Thread: Galaxy S3 Reception

Phones
    Droid Pro
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S3 Reception

Tried out a Galaxy S3 last night. While I know that signal strength bars alone are not a good indicator of how good the phone's reception is, I WAS getting only 1 bar while holding an S3 in one hand and 5 bars on an iphone 4s in the other.
    Call quality, while useable was not terribly good on the Galaxy S3 either. Is its reception really this bad or might I have been trying out a lemon?

Phone
    LG G2, iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Tried out a Galaxy S3 last night. While I know that signal strength bars alone are not a good indicator of how good the phone's reception is, I WAS getting only 1 bar while holding an S3 in one hand and 5 bars on an iphone 4s in the other.
    Call quality, while useable was not terribly good on the Galaxy S3 either. Is its reception really this bad or might I have been trying out a lemon?
    It's that bad.

Phones
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Note III
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless / U.S.Cellular
    Feedback Score
    yep the S3 has issues.
    Jerry

Join uscc April 17 2004. Samsung Galaxy Note II , Samsung Galaxy S III

Verizon on 7/2011 Droid Razr Maxx , Droid 4 , Samsung Galaxy Note III

Phone
    LG G2, iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry 12 View Post
    yep the S3 has issues.
    You can take what you hear from Verizon reps with a grain of salt, but today they tell me that "I'm the only customer they know of who has issues with the Galaxy S3". Last week the rep said, "Oh yes it's a known issue that there is weak performance on that phone and Samsung is working hard on an update to fix it". They refuse to budge that it's a phone issue because I got a new one during the 14-day return period, therefore ruling out any handset issues. They've had me do multiple firmware updates, master resets, new SIM cards, etc. It's getting old.

Today, they've opened a network ticket for the area where I work. Nevermind that I told them, numerous times, that everyone else on Verizon has no issues, and that it performs poorly *everywhere* I go, multiple cities, multiple cell sites, and even across multiple systems (Milwaukee, Chicago, and Indianapolis systems all behave the same, although Milwaukee wasn't nearly as bad as the others for some reason).

All in places I frequent regularly, and never had a single issue on my Motorolas or even the HTC Rezound. CS was supposed to text me with the ticket number so I can call back in a couple days. That never happened. If I don't hear anything in the next few days, it's going on Craigslist and I'm going back to a Moto. Which irks me, considering these things are only going for $380-450 on CL (after I just paid over $600 with tax full retail), and a new Moto is going to set me back at least $600.

Anyway, you live and you learn. The GS3 is a really nice phone, except that it doesn't work as one. If anyone else is considering one, keep in mind that if you are ever in areas with less than stellar reception, you will probably have issues with this phone. If anyone remembers AT&T Wireless (the old one) in 2000-2001, it's about the same experience as that. No more Samsung for me, however.

Feedback Score
    Really. so far I like the phone. now I'm a little worried. Although I haven't had a reception problem yet.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How's the reception compare to the Galaxy Nexus?

Phone
    LG G2, iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln View Post
    How's the reception compare to the Galaxy Nexus?
    I haven't spent too much time with a Galaxy Nexus, but when I did I had more problems with it holding the LTE signal than I did with the 1X/voice signal. I don't have an issue with losing 4G signal on the S3 (although it still isn't quite *as* strong as my previous phones), but the 1X radio seems atrocious. But then again, other people say they have no problems at all, so YMMV.

Feedback Score
    ok. Realized I was having dropped calls. Only had 2 bars while in a building. I went to Verizon and they did a software update that he said would fix it. Still don't know. It went from 2 bars to 3-4 bars. So maybe.

Phones
    Blackberry Storm
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I dropped a call 3 times with 3 bars of 4G reception which pretty much pissed me off lol. I use to get the No Sim error from my S3 at an intersection in an area where I live. I resolved the issue by updating my phone from the VZW OTA update. Here's the funny thing I have an Iphone 5 from work, at the same intersection I looked at both phones, the Iphone 5 had 3G and my S3 was on 4G. I verified this twice already, seems like my S3 has better reception so I guess I don't feel that bad lol.
    If ignorance is bliss and patience is a virtue, you'll have a good life if your dumb enough to wait.

Phone
    LG G2, iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cp44 View Post
    I dropped a call 3 times with 3 bars of 4G reception which pretty much pissed me off lol. I use to get the No Sim error from my S3 at an intersection in an area where I live. I resolved the issue by updating my phone from the VZW OTA update. Here's the funny thing I have an Iphone 5 from work, at the same intersection I looked at both phones, the Iphone 5 had 3G and my S3 was on 4G. I verified this twice already, seems like my S3 has better reception so I guess I don't feel that bad lol.
    I have no complaints about the LTE reception, it's not the best, but I still hardly ever lose 4G. And yes, it does seem to hold the 4G connection better than the iPhone 5.

Problem is, phone calls don't run over 4G (or 3G even), but on the 1X system. I can have 4 bars of LTE but drop calls, forcing the phone into 1X will almost always show 0-1 bars of 1X. Outdoors at my work I get around -98dBm, with an interstate running through the back of the campus in the middle of a metro area. Other Verizon phones see between -80 and -90 outdoors there.

I don't fault Verizon, I know their network is fine. I've been offered other phones as remedies by them, but they currently don't have any phones that compare specs wise, so for now I suppose I'm stuck. I'm not taking a handset that's a year out of date to replace one only a few months old. Just doesn't seem right.

Feedback Score
    I'm looking into this phone and keep reading about reception issues. Has this been addressed in any of the recent updates? Has anyone who had poor reception seen an improvement?

Is there a certain version of the phone that has no reception issues? I recall reading online somewhere that if you look under the battery next to the Internal Ram there should be a -BR to the right of it. Apparently, this version of the phone is supposed to be better reception-wise.

I like the specs of this phone but I live on a fringe area and reception is pretty important. I may have to trade specs for service but would like to get the S3.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Galaxy S3 Reception

Check out discussion on US Cellular forum. Also different radios (CDMA, GSM) may have differences.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I've looked on here in the USC forums and found nothing ultimately related. Would you mind sharing a link to the thread(s) you are referencing?

My searches have turned up threads from when the phone was first released through October-ish. I've Googled it and see there are known issues with the Samsung radios but it does seem to be somewhat hit or miss. The only truly informative post I've found was in reference to the version of the phone (S3 reception issues) It is a recent post but no follow-ups to it.

I broke my phone today and am impressed with the S3 but turned off by the reception. I was hoping a software or OS release would have addressed this. Not being able to find any recent threads about updates leads me to believe the issues still exist. That or I'm a complete moron and not using the correct search terms.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Who is your carrier?

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

In the us cellular forum, thread electify m vs s3. There are several owners there you could pm. Those are cdma phones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast