Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: US Cellular vs. Verizon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Eastern, NC
    Posts
    8
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0

    US Cellular vs. Verizon

    First time post here everyone so go easy....For the past two years I have got all the answers I need about my US Cellular service by lerking.(Thanks) I would like to get a more personalized opinion about my experience/options if ya'll can help.
    I have been a USC customer for many years and I am happy. I started getting the itch for a new phone since it has been a while since I upgraded and I currently have a mesmerize. Service in eastern NC has never been an issue, for this area there is only two options (my opinion) US Cellular or Verizon.
    The only issue I have had is when I travel. Using data is usually glitchy. When I travel to S.C., V.A., P.A., I like to use my navigation on the phone to find restaraunts, bars, and so on...but it becomes a bear trying to use it while roaming. This brings me to Verizon. Most of the places I travel to have Verizon service and it would not be an issue then correct?. I do not travel a lot but when I do I want to use my phone.
    1. Does anyone have any better experience while traveling using US Cellular?
    2. Is it worth the price diiference to swith carriers to Verizon (2 smartphones). I am on a Belief Plan now w/ 1500 minutes, 5gb, and free averything else.
    3. Will the SIII make any difference while roaming?

    I think Jerry12 and several others have or had both services and live in my area so I know there is some experience with this same issue out there?

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,616
    Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Roaming data is always hit or miss. Of course Verizon has a huge network vs USCC. While Verizon is a roaming partner service is never a sure bet on the data side. I'd go with Big Red, just my two cents. USCC has great coverage in native markets but they are not so great for some one who travels the country in my opinion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marion, Iowa, United States
    Posts
    22
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree, if the pricing is within your range (Verizon is a slight bit higher than US Cell, just compared both) go with Verizon, hands down. More phones to choose from and a bigger network.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,694
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Data roaming is always sketchy and the 200mb limit while roaming can be a pain. If you truly travel often outside USCC native coverage I would also advise going with Verizon.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,143
    Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabster View Post
    Roaming data is always hit or miss. Of course Verizon has a huge network vs USCC. While Verizon is a roaming partner service is never a sure bet on the data side. I'd go with Big Red, just my two cents. USCC has great coverage in native markets but they are not so great for some one who travels the country in my opinion.
    Agree, and also just want to add that the S III won't help with roaming--that's generally a network issue. And, if you travel, you won't have the benefit of LTE, as you can't roam onto VZW's LTE network.

    Verizon's 4G network.

    I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    454
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2 - Prior phones: HTC Hero S, 7 Pro, Desire, Touch Pro, several dumbphones
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Agree, and also just want to add that the S III won't help with roaming--that's generally a network issue. And, if you travel, you won't have the benefit of LTE, as you can't roam onto VZW's LTE network.
    I wonder if an LTE roaming agreement will eventually be reached, as was the case with 3G.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greenville , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,353
    Phones
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Note III
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd179 View Post
    First time post here everyone so go easy....For the past two years I have got all the answers I need about my US Cellular service by lerking.(Thanks) I would like to get a more personalized opinion about my experience/options if ya'll can help.
    I have been a USC customer for many years and I am happy. I started getting the itch for a new phone since it has been a while since I upgraded and I currently have a mesmerize. Service in eastern NC has never been an issue, for this area there is only two options (my opinion) US Cellular or Verizon.
    The only issue I have had is when I travel. Using data is usually glitchy. When I travel to S.C., V.A., P.A., I like to use my navigation on the phone to find restaraunts, bars, and so on...but it becomes a bear trying to use it while roaming. This brings me to Verizon. Most of the places I travel to have Verizon service and it would not be an issue then correct?. I do not travel a lot but when I do I want to use my phone.
    1. Does anyone have any better experience while traveling using US Cellular?
    2. Is it worth the price diiference to swith carriers to Verizon (2 smartphones). I am on a Belief Plan now w/ 1500 minutes, 5gb, and free averything else.
    3. Will the SIII make any difference while roaming?

    I think Jerry12 and several others have or had both services and live in my area so I know there is some experience with this same issue out there?

