Thread: How do you pay for mobile web with Tracfone

Feedback Score

How do you pay for mobile web with Tracfone

I'm trying to get my brain around how Tracfone charges for mobile web. I understand 30 cents a mb, or whatever from other services. But charges per minute? You click on a website, it takes a certain amount of time to load the page. But once you load the page no data is moving. Are you still paying? Are you charged because the browser is open, or for actually time to move data up and down? And what about a website that has ads that are being updated? Would you pay for that time?

I'm trying to figure out if Tracfone is expensive or cheap for basic web usage.

Thanks!

Donald

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    I'm trying to get my brain around how Tracfone charges for mobile web. I understand 30 cents a mb, or whatever from other services. But charges per minute?
    Yessir, TF charges 1 unit for every minute used on mobile web.

You click on a website, it takes a certain amount of time to load the page. But once you load the page no data is moving. Are you still paying? Are you charged because the browser is open, or for actually time to move data up and down? And what about a website that has ads that are being updated? Would you pay for that time?
    From my experience, you are paying from the time you open-up the mobile browser until the time you close-out your browsing session (a "pop-up" will then appear saying how many minutes/units you used).

I'm trying to figure out if Tracfone is expensive or cheap for basic web usage.
    Given the (lack of) quality of the web brower TF uses on most handsets, I believe internet access is not a high priority for TF's core customers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much, that's very helpful!

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by JB2K View Post

From my experience, you are paying from the time you open-up the mobile browser until the time you close-out your browsing session (a "pop-up" will then appear saying how many minutes/units you used).

Given the (lack of) quality of the web brower TF uses on most handsets, I believe internet access is not a high priority for TF's core customers.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
    0.5 units per minute connected.
    http://www.tracfone.com/data_svs/price_chart.jsp

TRACFONE Mobile Web Access
    Each time you access the TRACFONE Mobile Web with your TRACFONE's browser, 0.5 units per minute will be deducted from your TRACFONE. TRACFONE Mobile Web Access Charges are deducted in full minute increments. Mobile Web access of less than 60 seconds is rounded up to the next full minute. 1 minute of TRACFONE Mobile Web Access = 0.5 units of airtime.

But yes, the clock starts when you open the connection (browser or app) and stops when you exit the app.

The new 3G phones (S390G and S425G so far) are charging differently though.
    They are charging based on the amount of data during the session. An the rate is high (1.5 units/100KB or 15 units/MB)

You're not stuck with that browser on the more recent phones. Several browsers available as J2ME apps, like Opera Mini and UC Browser.