Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help activating my new iPhone 5

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Need help activating my new iPhone 5

I purchased an iphone 5 on ebay and it was still sealed in the box. I guess the guy bought it directly from apple with an ATT account number. I was trying to activate the phone using the sim that is in the phone and it tells me I need his billing zip and the last four digits of his social security number.

Is there a way to get around this? I don't want to cut my micro sim down from my 4s until I know for sure I can use this phone. I heard in the past some people have used their ST sims to activate their iPhone, but I am hearing that with IOS 6 you have to have the original sim that was shipped with the phone to activate it.

Please help...

Feedback Score
    Go get AT&T prepaid sim and activate it. You also should be able to activate with ST sim.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think you can activate some one else sim card on your name specially ATT post paid connection. I am sure he renewed his contract got a new iphone 5, which he sold it and kept his old phone with the new contract.
    You dont have to activate iphone 5, its the sim which needs the activation. You can get a tmobile or att prepaid simcards which you can get it for cheap and try cutting the sim to nano sim and see if it works.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I think you'll be trying for a long time.. iPhone 5s use nano Sims. Straight talk bring your own phone sims either come in regular Sims or Micro Sims. No nano Sims.. I think your outta luck..

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using HowardForums

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andman433 View Post
    I think you'll be trying for a long time.. iPhone 5s use nano Sims. Straight talk bring your own phone sims either come in regular Sims or Micro Sims. No nano Sims.. I think your outta luck..

Please don't speak of things which you do not know, and haven't been reading about. There have been multiple threads in this forum for over two weeks here describing how people have cut down their sims to nano size.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I tried to activate it with another sim cut down to nano size and it is still showing his phone number and asking for his zip code and the four digits of his social security. This is so frustrating. Not much a person can do with the last four digits of someones social security number.

I purchased the phone sealed in the box off of ebay. The seller is responding but more concerned with his number being messed with etc and wants me to come up with a solution and take care of this mess. AT&T won't give me any info because I am not the account holder/purchaser to their eyes.

I wish I knew someone that worked at AT&T to help me out...

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried doing a reset or restore through iTunes? I would try that and then proceed with your sim and see what happens. I read online that it will unlock the phone.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You should read this:

forums dot att dot com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/apple/message-id/197051/print-single-message/false/page/1

sorry for the weird link, it won't let me post a regular link.

Interesting part from link:

Not only does the phone need to be activated on the line it was ordered under, if it is not activated in a certain amount of time (30 days, I think), the original buyer may get charged full price for the phone.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just went through the same thing... bought a brand-new in the box iPhone 5 off of craigslist night before last. Same thing... I needed the ZIP Code and the last four digits of the social security number. Called the seller and he told me that he bought it off craigslist so he didn't have that information... liar. He told me when I picked it up that he had gotten it as an upgrade. I didn't even bother calling AT&T because they will not help you... doesn't matter if you're a customer or not. So I drove an hour to the closest Apple Store. I looked out, I got a very nice elderly woman who felt very sorry for me because at this point I was in tears. She tried to do a restore but it's impossible.... she switched the phone for another one. At this point another guy who worked there got involved, he said they expect to see a lot of this and that this whole ZIP Code thing was AT&T's idea... not Apples. He told me I got very lucky getting that nice woman because they wouldn't usually change the phone out.

The man who sold you that phone has to give you that information or give you your money back.... if the phone isn't activated within 30 days he'll be charged full price for it. He sold it so he took on that responsibility. Let us know what happens... I wish you luck.
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Rooted & running CM7 ~ awesome!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andman433 View Post

Haha! Go go back to your cave.

Carrier
    Tmobile / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyberetta View Post
    I purchased the phone sealed in the box off of ebay. The seller is responding but more concerned with his number being messed with etc and wants me to come up with a solution and take care of this mess.
    It doesn't work that way on ebay. It's the seller who has to do the running around.

Essentially, you have not received what you paid for. Therefore, it's up to the SELLER to figure this all out.

Remind him that if you file a dispute for NAD (Not as Described), they will have to pay for return shipping AND reimburse you whatever you have paid - that's ebay's policy.

Feedback Score
    Once you remove the original sim, the phone is cherry. Cut down your sim and it should work with no problem. Check this thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post14932320

Feedback Score
    @indybretta:
    Hey man, I went through the same exact experience when the iPhone 4S came out last year! There's NOTHING you can do!! Luckily I contacted the seller and he was willing to work with me. I had to send back the iPhone to him so he could activate the sim with his information. Of course he kept the micro-sim but sent me back the iPhone. After that everything worked and there were no future issues. I did a full Restore of the iPhone upon getting it back and the seller's account info was no longer requested :-)

So you're going to have to send back the iPhone to the seller so he can take care of that problem for you. Unfortunately, I paid for shipping it back to him and he did likewise.
    Trust me, this is the ONLY way!

I've been a iPhone user since 2007 and know all the "tricks". I even called Apple (no Apple Store where i live) and went to the AT&T Store for help but they couldn't do anything!

Apparently, as someone stated above, this is a security precaution from AT&T to make sure the AT&T customer's upgrade is completed and they use the device on AT&T.

This should solve your problem!

Feedback Score
    I got my iPhone 5 off Craigslist and a week later, while trying to activate it, it wanted me to enter the owner's billing ZIP and last four digits of SSN.
    After having no luck at contacting the seller (the guy who I bought it from) I started looking for a solution.
    I spent quite some time and realized that the was NO free solution to this and the phone is basically useless without it.
    So I decided to go with a relatively inexpensive solution that I found on the internet.
    These guys charge just about $30 and they get you the Billing ZIP along with the last four of the original owner's SSN.
    I submitted the IMEI and the phone number to them and two days later got the info!
    Thanks to them I can now use this phone rather than just a VERY expensive brick with an Apple logo on it.
    If anyone is interested, here is the web site: onemanwireless.com
    Just select "Apple" and then "Activation Service".
    I think this works for any AT&T iPhones, including 4, 4S and 5.

Phones
    Sony Ericsson T616
    Samsung SCH-A970
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kstsn View Post
    I got my iPhone 5 off Craigslist and a week later, while trying to activate it, it wanted me to enter the owner's billing ZIP and last four digits of SSN.
    After having no luck at contacting the seller (the guy who I bought it from) I started looking for a solution.
    I spent quite some time and realized that the was NO free solution to this and the phone is basically useless without it.
    So I decided to go with a relatively inexpensive solution that I found on the internet.
    These guys charge just about $30 and they get you the Billing ZIP along with the last four of the original owner's SSN.
    I submitted the IMEI and the phone number to them and two days later got the info!
    Thanks to them I can now use this phone rather than just a VERY expensive brick with an Apple logo on it.
    If anyone is interested, here is the web site: onemanwireless.com
    Just select "Apple" and then "Activation Service".
    I think this works for any AT&T iPhones, including 4, 4S and 5.
    Just wanted to piggy back your post and say that there's one slightly cheaper solution on eBay that I also found: ( I can't post links ) Item Number: 370696370127

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast