Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone LG 840G spotted in store

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Those nav buttons on the Opera Mini screen should be able to be controlled somewhere in an installed applications manager type area in the phone. When I first started using OM a few years ago on my T-Mobile Nokia Nuron, I saw this same type of thing, and it took a tip from someone on the forums here to help me figure it out. So obviously the phones are different, but functionally there should be a place where the application settings (different from the Settings area in the running app) can be selected. Something like what Lisme suggested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by durango214 View Post
    Picked up my new LG 840G at the Napa CA Wally today. Charging now, will do the activation dance tomorrow. I plan to activate the 840 with a new phone number and transfer over my existing minutes - any special tricks for that?
    If you want the least aggravation, call the better CS at 800-876-5753 or the best CS at 800-626-4883. They seem to be kind of suspicious of transfers, like you are stealing someone else's minutes. So expect a question or two about donor phone details.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Really? It's a lot faster than the gaming consoles I played on in the 80s and 90s, better than most of the '80s arcade machines, better than my PC in the 90s too.
    Yea, but it's not the 1980's and 1990's anymore. It's almost 2013

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Yea, but it's not the 1980's and 1990's anymore.

But games were perfectly playable back then. I still play those games today, on the computer, newer consoles, and even the original systems (Yes, my Atari 2600 still works)
    I also use MAME/MESS on the computer to play the original arcade ROMS.

So, the phone has plenty of computing power for fun, playable games.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Yea, but it's not the 1980's and 1990's anymore. It's almost 2013
    This phone isn't a Galaxy S III, either.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Had an interesting time getting my new LG 840G activated. First I went to the tracfone website and entered all my information to upgrade from my old tracfone. It said it could take a few hours. Six hours later, nothing happening. So I went to the tracfoneforum and signed up, made my request for activation. At first it seemed OK, someone responded in a few minutes. From there on it was all downhill. They have some truly weird requirements, like you have to have 5 posts on the forum to get PM turned on, for 'security reasons'. Huh? The tracfone person (Jayme) must have been working with several people because there were multiple long absences. Anyway, won't bore with the details but three hours later my LG 840G is up and running. I do like it - previously was using a Motorola C261. Don't laugh. Obviously I'm not a power user of cellphones. Haven't had a full time job since 2009 and just don't need and can't afford big $$$ per month for an iPhone or anything like that. But I wanted to be able to check my email and have been with tracfone since 2003 so when I noticed the 840G becoming available I decided to make the jump.

So I'm learning my LG 840G and am fairly impressed with the improvement over the old phone. One thing - the phone feels very slippery in my hand. The C261 had a rubbery surface that was easy to hold, the LG 840G feels easy to drop. Does anyone know of a sleeve for it that would help?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by durango214 View Post
    Picked up my new LG 840G at the Napa CA Wally today. Charging now, will do the activation dance tomorrow. I plan to activate the 840 with a new phone number and transfer over my existing minutes - any special tricks for that?
    Try not to call this # (800) 867-7183 which lasted 70 minutes ... and which caused some aggravations.

- Communication problem.
    - Did not transfer the correct amount of minutes and Service days.
    - at first they gave me less than 10% of my leftovers on the old phone.
    - when I told them that it was totally wrong... they went back and pieced together my old phone data... and finally they came up with the correct amount.

So if you don't have too much time to waste try not to do it through the above overseas #.
    Somebody mentioned they may get suspicious... but I don't see why, because from my experience, they can piece everything together/verify all the data on their computers.
    PS Make sure you write down the *#0 and *#30 codes before calling (minutes and service days left as well)... because they will erase them while on the phone with them ... and it will be hard to contest it if something goes wrong.

Feedback Score
    Please excuse my ignorance here, but I have an LG800g and I see everyone is blowing these out the door at low prices, presumably cause the LG840 is here, and if I understand someone here right, 2G is going away?
    Also, does WiFi mean I can take an LG840 to a Starbucks with free WiFi and use the phone to surf the web for free?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Also, does WiFi mean I can take an LG840 to a Starbucks with free WiFi and use the phone to surf the web for free?
    Yes ......

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    if I understand someone here right, 2G is going away?
    At some-point, yes. The speed at which that happens depends on the area and the need to free up space for 4G.

AT&T started offering free upgrades in NYC from 2G to 3G back in March
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...hone-upgrades/

It will happen in the big cities first (there are lots of rural areas that still don't have 3G).
    2G won't disappear at first, but it'll be limited, with fewer cells and fewer channels, so lots of weak/no coverage areas (sort of like rural areas now).

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Edge won't be completely shut down till 2017 or so at&t says. Like ST Dog said it will be large cities and spectrum starved areas that will get pushed off it first. I don't think I would panic thinking you are going to be without service any time real soon. I sure will be happy when edge is completely filled in with HSPA though.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Cool

So far there hasn't been anything made for the LG 840g from the looks of things. But, LG does make LG T375 which is basically the 'real phone' version of the Tracfone LG 840g. Amazon is selling screen protectors for the LG T375, I just received a set of them...5 for $1.99 + no postage. They aren't the typical screen protectors, you only have to peel the back off with no top cover to remove. They aren't too bad and cover the phone well, they'll do until they come out with ones made for the 840g. If you're interested, just put in LG T375 in the search bar and they'll show up.

So far there isn't any cases showing up, although on page 33 of the manual it says you shouldn't use them, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything comes out.

Phones
    Lg800g
    LG420 and LG 800g
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks folks! Very interesting. Probably in Sokane County it wont be a problem for awhile, but I travel alot to big cities so I may have to get an 840 to try it out.....

Feedback Score

LG 840g at HSN

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    Thanks folks! Very interesting. Probably in Sokane County it wont be a problem for awhile, but I travel alot to big cities so I may have to get an 840 to try it out.....
    Now's a good time to try it out - HSN finally has the LG 840g today for $99.95 with 1400 mins, 1 year service, and Triple Minutes for Life!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM3997 View Post
    Now's a good time to try it out - HSN finally has the LG 840g today for $99.95 with 1400 mins, 1 year service, and Triple Minutes for Life!
    I see they have gel skins for it too.
    Looks like black, blue, red, purple, leopard, and zebra

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast