Thread: Where can I buy an iPhone 5 outright?

Feedback Score

Toronto Where can I buy an iPhone 5 outright?

Didn't think this would be so difficult but where can I buy a Telus iPhone 5 outright? Meaning no contract, no month to month. I just want the phone. I can't even find any on Kijiji or Craigslist!

And I'm in the Mississauga area. Toronto is fine too.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Apple.ca

Sent from Telus's HTC Amaze 4G running on Shared HSPA+ Network

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    The only place they are selling no contract unlocked iphone 5 right now is to order off the apple website and have it shipped. Anyone who is selling theirs is likely already listed on ebay and selling theirs overseas for a healthy profit.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using HowardForums
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Phone
    IPhone4S 64gb white & BB 9900 & HTC HERO (all current)
    Carriers
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    u can buy it from anywhere but it will just be locked. which it doesnt make sense to do if you're going to pay that amount of money. kijiji has them they just are charging really high prices

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RileyFreeman View Post
    u can buy it from anywhere but it will just be locked. which it doesnt make sense to do if you're going to pay that amount of money. kijiji has them they just are charging really high prices
    Usually that would be true but they are not selling any at Telus without the contract at this point in time. No outright sales of the iphone 5. The website only lists 3 year pricing with the device balance amount, there is no option for just buying the phone at full pricing. Almost certainly it's a temporary thing but right now they will not sell it to you at the full price.

Dealer I know was chatting with me on the subject. He said he was surprised how many people bought unsubsidized iphone 4 models even though the same phone at the apple store would be unlocked. He said they don't really make any reasonable money on those full priced sales unless they are buying the applecare and accessories but the full priced buyers often do get a bunch of accessories too which is why they didn't just tell people to order it from Apple.

I cannot come up with any good reason not to just buy the phone on contract at Telus if you were willing to be buying at full price and locked to Telus anyhow.

If you want to cancel right away then why would you buy a full priced locked phone?
    If your old contract is not yet finished then why not pay off the remaining balance and renew right away? It's still cheaper.
    If you wanted the phone to be unlocked then just order it from Apple. Shipping time is 3 weeks. If it were so important you had the iphone 5 right away you would have pre-ordered it. 3 weeks isn't that long.
    If you want to stay on Telus for a while then plan to ask to have the phone unlocked and cancel down the road it could still be cheaper to go on a contract and allow Telus to finance your purchase until the date you planned to leave. You need to wait 90 days to request the unlocking. After 7 months you start to save money even after you add the $50 unlock and the $50 cancellation fee on top of the remaining balance.

Examples:
    Cost to buy direct from Apple: $699
    Cost to buy from Telus on 3yr: $179 ($520 device balance)
    Cost if you cancel and unlock phone with Telus at 10 months: $179+$50+$50+$375.56=$654.56 (cheaper than buying from Apple at this point)

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    If you wanted the phone to be unlocked then just order it from Apple. Shipping time is 3 weeks. If it were so important you had the iphone 5 right away you would have pre-ordered it. 3 weeks isn't that long.
    Some people were planning to line up on the first day to get an unlocked iPhone so they didn't preorder it only to find out after shipping slipped to 3-4 weeks that the Apple stores would not sell unlocked phones.

FYI. You can buy an outright locked phone from the Apple store if you have one in your city.

Phone
    IPhone4S 64gb white & BB 9900 & HTC HERO (all current)
    Carriers
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    Usually that would be true but they are not selling any at Telus without the contract at this point in time. No outright sales of the iphone 5. The website only lists 3 year pricing with the device balance amount, there is no option for just buying the phone at full pricing. Almost certainly it's a temporary thing but right now they will not sell it to you at the full price.

Dealer I know was chatting with me on the subject. He said he was surprised how many people bought unsubsidized iphone 4 models even though the same phone at the apple store would be unlocked. He said they don't really make any reasonable money on those full priced sales unless they are buying the applecare and accessories but the full priced buyers often do get a bunch of accessories too which is why they didn't just tell people to order it from Apple.

I cannot come up with any good reason not to just buy the phone on contract at Telus if you were willing to be buying at full price and locked to Telus anyhow.

If you want to cancel right away then why would you buy a full priced locked phone?
    If your old contract is not yet finished then why not pay off the remaining balance and renew right away? It's still cheaper.
    If you want to stay on Telus for a while then plan to ask to have the phone unlocked and cancel down the road it could still be cheaper to go on a contract and allow Telus to finance your purchase until the date you planned to leave. You need to wait 90 days to request the unlocking. After 7 months you start to save money even after you add the $50 unlock and the $50 cancellation fee on top of the remaining balance.

Examples:
    Cost to buy direct from Apple: $699
    Cost to buy from Telus on 3yr: $179 ($520 device balance)
    Cost if you cancel and unlock phone with Telus at 10 months: $179+$50+$50+$375.56=$654.56 (cheaper than buying from Apple at this point)

telus device balance is what i prefer . unfortunately my unlimited data plan is at bell. theres no way i give this up. my bb is with telus and that corp national 15 is the only thing keeping me around.