Thread: How does porting work? I'm moving soon from Rogers.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

How does porting work? I'm moving soon from Rogers.

What exactly do I have to do? I'll probably trade in my SII for an SIII, and really want to keep my number. Who do I contact? Rogers, or Telus? Best thing to do is go into a store, or can I do it over the phone? How long does it take to get my number switched? Sorry for the n00b questions, but I never considered switching until recently.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    no need to talk to rogers
    just tqlk to telus and.they will port you

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Just go to a TELUS store or call, you will need to make it faster your Rogers account #.

Once you pick your phone on TELUS, the port will start, you will receive call on your Rogers phone and call on your new TELUS.

transfer take between 15mins to 2h~ normally, once you receive TELUS text message saying your transfer is done, you are free from your Rogers phone.

PS. legal transfer time is 48h, in rare case if you don't provide right info, this will go crazy long, so be sure to provide your account number from Rogers if you want everything to go as planned.

You never have to speak with Rogers, once the phone is in transfer, Rogers knows you canceled with them.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sweet. That easy. I'll probably wait for the next sale on the SGS III, and away I go.

Sent from my SGH-I727R

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Another question. Telus CID, just the number, or name and number?

Sent from my SGH-I727R

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman2k2 View Post
    Another question. Telus CID, just the number, or name and number?

Sent from my SGH-I727R
    Just the number

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. That's what I'm getting now with Rogers, as I went with the mini voicemail pack.

Anyways, next question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I jumped on a new 3-year with the 6Gig SuperPlan that Rogers had offered, starting Aug. 8. I have, however, paid off the device subsidy, so there is nothing owing on the phone. Having read through the contract, and the fine print on the agreement email that I have, my cancelling the line, should be no more than $12.50, but I'm not sure how to calculate the data termination. Is there a formula that's easy to figure out, or a max total they charge?

Feedback Score
    If you paid off your device subsidy there will be no data termination fee.

DH is offline I've got more phones than fingers
    Feedback Score
    Also Best Buy has the SIII for $0 and there's no activation fee. BB also is offering a $50 gift card. Unfortunately you will be paying Telus $8 more for the same, but without Name Display, or Visual Voicemail Plus. I'm considering doing the same thing as you too. Need to check out Future Shop.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B407 View Post
    If you paid off your device subsidy there will be no data termination fee.
    Thanks for the info. I've just been really disappointed lately with Rogers coverage with the new areas I'm going to for work. Bellus phones work just fine, and I'll drop calls left and right. From what I've read, I think I'd also prefer Telus' customer service as well. So I think that's where I'm headed.

DH, I've got the 6Gig super plan, and I don't use all the data. I'm thinking the Flex Data plan would work for me, as I haven't gone over 2 Gigs yet, and until the 14, they're offering an extra gig at no charge, so 3 gigs for $65 with CID and voicemail. Works out to be cheaper for me, by around $5. Check it out.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I ported over to Telus from Rogers almost a year ago because of Rogers' terrible network (dropped calls and poor data speeds/non-existent data were far too frequent). I walked into a Telus retail store, ported my number over and was out in about 15 minutes (I used my own unlocked phone). I pay a little more with Telus but I don't recall ever having any issues. I've found coverage to be better than Rogers, data is rock solid, and dropped calls are a distant memory. Telus is awesome.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I did it. Went to Chinook Mall in Calgary here, and went to the Telus store first. They couldn't match the deal from across the hall at the BestBuy Mobile location, so I went to BestBuy. Quick service, properly done, took 15 min. from start of process to walking out with a new S3. Great phone, and within 20 min, I was fully ported. The network has been solid, data is faster than the same place on my couch with the Telus phone over the Rogers phone, and the voice calling is great. Can't help but say, I made the right decision. Thanks to all for the quick answers to my questions. Much appreciated.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman2k2 View Post
    Well, I did it. Went to Chinook Mall in Calgary here, and went to the Telus store first. They couldn't match the deal from across the hall at the BestBuy Mobile location, so I went to BestBuy. Quick service, properly done, took 15 min. from start of process to walking out with a new S3. Great phone, and within 20 min, I was fully ported. The network has been solid, data is faster than the same place on my couch with the Telus phone over the Rogers phone, and the voice calling is great. Can't help but say, I made the right decision. Thanks to all for the quick answers to my questions. Much appreciated.
    You made the right choice as there is no comparison between Rogers & Belus in the West. Great phone too!

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure what the process is now, but when I ported a few years back, I had to actually call Bell to close the account - the number had been ported out and the account suspended but not closed - and I had to pay for a month of service even though I had ported out due to their "one month notice" policy.
    iPhone 5, 32GB white: Nov. 21, 2012 - BELL
    iPhone 4, 32GB white: Sept. 2, 2010 to Nov. 21, 2012 - ROGERS