Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,415
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    0

    How to select roaming network (4S on iOS 6)

    My friend is visiting Vancouver from Seattle with her AT&T locked iPhone 4S, on iOS 6, and it's roaming on Telus. She has been unable to receive SMS from anywhere since she got here, although roaming voice calls work fine (and she has data roaming turned off). AT&T can't figure it out and suggests coming back to the USA to solve the problem (eyeroll).

    Anyway I suggested she might want to try changing it to a different roaming network such as Rogers or Bell (although Bell uses the same towers), because sometimes roaming carriers have difficulty communicating with the home carrier. Then I realized I couldn't find a damn menu anywhere that would list networks and let her choose one.

    Then I figured, okay well maybe if we disable 3G, that'll force it to Rogers, because they're the only 2G carrier in town. But there is also no 3G switch.

    Is there anything my friend possibly could have done to force it to a different roaming network?

    I would have tried her SIM in my phone but I didn't have a micro adapter.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,802
    Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am usually able to select a roaming network when I am using my iphone outside the US.

    Settings->General->Network-> then the here should be an option that will show the current network. and allows one to select/change it. Again, this menu will only show up if outside the US while using an AT&T sim, or with a non-AT&T sim in the phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,415
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    0
    Settings>General>Network no longer exists. It's been reorganized. There is now a Cellular menu and it allows data to be turned on/off but there is no network select. There was a menu option somewhere that displayed Telus as the carrier but there was no option to scan or change it.

    And yes this is an AT&T SIM roaming in Canada.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,802
    Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Oh, Ok. My bad. I am still using IOS 5.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    976
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Settings>General>Network no longer exists. It's been reorganized. There is now a Cellular menu and it allows data to be turned on/off but there is no network select. There was a menu option somewhere that displayed Telus as the carrier but there was no option to scan or change it.

    And yes this is an AT&T SIM roaming in Canada.
    Okay TECHNICALLY that doesn't exist, true, (Network is no longer there) but the directions are still valid: Go to Settings - General - Cellular (pic 1) and THAT allows cellular data/3G/Date Roaming to be turned on and off (pic 2). BUT to actually switch networks you have to go In Settings and there should be a tab call Carrier (pic 3), go to that, turn off "Automatic" and then the network selection should appear (pic 4)Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 6037
Size:  93.7 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 6014
Size:  149.1 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 5935
Size:  121.1 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 5973
Size:  86.0 KB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,415
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    0
    AT&T must have asked Apple to neuter it. My friend's phone has no Carrier menu, and no Enable 3G toggle.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Phones
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy Duos
    Huawei E583C/Virgin Mobile MIFI
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    My friend is visiting Vancouver from Seattle with her AT&T locked iPhone 4S, on iOS 6, and it's roaming on Telus. She has been unable to receive SMS from anywhere since she got here, although roaming voice calls work fine (and she has data roaming turned off). AT&T can't figure it out and suggests coming back to the USA to solve the problem (eyeroll).

    Anyway I suggested she might want to try changing it to a different roaming network such as Rogers or Bell (although Bell uses the same towers), because sometimes roaming carriers have difficulty communicating with the home carrier. Then I realized I couldn't find a damn menu anywhere that would list networks and let her choose one.

    Then I figured, okay well maybe if we disable 3G, that'll force it to Rogers, because they're the only 2G carrier in town. But there is also no 3G switch.

    Is there anything my friend possibly could have done to force it to a different roaming network?

    I would have tried her SIM in my phone but I didn't have a micro adapter.
    If she has a locked iPhone, then her phone is carrier locked to whoever AT&T has a roaming agreement to in Canada and in this case, it is Telus. Telus and Bell Mobility roam their 3G networks to provide better coverage. My understanding is that with UMTS/HSDPA is that voice, data and SMS go through the 3G network eventhough SMS is supposedly to go the voice network. You can't disable 3G either, cause then her phone will essentially be on airplane mode and that's what happened on the older iOS on my Bell network. I assume it is on the Telus too. You can turn Cellular Data on or off on iOS 5.1.1 and that has the effect of turning off 3G, but as her phone is carrier locked to AT&T, then the roam carrier will be locked to Telus.
    Last edited by luv2travel; 10-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Phones
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy Duos
    Huawei E583C/Virgin Mobile MIFI
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    Okay TECHNICALLY that doesn't exist, true, (Network is no longer there) but the directions are still valid: Go to Settings - General - Cellular (pic 1) and THAT allows cellular data/3G/Date Roaming to be turned on and off (pic 2). BUT to actually switch networks you have to go In Settings and there should be a tab call Carrier (pic 3), go to that, turn off "Automatic" and then the network selection should appear (pic 4)Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 6037
Size:  93.7 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 6014
Size:  149.1 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 5935
Size:  121.1 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 5973
Size:  86.0 KB
    I think you are running an older iOS, perhaps iOS 4. With iOS 5.1.1 and 6 I believe only have Cellular Data and Data Roaming options available. The "Enable 3G" is useless with phones that need to be on a 3G network for voice and data with the exception of Rogers. If you disable 3G, then essentially a Bell phone will be put into airplane mode.

    In regards to locked iPhones. You have no choice in carrier selection because it is locked to a certain carrier, this case it is AT&T and its roaming partner Telus.

    If she travels often, getting an unlocked iPhone would be her best bet.
    Last edited by luv2travel; 10-07-2012 at 07:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,415
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    If she has a locked iPhone, then her phone is carrier locked to whoever AT&T has a roaming agreement to in Canada and in this case, it is Telus.
    Incorrect. AT&T does have a roaming agreement with Rogers for both 2G and 3G, as well as Bell & Telus 3G, and probably other regional carriers like MTS, SaskTel, TbayTel etc. AT&T customers with non-crippled OSes are able to switch back and forth. Going to 2G-only would force it to Rogers because they're the only roaming partner with 2G.

    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    My understanding is that with UMTS/HSDPA is that voice, data and SMS go through the 3G network eventhough SMS is supposedly to go the voice network.
    Of course. On a 3G connection, everything goes through 3G, all the time. Is this surprising?

    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    One other thing about SMS texting that it counts as a roaming event even if you have data roaming disabled, at least with Bell, so if Telus is the same than perhaps it's not such a good idea to text and pay unnecessary charges.
    I suspect that if she turns on data roaming back as well as cellular data (if iOS 6.0 has them; pretty sure it does), then SMS will start working again albeit not at her native AT&T plan if she has UL texting.
    She has an AT&T roaming package that covers some text messages. She has already paid for them.

    Turning data roaming off should have no effect on SMS. It was connected to Telus' 3G network for voice and SMS. Sometimes MMS requires a data connection but never SMS.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    976
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    I think you are running an older iOS, perhaps iOS 4. With iOS 5.1.1 and 6 I believe only have Cellular Data and Data Roaming options available. The "Enable 3G" is useless with phones that need to be on a 3G network for voice and data with the exception of Rogers. If you disable 3G, then essentially a Bell phone will be put into airplane mode.

    In regards to locked iPhones. You have no choice in carrier selection because it is locked to a certain carrier, this case it is AT&T and its roaming partner Telus.

    If she travels often, getting an unlocked iPhone would be her best bet.
    Incorrect: iOS6 as is shown by Pic 1 (where it has "Cellular" instead of "Network") and pic 3 (where it has Bluetooth in the main settings page as well as "Do Not Disturb") Enable 3G was removed with the release of iPhone 4s but then at one of the iOS updates after that it was put back in. There's a thread in these forums somewhere in fact where (I think it was Efparri) I got yawned at for bringing up "old news" lol!

    You're correct in that disable 3G is useless on telus and bell, but it was still in iphone 4 when it was released and since it was put back in the iphone sometime after iOS 5.0 (the 4s release operating system version) it would have to be disabled carrier by carrier, I would imagine. OR possibly (as iphone does) if it's on a network that doesn't support a certain feature, that option may simply not appear. (so on pure assumption, there could be a switch in the Telus network telling the iphone it can't disable 3G, so it doesn't and therefore you don't see the option to turn it on or off and since you can't force the phone into 2g, it can't see Rogers. But that's all pure speculation) but I assure you, I am most definitely on iOS 6 and on Rogers:

    Name:  photo.PNG
Views: 6016
Size:  77.1 KB

    and AT&T most definitely has roaming agreements with Rogers.
    Last edited by XFF; 10-13-2012 at 04:29 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,415
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    0
    The lack of a 3G switch is AT&T's doing, not Telus. Telus iPhones have a 3G switch despite the fact that it's equivalent to airplane mode.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Phones
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy Duos
    Huawei E583C/Virgin Mobile MIFI
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Incorrect. AT&T does have a roaming agreement with Rogers for both 2G and 3G, as well as Bell & Telus 3G, and probably other regional carriers like MTS, SaskTel, TbayTel etc. AT&T customers with non-crippled OSes are able to switch back and forth. Going to 2G-only would force it to Rogers because they're the only roaming partner with 2G.



    Of course. On a 3G connection, everything goes through 3G, all the time. Is this surprising?



    She has an AT&T roaming package that covers some text messages. She has already paid for them.

    Turning data roaming off should have no effect on SMS. It was connected to Telus' 3G network for voice and SMS. Sometimes MMS requires a data connection but never SMS.
    If the carrier setting is set to "Auto", then it will select the dominant signal in the area she's in. You can always set the carrier setting to manual and let it scan for additional providers and that's how you can select a different carrier. But seeing that you're not having any luck at this, this could mean that her locked phone does not allow a selection of a carrier other than Telus irregardless if AT&T has an agreement with other providers. The agreement with other providers simply mean that her phone will always have service in a region with whatever provider that has the best signal or only signal.

    While turning data roaming off should have no effect on SMS, sending a SMS message or receiving a SMS message from the outside country of origin can be considered roaming and roaming charges apply as she has a US phone number roaming in Canada. While your friend purchased a text roaming package and depending how AT&T and Telus arranged the agreement, roaming SMS can be considered a data service. If you read the data roaming description, it did say that on top of MMS, it also prevents other data services from coming through if you have data roaming off. That's why I suggested that perhaps turning on Data Roaming might restore her texting service.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Phones
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy Duos
    Huawei E583C/Virgin Mobile MIFI
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    Incorrect: iOS6 as is shown by Pic 1 (where it has "Cellular" instead of "Network") and pic 3 (where it has Bluetooth in the main settings page as well as "Do Not Disturb") Enable 3G was removed with the release of iPhone 4s but then at one of the iOS updates after that it was put back in. There's a thread in these forums somewhere in fact where (I think it was Efparri) I got yawned at for bringing up "old news" lol!

    You're correct in that disable 3G is useless on telus and bell, but it was still in iphone 4 when it was released and since it was put back in the iphone sometime after iOS 5.0 (the 4s release operating system version) it would have to be disabled carrier by carrier, I would imagine. OR possibly (as iphone does) if it's on a network that doesn't support a certain feature, that option may simply not appear. (so on pure assumption, there could be a switch in the Telus network telling the iphone it can't disable 3G, so it doesn't and therefore you don't see the option to turn it on or off and since you can't force the phone into 2g, it can't see Rogers. But that's all pure speculation) but I assure you, I am most definitely on iOS 6 and on Rogers: Name:  photo.PNG
Views: 6016
Size:  77.1 KB

    and AT&T most definitely has roaming agreements with Rogers.
    Actually, Enable/Disable 3G is on iOS 6.0, but it will only show up when it's available as an option in the area that supports it.

    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf

    While AT&T most definitely have a roaming agreement with Rogers, it doesn't mean you're going to lock into a poor signal, when Telus may have a stronger 3G signal presence than what's available from Rogers. It's like this. You have a radio and it can receive many channels, but only 1 out of the many channels in a specific area is clear whereas others will have noise or full of static. That's going to bethe predominant channel unless you move somewhere else in the boonies where all you're gonna get is Rogers, then the phone will hone into Rogers. Unless her locked AT&T phone allow the manual ability to select carriers, then it's stuck with Telus.
    Last edited by luv2travel; 10-08-2012 at 12:54 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    234
    Phones
    Galaxy Nexus & iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy Duos
    Huawei E583C/Virgin Mobile MIFI
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    The lack of a 3G switch is AT&T's doing, not Telus. Telus iPhones have a 3G switch despite the fact that it's equivalent to airplane mode.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums
    And your point? As I said before, it's the problem with a locked iPhone. There is no problem with an unlocked iPhone and you can force Rogers having inserting a Rogers SIM or whatever you want. With a locked phone, you're at the mercy of your provider. Which is why, my next smartphone phone will be "UNLOCKED". Having an unlocked phone provides so much freedom. Besides, Telus and Rogers OFFER unlock options for $50 on iPhones for people on contract and then you can go with Roam Mobility and text as much as you want till your fingers come off for Canadians in the states. And that's what I did with my Samsung Galaxy Duos as well as with my Windmobile Hotspot unlocked.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,415
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, with an unlock she could have used a different SIM (and it's eligible for a free AT&T unlock soon but not quite yet). But she needed to receive messages being sent to her USA number while in Canada. Ergo the AT&T SIM needed to stay in.

    Quote Originally Posted by luv2travel View Post
    You can always set the carrier setting to manual and let it scan for additional providers and that's how you can select a different carrier.
    You can't if the option has been deleted from the menus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 09:33 PM
  2. roaming/network selection issue
    By jeffro01 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 01:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 11:23 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 12:26 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 09:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •