Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Must you sign a two year contract?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Must you sign a two year contract?

I was in a Sprint store the other day, and I asked them how much it would take to start a monthly plan without signing a two year contract. (heck, I also asked if I could substitute a Boost phone I own for one they'd try to sell me in the store.)

They told me no on both counts: no service without a two year agreement ("but you might be able to get something monthly online") and no Boost or any other Sprint prepaid variety phone.

What say you forumers? Are they crazy, or am I?

Sent from my Kyocera Rise

Phones
    LG Volt
    LG Volt
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They get no money without a contract. You'll need to buy your phone and start the plan on your own.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Sprint is still in the dark ages - on many fronts but I'll address your two questions.

They are crazy - but not for answering you that way. They were completely truthful to you.

As far as I've ever been aware, if you want to start service with Sprint - 2 year contract only (I think some small like 200 minute emergency plan is exempt). You have to have a 2 year contract whether you take a subsidy, bring your own phone, just want to open a line for the hell of it, etc. I've never gotten the reason for this foolish and stupid practice but here we are.

Second question - Sprint being a CDMA carrier they only allow their own branded phones on the network for the most part. Once again, I'm sure some exceptions exist - they always do, but this is pretty true too for the most part. If Sprint didn't sign off and have the phone made for them, they won't even think about turining it onto their network.

I would strongly suggest you look into GSM phones and going through the zillion post-paid and prepaid options available. You have a lot more control over your phone and can swap phones easily. Also, a much larger portion of the world is on GSM technologies so you get a much larger selection to use.

Phone
    Galaxy S4, LG F3, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    AT&T , GoPhone, AIO,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post

I would strongly suggest you look into GSM phones and going through the zillion post-paid and prepaid options available. You have a lot more control over your phone and can swap phones easily. Also, a much larger portion of the world is on GSM technologies so you get a much larger selection to use.
    I'm pretty sure Primetechv2 lives in a smaller town where carrier selection is minimal.

It can be done with a bit of an effort and I replied to his post in the Boost forum how to do it.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Almost two years ago, I had bought a Sprint phone from someone else in the hopes of going month-to-month with Sprint. I assumed since I was bringing my own device, I wouldn't be locked into any agreement. Alas to my utter shock and dismay, I was wrong and was locked in and there'd even be an ETF for getting out. So, I canceled within the 30 day return period (now reduced to 14) and got rid of the phone.

It was a lose-lose for them and myself. In their greed to keep me locked in for two years, they got zero income from me, whereas I would have been happy to go month to month and give them at least some money, even if not guaranteed for 24 months, but better a few months than 0. Foolish decision.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Almost two years ago, I had bought a Sprint phone from someone else in the hopes of going month-to-month with Sprint. I assumed since I was bringing my own device, I wouldn't be locked into any agreement. Alas to my utter shock and dismay, I was wrong and was locked in and there'd even be an ETF for getting out. So, I canceled within the 30 day return period (now reduced to 14) and got rid of the phone.

It was a lose-lose for them and myself. In their greed to keep me locked in for two years, they got zero income from me, whereas I would have been happy to go month to month and give them at least some money, even if not guaranteed for 24 months, but better a few months than 0. Foolish decision.
    Yeah, this contract thing is getting out of hand. Tmobile has started their Value plans with a contract and NO subsidy of any phone. I'm well aware Tmobile has subsidy offerings and truly no contract offerings - but why are we heading in the direction of more lock downs instead of less?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4S 16GB
    LG Optimus S (Purple/Charcoal)
    LG Rumor Touch (Purple)
    Carrier
    Sprint (ED Family 1500)
    Feedback Score
    You used to be able to take the cheap 200 minute plan with no contract if you had your own phone. You could then change your plan to a "regular" individual plan and still be out of contract. Not sure if you can still do this or not.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Primetechv2 lives in a smaller town where carrier selection is minimal.

It can be done with a bit of an effort and I replied to his post in the Boost forum how to do it.
    Indeed, there are no GSM carriers anywhere in my area. At least none that have 3G or even 2G...unless you consider slower than dialup 2G. Funny, I'm hearing their commercial now.

Yep, I'm cross posting but only because it had to do with a delightful brick and mortar store.

Quote Originally Posted by klimb22 View Post
    You used to be able to take the cheap 200 minute plan with no contract if you had your own phone. You could then change your plan to a "regular" individual plan and still be out of contract. Not sure if you can still do this or not.
    I know it's still possible to switch plans at basically any time. That's one feature they pimp constantly.

Feedback Score
    1: buy a cheap o Sprint branded flip phone.

2: goto store and ask to have it activated on the Month to Month plan for $39.99/month. If they profess ignorance of this plan it is in the "additional voice plans" section of the current Sprint rate plan brochure.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/indirect/sprintplans.pdf

Month-to-Month Plan
    (200 Anytime Minutes)
    Additional minutes are 45˘/min., roaming minutes are 69˘/min., plus 25˘/min. roaming long distance. Includes: Unlimited Nights and Weekends with Nights starting at 9 PM and Nationwide Long Distance. For Sprint phones only. No Roaming Charges may be added to this option for an additional $5/mo.**
    3: call in change the phone on your account to a Sprint branded smartphone (assuming you want a smartphone) and the plan will be changed without incurring a contract.

4: Realize that Page Plus or some other CDMA MVNO would probably be a much better choice.

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    iPhone 5 Sprint
    Blackberry 8530 Boostmobile/iPhone 4s (Sprint/Straight Talk/Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Sprint (2000-Present) Straight Talk AT&T SIM (2012) Page Plus Cellular (2012)
    Telcel Amigo Prepaid Mexico(2011-Present) Nokia 252N with Telcel(1999) and Iusacell(2000)
    Feedback Score
    I was able to add a line to my Family Plan last year without a contract but i tried it this year and wasn't allowed.
    When i did it it was with account services.
    Sprint User Since 2000 & AT&T GoPhone since 2013
    Free 3G Verizon Roaming with custom PRL

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
    2: goto store and ask to have it activated on the Month to Month plan for $39.99/month. If they profess ignorance of this plan it is in the "additional voice plans" section of the current Sprint rate plan brochure.
    Last week I went to a Sprint store in our town, picked up their brochure, found the plan, and asked them if I could buy it. They told me flat-out no, that was a plan but it was only being sold online.

Which is why, I am sure, it is advertised in print.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Must you sign a two year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Last week I went to a Sprint store in our town, picked up their brochure, found the plan, and asked them if I could buy it. They told me flat-out no, that was a plan but it was only being sold online.

Try telesales?

Sent from my EVO LTE using HowardForums

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post

CS I was chatting with on sprint.com also claimed ignorance when I gave him this link. He actually politely referred me to the boostmobile site (lol).

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Must you sign a two year contract?

I took a sprint phone that a friend gave me to the sprint store to hook it up but the sales guy said I would have to get one of their phones on contract. The phone wasn't that old so it was a weird policy. I've never tried sprint again after that.
    Running too many phones

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    I took a sprint phone that a friend gave me to the sprint store to hook it up but the sales guy said I would have to get one of their phones on contract. The phone wasn't that old so it was a weird policy. I've never tried sprint again after that.
    Well, after yesterday's announcement, you will be able to do Sprint as-you-go no contract monthly service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast