Thread: Can you switch a Net10 or StraightTalk android to Tracfone service?

Phones
    LG420G, Samsung Galaxy Centura both w/Tracfone
    LG420G
    Samsung Galaxy Centura S738C
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Red face Can you switch a Net10 or StraightTalk android to Tracfone service?

Hi,

This is the first time I've ever posted and have only rudimentary knowledge of cellphones, so I apologize if these seem like stupid questions. I've been reading the various TF threads, but can't really find an answer to these.

For reasons I'd prefer not to get into, I'm stuck using Tracfone service. Have no choice. Can't switch. I have been dying for a real, honest-to-heaven smartphone so I can access the internet and run apps while on the go (like price checking while shopping, getting directions, etc.) I'm a 24/7 caregiver, so my normal state is "crunch mode" and every moment precious, trying to accomplish ten things at once. I've been very frustrated since I've never been able to get online using my LG420G, though I think I'm supposed to be able to do so. Every time I try to go online, I wait and wait and wait and finally get a message saying I don't have enough memory. I have tons of minutes banked since I make very few calls and don't do a lot of texting and to be able to access the internet would be a good use of my minutes.

I have two questions:

First, do I have to do something special, is there a "trick" to browsing online using Tracfone? Do I have to start at a certain place online, etc. in order to be able to get on the web with the tracfone?

Second, I understand that Tracfone still has no android smartphone, yet Net10 and StraightTalk do. I was wondering... since all three are part of the same parent company, can you get around this by buying a phone from Net10 or StraightTalk and then having the service switched to Tracfone?

Thanks. As I said, I'm a newbie, and apologize if my questions seem ridiculous.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    I can't answer the forst question, but the answer to your second question in no.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyRed View Post
    I've been very frustrated since I've never been able to get online using my LG420G, though I think I'm supposed to be able to do so.

First, do I have to do something special, is there a "trick" to browsing online using Tracfone? Do I have to start at a certain place online, etc. in order to be able to get on the web with the tracfone?
    Nothing specal, and the LG420G should be able to browse (at EDGE speed).
    See the tutorials under "Browsing and Content Downloads" here:
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/t...73&cid=1920877

If the "Access the Browser and Check for Connectivity" tutorial doesn't work on your phone, then something is wrong. I'd contact TF through their forum and see if they can fix it. It may be some settings wrong that they can reprogram, or they may replace the SIM or even the whole phone.

Second, I understand that Tracfone still has no android smartphone, yet Net10 and StraightTalk do. I was wondering... since all three are part of the same parent company, can you get around this by buying a phone from Net10 or StraightTalk and then having the service switched to Tracfone?
    Nope. No way to use a smartphone on TracFone at this time.
    While TF, NET10, and ST are parts of the same parent, the phones/minutes aren't interchangeable.