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    In this area U.S.Cellular is better than Verizon. I live in Black Jack and have to use a Verizon NetWork Extender to use my Verizon phones in the house. A few weeks ago i was in Kill Devil Hill , NC for a few days and my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx had better signal than my USCC Galaxy S3 but the Galaxy S3 had issues with cell signal any way. Best coverage in eastern NC U.S.Cellular.
    Jerry

    Join uscc April 17 2004. Samsung Galaxy Note II , Samsung Galaxy S III

    Verizon on 7/2011 Droid Razr Maxx , Droid 4 , Samsung Galaxy Note III

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    457
    Phones
    Apple iPhone 4s-Me
    Apple iPhone 4s-Mom
    LG VX8350-Dad
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry 12 View Post
    In this area U.S.Cellular is better than Verizon. I live in Black Jack and have to use a Verizon NetWork Extender to use my Verizon phones in the house. A few weeks ago i was in Kill Devil Hill , NC for a few days and my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx had better signal than my USCC Galaxy S3 but the Galaxy S3 had issues with cell signal any way. Best coverage in eastern NC U.S.Cellular.

    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there Jerry. In my opinion, US Cellular USED to have the best coverage in Eastern North Carolina.....not anymore they don't. Again my opinion. I have been with Verizon for a long time now, and can honestly say I have never really had any coverage or dropped calls issues here in Eastern North Carolina. I have been to Black Jack, little Washington, Williamston, Ahoskie, Belhaven, Vanceboro, Plymouth, Edenton and even way far out in the country, and I still had coverage on my
    phone. So to me and in my opinion, I think Verizon is better than US Cellular.
    ICanHearYouNow

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greenville , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,353
    Phones
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Note III
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    What I am going by I can't use a Verizon phone in my home with out a Network Extender & now days that is where most people use there phones. Verizon sent a Network tech out here to check the area where I live & he said there wasn't a good signal here & that I needed to get a Network Extender & that is what I did so I could use the phones. In my house the signal is - 115 DBM & out side it is - 95 to 100 DBM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,688
    Phone
    HTC One M8/Samsung Galaxy Note 3/Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just force your Verizon phone to use USCC's network, that USED to be easy, I couldn't tell you how to do it on an new phone. We used to be able to lock phones to use only one network back in the day.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Eastern, NC
    Posts
    8
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I guess it comes down to how bad I want data coverage while I am traveling? I am obviously going to get better coverage with Verizon on the road from what everyone is saying. If I'm just talking about the coverage for Eastern NC then I guess they are both on par with each other?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    457
    Phones
    Apple iPhone 4s-Me
    Apple iPhone 4s-Mom
    LG VX8350-Dad
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would say, if you travel locally and regionally in native US Cellular coverage or stay in your home area the majority of the time, go with US Cellular. They still have good phones and deals. But if you travel a lot out of town/state out of US Cellular coverage, go with Verizon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greenville , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,353
    Phones
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Note III
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHearYouNow View Post
    I would say, if you travel locally and regionally in native US Cellular coverage or stay in your home area the majority of the time, go with US Cellular. They still have good phones and deals. But if you travel a lot out of town/state out of US Cellular coverage, go with Verizon.
    Why did you tell him to go with uscc when you disagreed with what i told him and you said Verizon was just as good here in the east ?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    237
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry 12 View Post
    Why did you tell him to go with uscc when you disagreed with what i told him and you said Verizon was just as good here in the east ?



    I travel quite frequently and never have had any problems with USCC. So, as far as better coverage with Verizon goes, they are pretty much the same. UNTIL you reach the rural areas. And yes, I have had Verizon in the past, as well as Sprint. Luckily with Sprint I was able to force roaming capabilities on the old Palm Treo.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greenville , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,353
    Phones
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Note III
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by n1philli View Post



    I travel quite frequently and never have had any problems with USCC. So, as far as better coverage with Verizon goes, they are pretty much the same. UNTIL you reach the rural areas. And yes, I have had Verizon in the past, as well as Sprint. Luckily with Sprint I was able to force roaming capabilities on the old Palm Treo.
    I Agree that U.S.Cellular has Better Rural Coverage than Verizon at least that is what i have seen but Icanhearyounow disagreed with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. us cellular to verizon CDMA 2125i unlock?
    By wgreco in forum Nokia Modding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
  2. US Cellular or Verizon?
    By Justin33 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
  3. U.S. Cellular and Verizon Wireless interoperability
    By 10-08Whitfield in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 10:36 AM
  4. Use SE44/47 ALLTEL/US CELLULAR on Verizon
    By MetsBaseball9 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 04:44 PM
  5. Cellular-News: Verizon nears 35 million subscribers
    By eakenn in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 02:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks