)

2) I bet it will work if it's a non AT&T iPhone

Data on prepaid is a special case sometimes. but IN general, my statement applies for 'normal' voice and texting services

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    1) But the phone will still work without data (OP didn't want data)

2) I bet it will work if it's a non AT&T iPhone

Data on prepaid is a special case sometimes. but IN general, my statement applies for 'normal' voice and texting services
    Yes phone works as a normal phone. But the iPhone can't use the data whether it is AT&T or otherwise(mine is factory unlocked). As I said they told me it is policy.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    iPhone's will work on att. You need to use an pan changer and use a dummy imei of 111111. I've used an iPhone on AT&T prepaid. They only allow data on $25 and $50 plans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 4
    Sony Ericsson W508, Samsung C417
    Carrier
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score
    Further definitiveness - I use an iPhone 4 on Rogers Pay-as-you-go and always have. Rogers have nothing to do with my handset, bought direct from Apple.

I use data week packs. When it runs out of time or data (168 hours or 60MB, whichever is first), I get an SMS from the Rogers system saying I need a data pack to use data. I then reset my data counter and purchase a new pack on the phone. It works very very well.

It's also cheap for my usage. I am mostly on wi-fi and voice calls are not a regular thing, so I rarely go over the 60MB/week before the week is up. I keep a record of the usage and have spent $140 since February so my cellular service costs me ~$17.50 / month.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

Quote Originally Posted by cmetom
    Further definitiveness - I use an iPhone 4 on Rogers Pay-as-you-go and always have. Rogers have nothing to do with my handset, bought direct from Apple.

I use data week packs. When it runs out of time or data (168 hours or 60MB, whichever is first), I get an SMS from the Rogers system saying I need a data pack to use data. I then reset my data counter and purchase a new pack on the phone. It works very very well.

It's also cheap for my usage. I am mostly on wi-fi and voice calls are not a regular thing, so I rarely go over the 60MB/week before the week is up. I keep a record of the usage and have spent $140 since February so my cellular service costs me ~$17.50 / month.
    I always wondered, how I data counted by hours? Or pages even (I remember there was a count of pages)

Like MB I understand. You have a set amount. But how does it work with hours? What if someone always sends you a message 5 minutes apart? Would you constantly be always on and use up that 168 hours?