Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Casio G'zOne C811 (Rugged Android) pre release thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XRAM View Post
    And now I am sucked back in. As a GzOneaholic, I can't resist the temptation. Specs look ok for what I need it for, but really wish it came with jellybean and not ICS. I shut off all sounds except the ringer at night, but in ICS....the ringer and notifications are tied together.
    They should do a OS upgrade to Jelly Bean at some point. The guy at my Verizon store said that's a possibility with this phone and Verizon can do that remotely (don't have to bring it in to the store)

Phones
    Casio Commando
    Casio Commando
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Great to see the new commando is finally available! My current rooted commando has been great and my upgrade is effective late August so hopefully by then the first adopters have figured how to root the new one.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score

Disappointed with Battery

Quote Originally Posted by claysmith894 View Post
    The specs dont look as bad I originally thought.
    I don't really mind the processor speed, the lack of memory, or the relatively low resolution camera, I am happy to compromise on those features to get better durability. But the deal-breaker for me is the puny 1800 mah battery. What the hell good is a rugged phone is you can't take it out all day on a construction site or a camping trip without the battery dying on you?

I've been out of contract now with Verizon for over 6 months and will either keep nursing along my old Droid X with my unlimited data plan or go to the dark side and sign up with AT&T to get an S4 Active. The S4 has a battery that is nearly 50% larger.

Feedback Score
    A larger battery is offered as an accessory but I agree.i don't want to pay for something that is standard with all the other phones being offered

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A larger battery is offered as an accessory but I agree.i don't want to pay for something that is standard with all the other phones being offered
    Yeah, that is quite a bummer. Hopefully the extended battery won't make the phone in your pocket look like you're happy to see someone like the Boulder's did. What's more is that the Boulder's extended battery even came with the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bestaudioguy View Post
    Great to see the new commando is finally available! My current rooted commando has been great and my upgrade is effective late August so hopefully by then the first adopters have figured how to root the new one.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Speaking of which, I tried to root my Commando a while back, but never found any success... will there be a thread on this forum (or could we just use this thread) to keep details updated on how to root the C811?

I know I'll be looking to remove the horrid VZW bloatware ASAP.

Feedback Score
    Battery is physically the same size

Feedback Score
    A larger battery is offered as an accessory...
    Thanks, I didn't know that. If the extended battery is really close to 3000 mah and costs less than $50 this changes everything.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, loss of a physical camera button. Flash looks to be more of the same "always on, more of a light" than a flash. Charging cradle sold separately (same as with original Commando, and it was almost never available, not to mention $30 for a piece of plastic with contact leads).

I'm not overly picky, but these three things irk me. Maybe the "Glove Mode" will be good, but I have a feeling that the screen will still go bonkers at any presence of moisture, rendering the camera useless. Hopefully my local store will have one on display (they never carried the original Commando in store) so I can play with it prior to committing my two years to it sight unseen.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveClarkVT View Post
    Hmmm, loss of a physical camera button. Flash looks to be more of the same "always on, more of a light" than a flash. Charging cradle sold separately (same as with original Commando, and it was almost never available, not to mention $30 for a piece of plastic with contact leads).

I'm not overly picky, but these three things irk me. Maybe the "Glove Mode" will be good, but I have a feeling that the screen will still go bonkers at any presence of moisture, rendering the camera useless. Hopefully my local store will have one on display (they never carried the original Commando in store) so I can play with it prior to committing my two years to it sight unseen.
    The cradle thing bothers me a lot as well, as I really don't want to have to throw out my Commando cradle... paid too much for too little, only to be replaced with the same thing in the end. Maybe the wireless charging backside will be better.

I don't have too much hope for "Glove" mode, as it'll probably be just as useless as "Car" mode was for me.

Carrier
    G'zOne Type-V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XRAM View Post
    And now I am sucked back in. As a GzOneaholic, I can't resist the temptation. .
    There is no getting away dude this is your thread you are a hopeless GzOneaholic! I think this is
    really going to be a great phone. A little more info posted on PS this morning about the G shock watch part.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12584

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willmavile View Post
    Yeah, that is quite a bummer. Hopefully the extended battery won't make the phone in your pocket look like you're happy to see someone like the Boulder's did. What's more is that the Boulder's extended battery even came with the phone.

Speaking of which, I tried to root my Commando a while back, but never found any success... will there be a thread on this forum (or could we just use this thread) to keep details updated on how to root the C811?

Here's the thread I read thru to root mine. Worked great and runs SO MUCH better without all the crap. I even uninstalled permanent ones like Slacker radio and redownloaded off the store in case I ever wish to remove them later.

http://androidforums.com/commando-al...30-rooted.html

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxmann250 View Post
    Here's the thread I read thru to root mine. Worked great and runs SO MUCH better without all the crap. I even uninstalled permanent ones like Slacker radio and redownloaded off the store in case I ever wish to remove them later.

http://androidforums.com/commando-al...30-rooted.html
    Thanks for that. I'll take a look if I plan on rooting anytime soon, but I think I'm going to wait until my upgrade date in August and immediately root the C811.

Phones
    Casio Commando
    Casio Commando
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

If you want to root it there are very specific easy step by step instructions on the phandroid website. Takes about 1 hour!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Casio Commando
    Casio Commando
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here are a few screen shots of my rooted commando. Also note the read write speeds!

nothing like a rooted C771
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bestaudioguy View Post
    Here are a few screen shots of my rooted commando. Also note the read write speeds!

nothing like a rooted C771
    Nice! Now I'm almost afraid to do it out of fear of how mad I'll be at myself for not doing it sooner.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast