Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Straight Talk Charge Fees for Refilling OnLine or by Phone?

Feedback Score

Why Does Straight Talk Charge Fees for Refilling OnLine or by Phone?

Why is Straight Talk charging Federal fees when refilling by any other means than buying a refill card? I was charges two Federal fees with my auto-refill payment (in addition to sales tax which is expected) and I have been told that the same fees are charged if you manual refill by calling or going to the website. None of these fees are charged if you purchase a refill card. No other prepay carrier is charging these fees. What makes ST different that it charges these fees?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    N/A
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe its the state you live in, or maybe they have recently changed what your charged. Goodluck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HowardForums
    TIM G

Feedback Score
    This is a complete guess, but my theory is that Straight Talk may be required to pay those fees regardless of the method of refill, but it is just easier and simpler to sell the refill cards at a flat price, so they "eat" the fees from those refills (i.e., Straight Talk pays the fees out of the $45 rather than passing along the cost along to the end-user), whereas it's easier to pass along the cost of the fees to people who refill directly by credit card.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post
    This is a complete guess, but my theory is that Straight Talk may be required to pay those fees regardless of the method of refill, but it is just easier and simpler to sell the refill cards at a flat price, so they "eat" the fees from those refills (i.e., Straight Talk pays the fees out of the $45 rather than passing along the cost along to the end-user), whereas it's easier to pass along the cost of the fees to people who refill directly by credit card.
    Probably unfair, but yes makes sense. Grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience stores are not set up to charge FCC fees/911 fees in their cash register system -- just regular taxes.

However with my autopay discount, my taxes are being waived and I'm only paying 76 cents more than the $45 so it's not bad.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Feedback Score
    How are your taxes being waived? If you live in a state that has sales tax Straight Talk has to collect sales tax from you. The $2.50 discount may make up for some of the sales tax but you are still paying it.

I posted this question because other prepay companies do not charge these Federal fees.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    How are your taxes being waived? If you live in a state that has sales tax Straight Talk has to collect sales tax from you. The $2.50 discount may make up for some of the sales tax but you are still paying it.

I posted this question because other prepay companies do not charge these Federal fees.
    I have a feeling he probably meant "offset" rather than "waived."

It is a good question. My assumption is that you're paying these fees no matter which carrier you have. It's just a difference of whether the fees are broken out as a separate line-item or are silently built in to the cost. Straight Talk has apparently decided to do it differently depending on whether you use a refill card vs. a credit card, probably for no other reason than that they can get away with it.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post
    I have a feeling he probably meant "offset" rather than "waived."

Perhaps they are being offset, but my Straight Talk statement shows no taxes. Here it is again, but I also I posted it over in the autopay discount thread.

My credit card statement, showing two charges for me and my wife:

My own Straight Talk statement, for both August and September. (My wife's is identical.) We live in Georgia. And don't ask me to explain why my credit card was charged $45.76 but Straight Talk statement shows $45.77. I have no answer.

I signed up during the time of the autopay discount promotion, but my statement shows no discount and also doesn't show taxes.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 10-10-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Carriers
    StraightTalk
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know how you pulled that off too. I live in NH where we have NO sales tax and the one month
    I did autopay ST charged me taxes and fees. When I called and asked why, they just told me that is how
    it works with autopay so I canceled autopay and am living with having to remember to buy refills at
    the local Walmart.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of sales tax, just today I purchased a 3-month refill card at the local Walmart, and didn't get charged a dime of sales tax! I was surprised; Idaho has a flat 6% sales tax rate, and as far as I know nothing is exempted, so I'm not sure why or how... I'm pretty sure that if I drive over to a Walmart in Washington and buy a card there, I'd get charged sales tax.

-- Nathan

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    Speaking of sales tax, just today I purchased a 3-month refill card at the local Walmart, and didn't get charged a dime of sales tax! I was surprised; Idaho has a flat 6% sales tax rate, and as far as I know nothing is exempted, so I'm not sure why or how... I'm pretty sure that if I drive over to a Walmart in Washington and buy a card there, I'd get charged sales tax.

-- Nathan
    With the price of gas here in Hawaii close to $5.00 a gallon, that's regular by the way. I'd rather pay $31.86 for the $30.00 plan and $47.79 for the $45.00 plan. I'll burn more than a gallon and don't have to put myself at risk with some crazy drivers we have nowdays.

Phones
    Samsung Intrepid
    samsung intrepid
    Carrier
    boost
    Feedback Score
    Just a thought, but it could be costs associated with processing a credit card payment.

Sent from my N860 using HowardForums

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    With the price of gas here in Hawaii close to $5.00 a gallon, that's regular by the way. I'd rather pay $31.86 for the $30.00 plan and $47.79 for the $45.00 plan. I'll burn more than a gallon and don't have to put myself at risk with some crazy drivers we have nowdays.
    In the little rural college town I live in, the local Walmart is 2 minutes away from me. Also, I just discovered that walmart.com won't charge sales tax to Idaho residents for the electronically-delivered refill "cards", so I can order refills that way, too, from the comfort of my home.

I think it's because in Idaho, you are technically paying for a service, and services are not taxable, while in Washington, service fees are subject to the same sales/use tax as goods are.

-- Nathan

Carriers
    StraightTalk
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    The price of gas is outrageous everywhere and I don't blame you. If I had to drive a significant distance to Walmart I'd stick with the auto-refill convenience too.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Why is Straight Talk charging Federal fees when refilling by any other means than buying a refill card? I was charges two Federal fees with my auto-refill payment (in addition to sales tax which is expected) and I have been told that the same fees are charged if you manual refill by calling or going to the website. None of these fees are charged if you purchase a refill card. No other prepay carrier is charging these fees. What makes ST different that it charges these fees?
    who knows why.might ask you congessman about that.if you dont like paying it get your refill card from wally world.simple

Feedback Score
    If you purchase the airtime card online, you are not charged the E911 fee, but you are charged sales tax. If you buy the airtime card in the store, you are charged the E911 fee AND state sales tax. This is for Indiana.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast