Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone LG 840G spotted in store

Feedback Score
    Hi! I joined just because I got this phone and wanted to share a few things.

First, I got Opera Mini 7 to run without the annoying navigation keys. I downloaded the Opera Mini 7 .jad file from the Opera website. I then edited it in Notepad to include this line at the end:

Navi-Key-Hidden: true

Saved the modified file and installed it.

It now runs full-screen, and uses its own keyboard to enter text.

This method might work with other apps as well.

To load full-screen videos on your phone from your computer, you can use Mobile Media Converter from Miksoft. Do a Google Search for it.

Works on Mac, Linux and Windows.

Install it and drag and drop your video(s) into the window. From the "Conversion To:" menu, choose "Iphone/Ipod with Subs" and hit the button marked "Advanced" .

The "More Configuration" menu will come up. On both "Audio Bitrate" and "Video Bitrate", the lower the number, the less quality, but smaller the file. Higher numbers will be better quality but take up more space. Video FPS (frames per second) should be set to your preferred quality...a smaller number is more "jittery" but a smaller file, and a larger number is smoother but takes more space. If you're encoding a 4:3 (square) video, make sure "Video Size" is checked and enter "320:240" in the space beside it. If you're encoding a 16:9 (rectangular) video, make sure "Video Size" is checked and enter "320:200" in the space beside it. Audio Frequency: higher is better quality and larger file, lower is lesser quality and smaller file. You can also choose to only have one mono channel instead of a stereo channel, which will also save space.

I fiddled with the settings to compromise between small size and decent quality then converted the files. I got the size down to about 2-3 mb per minute, which will give you about 20 hours of video on a 4gb card, plenty for casual watching.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Correction: after installing a few apps, I realized I have to add a bit more to the JAD file:

Navi-Key-Hidden: true
    Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
    MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE
    MIDlet-Landscape-Support: true
    LGE-MIDlet-Width: 240
    LGE-MIDlet-Height: 400
    LGE-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
    LGE-MIDlet-Display-Mode: both

Probably the Nokia line is superfluous, but when I copy this into the JAD file, it works perfectly. I installed Google Maps from a homemade JAD file and inserted these lines and it runs without the annoying on screen nav keypad.

Feedback Score
    Where exactly can I find a signed version of Opera mini? Which version did you use? When you save the adjustments to the JAD file, can you save it to the desktop (or dropbox) and then BT it over? I tried UCBrowser but the keyboard blocks the entire screen. Did you have any luck there?

Feedback Score
    Okay, I got this to work with Opera Mini...but haven't had any success with UCBrowser. How do I get this to work?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A feature I do not remember having seen mentioned yet-
    Tap the top information bar (signal strength, battery power, etc.) and you get a drop down shortcuts window.

Feedback Score
    eBay seller "shopcelldeals" has new LG 840Gs for $44.99 shipped. Ordered one yesterday.

Phones
    Lg800g
    LG420 and LG 800g
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I like that way of accessing the vibrate mode better than bumping the vol. control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    A feature I do not remember having seen mentioned yet-
    Tap the top information bar (signal strength, battery power, etc.) and you get a drop down shortcuts window.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ciliegia View Post
    Where exactly can I find a signed version of Opera mini? Which version did you use? When you save the adjustments to the JAD file, can you save it to the desktop (or dropbox) and then BT it over? I tried UCBrowser but the keyboard blocks the entire screen. Did you have any luck there?
    I got Opera Mini directly from Opera's website. I don't think my version is signed, as I still get the "untrusted midlet" warning when using Tracfone's data. On Wifi, that warning goes away. It's a bit slow to respond to keystrokes and other input, but it works and loads pages fast.

UCBrowser wouldn't log in to several sites, so I gave up on it. I did get the nav keyboard off of it, though.

Carrier
    TF
    Feedback Score
    Hello all,
    Waiting for my LG-840G to arrive in the mail soon. Great forum here and great suggestions/hacks! I'm sure I'll have questions at some point!

Carrier
    TF
    Feedback Score
    Got the new phone - trying to mess with wifi but it says "activation needed"! I thought you could access wifi without activating it?
    "Hoping my ship comes in before the dock rots!"

Carrier
    TF
    Feedback Score
    Got it working - had to figure out how to get to the menu showing the wifi icon! :-) Now to get a pop server working...

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyfxt5xeu5...0.2-484255.jad

Has anyone been able to find a signed version of Google Maps 3.0.2? I shared a jad file without the virtual keypad and touchscreen but have been unable to find a way to sign the app... If anyone has been so lucky; would you please share with the rest of the community on how to modify the jad file????

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 01rs25subaru View Post
    Has anyone been able to find a signed version of Google Maps 3.0.2?
    but have been unable to find a way to sign the app... If anyone has been so lucky; would you please share with the rest of the community on how to modify the jad file????
    You need to use the signing tools from the Java developers site. I found them a few weeks ago, but didn't save/install them, nor save the links.
    Look for info on J2ME distribution on the main Java site.

I don't know that it would work though. Some of the BB threads suggest that Google apps have to register with a server before they will work, and Google may have disabled (or might in the future) the servers the Java apps use.

I may try it later though, as I'd like to be able to reinstall GMaps. I just don't have time at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Hello. Fellow noobie here.

I just replaced my LG 800G with a new LG 840G.

Initial impression was very positive. Feel like a nice quality phone. Heavy, with a real glass screen, instead of having a 100% plastic exterior like the LG 800.

Anyways, got everything transfer over onto the new phone without any issues through TF's website. I remember last year, when I tried to update the phone to the LG800, it was a hassle. TF's website was bugged or something. Would keep refreshing to the main page only. I had to call it in. They said I needed a new SIM card, so it took about a week to get everything swapped over.

1 thing that I'm annoyed by is, this phone doesn't appear to have any vibration settings. Unless I somehow missed it completely?

2, Platinum Sudoku 2 doesn't work. I went to Gameloft's website and it no longer has the game. I was able to download it onto the LG800 sometime last year from there. I tried transfering it onto the SD card and putting it on the phone, but it doesn't show the game on the card.

I found a website called umnet.com. Downloaded a few games off there. Angry Birds and found Platinum Sudoku 2 there to download. But I get some kind of landscape message error. It automatically shuts the game down after like 5 seconds. The error is in landscape, but from what I can tell, the game is in portrait.

Also, the games I was able to download, I would have the navigation arrows on the bottom of the screen. I can not figure out how to remove this option. On the LG800, there was a simple option to mark off in the Game icon. On the LG 840, I've looked for this option and makes playing a few of the games difficult. Cuts off the lower part of the game.

I was able to download Mini-Opera with the update keyboard pre-installed. But I dont really like it. The buttons are too small and pain in the *** to hit hte right key.

*edit*

I discovered the vibrating key.
    Last edited by TracFoneNoobie; 12-29-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    I just bought this phone and got my contacts imported as .vcf's via bluetooth. They're all showing up, but I have 2 issues I can't solve:

1) The sort order is by first name, and I can't find an option or setting anywhere to change it to last name. Anyone find a fix yet?
    2) Contacts which are companies (no first or last name) show up under "N" in the Contact list as "No Name". Is this a phone issue or .vcf format issue?

Thanks for any help!

- Mike

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast