Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone. $99 for Device, $15/30 a month.

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have been using my Home Phone as my primary cell phone now for a week. I carry a messenger bag to work, so I put the base station and a corded handset in one of the pockets. The battery lasts plenty for the day. I still have an Android phone and a FreedomPop free data hotspot device so I can get SMS on Google Voice. And for those times I really do need a cell phone, I have a T-mobile SIM with a few dollars in it that expires in a year. We just bought a new car, so I'm trying to save money. We'll see how long I can go with this.

I even bought an antique replica phone on Amazon. I thought about carrying that in my bag, but it is really heavy and the receiver is hard to hold. But if I'm feeling obnoxious, I may use that for my cell phone sometimes.
    I'd like to get this for my landline (my wife hates cell phones) but we really need name caller ID. So many annoying calls we can ignore if we know who is calling. You'd think after all these years, they'd have name caller ID over cell phones.

Phone
    iPhone 6 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    15.00 a month = 180.00 a year plus 99.00 for the device = 279.00

netTalk

29.95 a year + 59.90 (includes shipping) for the device = 97.95

I've tried several VOIP providers for a small business I run from my home. netTalk has been the best.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    netTalk
    29.95 a year + 59.90 (includes shipping) for the device = 97.95
    ???
    $50 for the wired Ethernet. includes 1yr of service.
    $65 for the wi-fi version (also includes 1yr of service)
    I don't see a $60 device.
    (Interesting their comparisons don't reference the MagicJackPLUS yet)

MagicJackPLUS $70 includes the first year of service (Standalone device like the NetTalk DUO)
    MagicJack $40 (this version has to be connected to a computer that's up and running)

$30/year after that (or $20/yr if you buy 5 years at once)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    I have been using my Home Phone as my primary cell phone now for a week. I carry a messenger bag to work, so I put the base station and a corded handset in one of the pockets. The battery lasts plenty for the day. I still have an Android phone and a FreedomPop free data hotspot device so I can get SMS on Google Voice. And for those times I really do need a cell phone, I have a T-mobile SIM with a few dollars in it that expires in a year. We just bought a new car, so I'm trying to save money. We'll see how long I can go with this.

I even bought an antique replica phone on Amazon. I thought about carrying that in my bag, but it is really heavy and the receiver is hard to hold. But if I'm feeling obnoxious, I may use that for my cell phone sometimes.
    I'd like to get this for my landline (my wife hates cell phones) but we really need name caller ID. So many annoying calls we can ignore if we know who is calling. You'd think after all these years, they'd have name caller ID over cell phones.
    Good job, buddy

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    netTalk has been the best.
    Does netTalk have fax support? I know faxing is mostly outdated but some government entities such as the Small Business Administration who hand out loans to corporate welfare queens still use or require it.
    Last edited by PaulRyAynRand; 10-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Paul Ryan has worshipped this Russian atheist for most of his life.

Feedback Score
    I have one of these:

http://www.cobraphonelynx.com/

So as long as you have a bluetooth capable phone you can use any cellular plan you like connected to your home phone.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @shawnlg: So, we're full circle back to the bag phone now, are we?

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but my first bag phone cost $32 per month for 45 minutes of airtime. But it too had an external antenna and a battery. And it could do faxes and modems at 4800 baud.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using HowardForums

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    God Bless the long-gone virtues of analogue cellular!

Carriers
    Straight Talk (T-mo)
    Feedback Score
    Google voice and a $39 OBi100 adapter = free calls.

Been using this setup for a long time, works awesome.

j

Phones
    iphone 5
    iphone 5
    iphone 5
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have Ooma as well.

One hint to anyone interested though.....I bought my Ooma hub at Costco. The first hub I had went belly up after 24 months. Ooma told me it was too bad but no longer covered and I would have to purchase another. I took it back to Costco and they let me exchange it, in fact, they let me return it and buy another. Since the hubs were $20 cheaper the 2nd time around I bought myself some steak too!

So, if you can, purchase your hub at Costco where you can always return it.

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    For Home phone, ooma is the much better alternative IMO.
    I bought an ooma device at the end of 2008, paid $140 back then and haven't paid a single cent ever since for domestic long distance. I am able to use a regular phone as well, just like with Vonage. I have wired the ooma device into the second line of my house wiring, so I am using my existing phone outlets throughout the house. One difference to ST and Vonage: that there is no contract (Vonage), and no monthly fee (both Vonage and ST).
    It works great!

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycinla View Post
    Google voice and a $39 OBi100 adapter = free calls.
    Until Google changes that. For a few years now they have only promised to be free through the current year.

Who knows when they might decide to start charging or what they will charge.

Back on topic, the ST device looks interesting, but I still think it's priced too high for what it provides. It's just a CDMA phone with an interface for a handset (RJ11 jack). It should not cost any more than a no frills cell phone. The handset interface is cheaper than the display and keypad. it replaces.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utopium View Post
    I have one of these:

http://www.cobraphonelynx.com/

So as long as you have a bluetooth capable phone you can use any cellular plan you like connected to your home phone.
    That looks interesting.

Does it pass incoming caller ID info along to the attached handset device from the cell phone?

Feedback Score
    I receive telephone and internet service through my cable company. Right now I am paying $55 per month (and a surcharge on the combined internet/telephone router) for what is, essentially, VOIP. This service seems attractive, though I have learned from Straight Talk that I will not be able to port my phone number (not a big deal).

I know this is a new service but how has it been working for people? I use a telephone very little. If I can get decent voice service at a decent price....that's all I want. Will this provide it?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post

The antique phone is funny. Do you know if the home phone will roam between towers while driving?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast