Thread: Should I be charged for two upgrade fees?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Should I be charged for two upgrade fees?

I have just spent a half hour trying to figure out my most recent phone bill. Lesson learned: Don't make more than one change of any type during a billing cycle. I finally think I have it all figured out but believe I was charged for one upgrade fee I shouldn't have been charged.

I bought the iPhone 5 on one line on my family plan and was charged the upgrade fee at the time I placed the order. (Not when it actually shipped but on the 14th when I placed the order.). After I received the phone, I activated it on a different line and they charged me the upgrade fee on that line on the date I activated the phone. Phone was never activated on the line it was ordered on but either way, I don't believe I should have been charged twice for the upgrade fee.

Can anyone verify that I should have only been charged once for the upgrade fee? I'll call tomorrow or Monday to request they remove it.

(It would have been easier to figure out if I hadn't done all of the following during this billing cycle: switched my three line family plan to the shared data plan on 9 Sep; added one iPad to the plan on that date; activated the iPhone 5 on the 26th; added a second iPad on the 29th. And did I mention that I activated the 5 on what was the main line.....and for some reason she moved the family share to a different line so that made it more confusing.)

Phone
    iPhone 5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You shouldn't have been charged twice. You should request they remove both upgrade fees. If the csr is in a good mood they might do it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using HowardForums

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There should only be one upgrade fee if you only purchased one subsidized phone. The upgrade fee is billed on your next billing statement and not at the time of purchase (at the store or online). OP, are there two fees on your latest statement or just one?
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    There should only be one upgrade fee if you only purchased one subsidized phone. The upgrade fee is billed on your next billing statement and not at the time of purchase (at the store or online). OP, are there two fees on your latest statement or just one?
    There are two fees listed, one on the original number on the date I placed the order with Apple.com and one on the number the line was actually activated on on the date of activation.

And I definitely only purchased one phone.

thanks for your response.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
    There are two fees listed, one on the original number on the date I placed the order with Apple.com and one on the number the line was actually activated on on the date of activation.

And I definitely only purchased one phone.

thanks for your response.
    Were the two fees listed online? If so they often get adjusted by means of the audit department. Most, if not all, large scale database apps like Oracle have that feature built in. It happens before the billing extraction.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This was on the actual bill. I waited for the cycle to close and bill to be posted before I even tried to figure it all out.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Did you perhaps use the term "upgrade" when you activated the iPhone on the other line? As soon as you upgrade, the fee is billed for collection on your next statement. When the iPhone 4S came out last year, I ordered the telephone for my wife because I had used her upgrade to get the iPhone 4 the year before. Before the telephone was shipped, she changed her mind. I cancelled the order. They did not automatically cancel the upgrade fee. I had to email them to get the upgrade fee removed from the line with the cancelled order.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Earl, I'm pretty sure I said activate. I'll call tomorrow to get one of the upgrade fees removed.

thanks guys.

Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When employees sign up for AT&T service through Premier they are asked to pay the $36 activation fee up front with their credit card along with the hardware, tax and associated shipping costs. The one time charges are pretty laid out online and straight forward.

Then after the fact employees often complain that they see another $36 activation fee when they get their first bill. I get this all the time.

Just got done fighting with Premier and NBS last week about this very issue and my colleague had to get a copy of his credit card statement as proof because the reps claimed they can't see the order details. AT&T's billing glitch needs to be fixed before they get accused of double dipping from some consumerist group.